Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

House selling in the UK and silly offers

House selling in the UK and silly offers

Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:15 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House selling in the UK and silly offers

Originally Posted by Prudi
I would say thanks for the link, but it makes depressing reading! I`ll say thanks for the *interesting* link! Of the 18 streets there, two of the average prices are above what the EA is telling me to expect. Yeah, I know that they are averages over time, and the price depends on a lot of different factors, but some of those prices are half what I was expecting!

You could be right about the `grooming`! He gets paid the same amount when it sells, regardless of what it sells for...

All the best for getting a decent offer on yours.
But did you click on the street name? It then shows you a breakdown.

Last edited by paulry; Jul 8th 2009 at 11:19 am.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:21 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I would say thanks for the link, but it makes depressing reading! I`ll say thanks for the *interesting* link! Of the 18 streets there, two of the average prices are above what the EA is telling me to expect. Yeah, I know that they are averages over time, and the price depends on a lot of different factors, but some of those prices are half what I was expecting!

You could be right about the `grooming`! He gets paid the same amount when it sells, regardless of what it sells for...

All the best for getting a decent offer on yours.
Thanks, and you
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Prudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud of

Yeah... The most recent sale seems to be August last year, so I don`t think I can use that as an indication of what I might get August this year? *shrugs* Wait and see, wait and see... I know my friend paid OVER the asking price for a house last month, so I`m thinking that a lot depends on the motivations of the buyer at the time...
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:52 am
Banned

Yeah... The most recent sale seems to be August last year, so I don`t think I can use that as an indication of what I might get August this year? *shrugs* Wait and see, wait and see... I know my friend paid OVER the asking price for a house last month, so I`m thinking that a lot depends on the motivations of the buyer at the time...
All you can do is get the presentation of your property right, declutter (it works wonders) and hope for the best.

Good luck Prudi
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Prudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulry
All you can do is get the presentation of your property right,
Don`t really get that! This place was a dump (ex-student house) when we bought it, and, well, we still bought it! So a little bit miffed at having to do the magnolia and white thing. But ho hum, that`s what I have to do.
declutter (it works wonders)
Oh yes, agree on that one! Looks like a different house now I have got rid of/hidden all the rubbish.
and hope for the best.

Good luck Prudi
Here`s hoping! Good luck to us all!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:25 pm
Banned

Don`t really get that! This place was a dump (ex-student house) when we bought it, and, well, we still bought it! So a little bit miffed at having to do the magnolia and white thing. But ho hum, that`s what I have to do.

Oh yes, agree on that one! Looks like a different house now I have got rid of/hidden all the rubbish.

Here`s hoping! Good luck to us all!
We haven't gone for the magnolia thing. Just applied a fresh coat of the same colour paints that we'd used (and simply washed the walls where we could get away with it). We had already gone for soft warm earthy colours and it seems to work well in our home. We also repainted door frames, skirting boards etc to give them a clean fresh look, bleached the tile grouting in the bathroom and kitchen and just generally fixed things up. Did a fair bit of gardening too.

Amazing difference the decluttering makes. And it also gets us ready for the move.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:01 pm
Banned

Nationwide offers 125pc mortgage to home owners trapped in negative equity
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:17 pm
Banned

London property: primed for a sizzling summer
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

"Devil is in the detail"
http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/for...owtopic=119431
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:30 am
Banned

Today we accepted an offer on the house for £15k below our asking price, £5k less than I actually wanted! But hey, it's a first time buyer so no chain and I have good reasons to believe that the sale will hold.

Not bad, hey.... It's been on the market for less than two weeks
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

That`s excellent news! Shame you didn`t get the price you wanted, but at least you haven`t had to wait long!
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:47 am
Banned

That`s excellent news! Shame you didn`t get the price you wanted, but at least you haven`t had to wait long!
Yes, but we really didn't know if a better offer would come our way and there are some major roadworks starting in our street in a few weeks time and lasting for the remainder of the summer (the main buying season). It's a strategic decision as much as anything else. We want nothing to hold us back here. Everything looks on track for us to be out of the UK by mid October. Now we just need our visas!

The next hoop is to arrange shipping quotes .

Last edited by paulry; Jul 11th 2009 at 4:53 am.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:50 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Today we accepted an offer on the house for £15k below our asking price, £5k less than I actually wanted! But hey, it's a first time buyer so no chain and I have good reasons to believe that the sale will hold.

Not bad, hey.... It's been on the market for less than two weeks
Well done you, you followed my advice afterall....excellent, so....how quickly could it go through!?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Well done you, you followed my advice afterall....excellent, so....how quickly could it go through!?
Thanks Jen.

I think my EA said 6-9 weeks. I'll try and make sure that it gravitates towards the upper end of that range.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:05 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jen.

I think my EA said 6-9 weeks. I'll try and make sure that it gravitates towards the upper end of that range.
Yeah, definitely, sure if it comes to it, would your new owner not let you 'rent' off them for a few weeks once the sale has gone through? Always an option!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.