Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Wikiposts

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

What is the price of lettuce these days.......
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Good god, yes, a diversion on a BE thread.

Who'd have thunk it!

Mods! Mods! Control me this instant!
As (another) aside TP - I just noticed your signature - did you know that Stevie Wonder is coming to Aus? I am dying to go but it clashes with my good friend's hen night I'm gutted as it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:46 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Bloody birds keep eating mine before I get to pick them:curse:
Net them when the flowers appear.

On this note: You're right TP. Last year we grew tomatoes which lasted all season and they were absolutely superb. We also had a mandarin tree which surprisingly provided quite a few fruit given it's size.

We'd never grown a thing before and never had an interest, but I found myself excited and proud by our own home grown stuff

This year we've planted capsicums, lettuce, tomatoes, radish, herbs and gods know what so hopefully they will yield a good crop
Sounds really good ... I love growing my own stuff. I truly can't understand why this thread exists. For most meals I make, they're done in ten mins flat, which is less than most 'ready meals' take to cook. I don't have a problem with quality or freshness and do most of my shopping at Coles, Aldi and the local butcher plus a fruit store. Buy specials and freeze them...
And anything I can't get, I try to grow.
Growing your own stuff is so very satisfying.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by rabsody
As (another) aside TP - I just noticed your signature - did you know that Stevie Wonder is coming to Aus? I am dying to go but it clashes with my good friend's hen night I'm gutted as it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.
I did.

There's Simply Red in Jan, and Billy Joel in Dec... but I couldn't get a ticket for Stevie.

I don't know if he'll be back.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

And anything I can't get, I try to grow.
Growing your own stuff is so very satisfying.
For any folks reading this who live in the Port Kembla area of Wollongong I suggest you refrain from growing your own food.... though perhaps the fact that it would probably glow in the dark could be a plus point as it could also reduce your lighting costs.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

TBH, i find shopping in Australian supermarkets awful for a few reasons.

Most of the time its like shopping in Poland, and although they have some choice it could be better.

Specials. I would rather ahve BOGOF's like in the UK, but specials seems to be regional to the store, here in Canberra i can go to Coles and see something on special in the city and think "i'll get that when i go home and do my shopping" i go to my local Coles and its not on special, infact they are all different.

and lastly, the contrived "hi how are you today, doing anything good this weekend?" that the staff are forced to ask, if they dont mean it, then dont ask! i would rather it was carried out in silence.

Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
TBH, i find shopping in Australian supermarkets awful for a few reasons.

Most of the time its like shopping in Poland, and although they have some choice it could be better.

Specials. I would rather ahve BOGOF's like in the UK, but specials seems to be regional to the store, here in Canberra i can go to Coles and see something on special in the city and think "i'll get that when i go home and do my shopping" i go to my local Coles and its not on special, infact they are all different.

and lastly, the contrived "hi how are you today, doing anything good this weekend?" that the staff are forced to ask, if they dont mean it, then dont ask! i would rather it was carried out in silence.

I have never shopped in Poland. What's it like?

There's no such thing as a BOGOFF. If you purchase one thing and get another for free, you'll find that you've actually paid for that product somewhere along the lines. This is why TESCO report profit of 1.43 billion pounds in the last 26 weeks.

HP Sauce

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Oct 16th 2008 at 11:20 am.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
Silence, eh?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Silence, eh?
yes
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:29 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never shopped in Poland. What's it like?

There's no such thing as a BOGOFF. If you purchase one thing and get another for free, you'll find that you've actually paid for that product somewhere along the lines. This is why TESCO report profit of 1.43 billion pounds in the last 26 weeks.

HP Sauce
it has never ceased to amaze me how people can be taken in by marketing.
buy one get added somewhere sneakily or BOGASS should be the term
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by kporte
Indeed.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:32 am

Silence, eh?
Shhhhhh!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kporte
yeah well, i would rather pay the same price and get 2, than 20c off.

it might be marketing, but its what i like

Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:35 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Silence, eh?
they would have to provide pad and pen to ask if it's cheque or savings.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Think I've shopped in Coles, ermm, twice in the two years we've been here.
Woolies and Coles is every bit as good as Tescos or Sainsburys.

And that makes her more qualified to comment, how? I've lived here for two years now - I don't think there's any more mystery I can eke out of Coles and Woolies.
I agree with Hutch two visits in two years is more than enough to make anyone a definitive authority on Coles supermarkets.

They're the big shops with all the tills & trolleys at the front right?

If I didn't know better I'd swear your posts on this thread serve only to keep you amused on an otherwise dull day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.