Wikiposts

Happiness

Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:09 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Happiness

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Packers, 49ers and the Bengals myself. Used to play local gridiron for the Warriors and the Centurions when I first came to Brisbane in the early '90s. Made the state team against New Mexico and Arizona All-stars in '95 .

See, that's quite funny Bloke. I actually follow 49ers, but I was talking about the Eagles (as in Hotel California) doing the Superbowl.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Oh good. You'll be nice and coherent then.
Coherent.....well, just about I think, that was a serious amount of alcohol and the boss is now broke

Originally Posted by sallyclaire

Friends are great to share all of life's triumphs & disasters with & give meaning to life. They also need to be valued & appreciated, loved & respected. What you get in return is worth any perceived effort.
And you know what? True friends will always be there, in spite of what they say, in spite of what they may think of you at the time, in spite of any disagreements, they are always there at the very moment you need them.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:52 am
sarab40

sarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of lightsarab40 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Coherent.....well, just about I think, that was a serious amount of alcohol and the boss is now broke

And you know what? True friends will always be there, in spite of what they say, in spite of what they may think of you at the time, in spite of any disagreements, they are always there at the very moment you need them.
I totally agree with you...friends are just gold.
True ones are always there for you
Gx
Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:24 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people assume they have the right to be happy in life?
Why not? Is not happiness something that we can all obtain if we choose? Is it not as much as a right to be happy as it is to be sad, or depressed, or angry?
Maybe people do have the right to think they should be happy, I don't know, I tend to think of that state of mind as something which needs to be earned, not something we should get automatically.
Why do we all feel we should be dreaming of, and aspiring to be, happy?
Do we all feel that? I don't give it a thought generally in my day to day life.
I do not aspire to be anything that anyone else sets for me. That is their standard. It is not mine.
Ok, bad use of the word "all", bit of a generalisation, but I still think the majority of people feel that way.

I mean, most of us spend a large part of our lives striving to be happy, but why do we assume we have the right to achieve that happiness, to fulfill those dreams?
Why shouldn't we? As we have the right to choose our state of happiness, why should we not choose to be happy? Surely it is a better option that choosing to be sad?
Why is it a dream? Why can it not be your reality?
Its a bit like seeing happiness as good karma, do we have the right to that happiness when we have done nothing to earn it?

We will never all manage to be happy with our lot, so why do we all assume that we have a right to happiness?
That's very negative... and the third time you've spoken about happiness being a 'right'. Is it a right? Being treated like a human being is a right. Having access to clean water and being a recognized citizen of the world is a 'right'. You have the right to be treated fairly. You have the right to not be tortured. But happiness isn't on the list of things I would consider a 'right'. It's a state of mind.
Agreed, it is a state of mind - for an undetermined period of time - but there are people who feel they should be happy, whatever, that they have a right to be happy, and if there are people or things in the world preventing that happiness from happening then those things should just be removed.

Why aren't we satisfied with settling for some kind of vague acceptance of our lot in life?
Perhaps you aren't satisfied with 'settling' because to do so is to deny your potential. You decide that you 'should' settle because this is your 'family story'... one that your parents/carers bought you up with and it's what your family does. They settle. Then they moan about it. And they're all unhappy. But they're fulfilling the 'family story' or 'script'.

Do you not enjoy telling your 'script' where to get off and going ahead and doing it differently?
I do.
Scripts are generally very damaging. They define who they think we are, not who we really are.
I can recognize my 'family story'/script in some of my reactions, and choose to leave that behind. That might not be a popular choice with some people (mainly family as they don't like you to deviate from your script) but it's irrelevant what other people think of you. You are very caught up with pleasing people aren't you? And making them happy? Why is that?
Yes, I am very caught up with it, I guess it is down to my upbringing, in an environment where pleasing people outside of the family was always more important than pleasing ourselves. being "unhappy" was almost expected, sacrificing what oneself wanted in order to provide happiness or fulfilment for someone outside of the family circle. To actually aim to please oneslef was almost an alien concept - and childhood conditioning like that is hard to shake off.

Some of us spend so much time trying to make everyone else happy and not succeeding, because very few of us know what truly makes someone else happy. We bend over backwards trying to act how we think friends want us to act only to be misunderstood and get it thrown back at us, with everyone ending up miserable.
Why? Why would you do this?!!! Do you really think that you are THAT powerful that you can MAKE someone happy?
Oh honey, really, only a person can make themselves happy! It has nothing whatsoever to do with you. Nothing!
Why must you care what others think of you? Why are you trying to change who you genuinely are to meet the standard that YOU THINK other people have set for you? Is this what your family story is? To put out for all these other people and then be unhappy when they haven't succeeded?
No, I don't think I have the power to make someone else happy, I don't think anyone has that power, but I do feel that we can help someone else to achieve a happy state of mind, and sometimes I'm sure most of us do go beyond the call of duty to try and help someone else feel good - often with disastrous results. Comes down to how well we know someone else I guess, and only when you really know someone else's psyche inside-out can you truly know what will make them happy.
What makes the human soul so determined to strive for that largely imaginary state of "happiness" when settling for something less is often so much less painful and requires so much less effort?
Is it imaginary? I don't think so. It's real and achievable! Absolutely it is! Who told you it was imaginary?
As I mentioned, 'settling' is to deny your potential.
Wouldn't it be an awful shame to let some imaginary thing destroy YOUR potential?
I just feel its largely imaginary because so many people strive for it - yet never achieve it, because for many of us once we reach what we think is a state of happiness, we are already striving for something else, further on......

You have to be 100% honest with yourself... No point in going on about how you don't want it there, you never asked for this...etc. If you have this issue, then you DO want it there. You invited it in.
Would you not like to get rid of it forever? And would you be open to letting something new into your life? What is it you really want?
I actually feel quite content with the majority of my life at present. I don't really want to allow anything else into it, and although there are parts of it I would change, I am reasonably content with the way it is. If anything though, that makes me think why would I want to change it? Most of it is OK, so what is it that makes me think sometimes there should be more than this? I know a couple of other people with much the same feeling, people I work with, they have money, jobs, partners/families, yet they still want something more.

Most of the thinking behind this thread wasn't even me looking for something more, something else, it really was a train of thought around WHY do people constantly strive for more, why do they want more than they have.
Work is an excellent example, I have a job I love, I wouldn't change it for the world, yet people around me keep suggesting I go for other positions,they can't understand that I am content where I am, I don't want to move to anything else, I am happy. Its almost as if its a concept people don't understand, they can't comprehend that I don't want more, I AM where I want to be.
stop having disastrous nights with too much wine.
I stopped, Last night it was a good night with too many cocktails, and tonight was - well - lets just say it had every extreme possible, and only an average amount of cider.

Excellent thought-provoking answer TP, and I'll bet I'm not the only one who thinks that
Old Dec 20th 2009, 6:22 am

Maybe people do have the right to think they should be happy, I don't know, I tend to think of that state of mind as something which needs to be earned, not something we should get automatically.
And yet, if you think of a child a few months old ... it smiles and laughs. People point out how happy it is. There are very few naturally unhappy children... until of course family conditioning or treatment gets in the way....
Do you think that child needs to earn that happiness?

Surely a child 'just is' happy?

We don't look at the child and say 'How dare it be happy! It has not yet earned the right to be happy! It must be stopped!' .... do we?

We accept the childlike state. It's natural to be happy.

Its a bit like seeing happiness as good karma, do we have the right to that happiness when we have done nothing to earn it?
Why do you see yourself as having done nothing to earn it?
Is not being in existence enough for you? Being part of a wider part of society? Interacting with that society and therefore bringing something to others?
Do you not feel that just by being human you have every right to feel happiness because simply, as shown by children, happiness is a natural state that you too can share in. It's not exclusive to a child. It is therefore, still within you to be happy. It's in there, you just don't know where because your script is running your life.

Agreed, it is a state of mind - for an undetermined period of time - but there are people who feel they should be happy, whatever, that they have a right to be happy, and if there are people or things in the world preventing that happiness from happening then those things should just be removed.
Yes there are those people who fall into the latter category. I am one of them. I could go into detail but I won't, but suffice it to say, as an example, I choose (and that is an important word here) to only have people in my life who are 100% behind me. Not a little here, not 85%, a little there, not 'mostly', but 100%. Is that cruel of me to therefore cut people out of my life who choose (that word again) not to be 100% for me?
Of course not! Why would you expect only half a friend? Or two thirds of a friend? Or three quarters of a friend?
I make decisions for myself to keep myself in a healthy place. I guess this comes from knowing who I am and knowing what I can put up with. I put in place healthy boundaries for ME. Is that selfish?
I think it is probably more selfish to let people walk all over your feelings and then get in a massive huff about it all. Then they're hurt and you're angry... and none of you have a clue what the hell just happened.

Who are these people who 'expect' this? I don't know any but you may. OR, this is your interpretation on how they're living and what they're doing. Have you asked them about it or are you just assuming that's how they feel?

I have met the odd tosser who believes the world owes them a living... 'Poor damaged me, damaged by my circumstances and therefore you must all pay'... Whoa! What script are they reading from?

As a generally happy person, I can tell you that i have suffered from deep unhappiness... so I am not walking around in a little bubble all day like I'm on drugs. You know I've been very ill with thyroid problems, gained and lost 100lb or so, had a very unhappy marriage, and a subsequent divorce.
I'm not immune to being unhappy.
However, I do believe that we have control over our own lives. We're not victims of life. We always always have a choice in the way we behave.

My gaining of control was to seek and then seek some more a really good doctor who would accurately treat my thyroid problem.
Then I started to exercise more. I lost weight because my body was healing. I inched back to being the happy person I was.
I would say at this point, it was obvious as I gained more control over my physical condition, and my own internal joy at finding myself still in there, that my marriage started to decline rapidly. Did I have a lack of balance about my state then? Yes absolutely. Did my husband feel threatened by me looking pretty and slim? Absolutely he did. Did he rejoice in my accomplishment? No, he went the other way and tried to control everything. Do I have controlling people in my life any more? No. Do I sit and take abuse from people any more? No.
I choose not to have these things in my life. I am healthier for it.

Yes, I am very caught up with it, I guess it is down to my upbringing, in an environment where pleasing people outside of the family was always more important than pleasing ourselves. being "unhappy" was almost expected, sacrificing what oneself wanted in order to provide happiness or fulfilment for someone outside of the family circle. To actually aim to please oneslef was almost an alien concept - and childhood conditioning like that is hard to shake off.
Ker-ching! You have identified your family script!
This is good news.
Being able to identify your family game, is the first step to enlightenment!
That should make you happy.
Oh yeah, I can totally agree with you how hard childhood conditioning is to shake off. I come from a family where they believe there is a family gypsy curse which affects everyone. (good excuse no, for when you stuff up... 'Oh it must be the curse which made me poor, not the fact that I'm crap with money')
We were also bought up in a vicarage, being told to eat, eat, eat... whilst being surrounded by Christian Aid posters of starving children... Whoa... bit of guilt in there?
There's lots more... lots of baggage from illegitimacy on one side, through to possible personality disorder on another, with a bit of emotional abuse thrown in...So I hear you.
BUT it is possible to do. You do not have to accept their script as your own. You do not have to play the little family game. You can opt out. It is a choice.

No, I don't think I have the power to make someone else happy, I don't think anyone has that power, but I do feel that we can help someone else to achieve a happy state of mind, and sometimes I'm sure most of us do go beyond the call of duty to try and help someone else feel good - often with disastrous results.
I doubt this last statement I've bolded. This is your experience... not that of everyone.
Of course we go beyond the call of duty sometimes but not all the time. I can honestly say I do not go around all the time wondering how to make people happy. It actually rarely occurs to me. Is that because the people around me are generally happy? Perhaps? Or perhaps by being happy myself, then my children are happy and my partner is happy.
I think of my friends and they are happy I guess. But if my friends are in need or want to talk, or sound off, or whatever, I'd bend over backwards for them. Perhaps I attract happy people because I am happy myself? (Law of attraction book I mentioned)
Certainly the times I have put effort into creating pleasure for someone (pleasure as opposed to happiness) has not backfired in any way, ever, that I can think of.

It is quite possible that your expectation of the outcome is totally skewed. You are creating pleasure for people... you imagine you are making them happy... removing their unhappiness, in other words. You cannot remove someone's intrinsic unhappiness with your actions. That's down to them.

Comes down to how well we know someone else I guess, and only when you really know someone else's psyche inside-out can you truly know what will make them happy.
Not really. For example, I know my mother extremely well, but I haven't got a clue what will make her happy. After years of trying to make her happy, nothing ever worked. Not a present, not cleaning the kitchen until it shone (got a slap in the face for that one actually - must have been about 12 or so), not sending flowers, not anything really. But then she's not happy in herself. So I can't make her happy. Only she can do that.
You could guess... you know certain things that might really please people...but is that happiness?

I personally believe happiness is intrinsic. It's within us.
Being unhappy is our body/mind's way of saying 'Hey you... what's going on... sort it out'.
I believe that we all have instinct and some of us push it down and down... but if we take time to listen to ourselves, we hear ourselves crying out for help.
Your cry for help is to start this thread and it's a good way to go, to gather opinion and encourage discussion. You're wanting to find an answer. It's the start of a process for you. It's good.

I just feel its largely imaginary because so many people strive for it - yet never achieve it, because for many of us once we reach what we think is a state of happiness, we are already striving for something else, further on..
I think that unless you've polled an entire sample of the worlds population you really don't have a clue whether 'so many people strive' for happiness or not. And you certainly don't know whether they never achieve it. You don't know all these people until the end of their lives do you? So you truly don't know if they've been happy or not.
The only people you would know and that you'd seen to the end of their lives would be close friends and family members once again...
This is your family script talking again... It's not the truth. It's generations of stories, built up on top of each other, telling you how to live your life and how you must behave.

I actually feel quite content with the majority of my life at present.
Do you really? Is not being happy so consuming you that you started a thought provoking discussion on a huge internet discussion board? I would read that differently than being 'quite content'.
That's your script again. You've got your lot in life and you must be therefore, 'quite content' with it all... but deep down there's a nagging feeling that you're really not happy, you don't know why and you want to change it.

I don't really want to allow anything else into it,
I detect a note of fear. Who said anything about allowing anything into it?

and although there are parts of it I would change, I am reasonably content with the way it is.
There it is again ... reasonably content, quite content.

This means that you are not content. You either are or you are not content. It's not something you can use half measures with.

If anything though, that makes me think why would I want to change it?
Here's your family script talking again. You're talking yourself out of action. Why would you want to change it? You're obviously unhappy. You don't know truly why, but you've identified a place to start, but yeah, let's not rock the boat. Let's not change anything... After all you don't live in Ethiopia... you must be grateful for what you've got... don't change things... just keep on doing what you're doing...

The thing is Polly, you're looking at this as some monumental life changing scenario and truly, all it is, at the end of the day, is really only changing the way you're thinking, Polly. In turn, that may well affect your life and the choices you make for yourself, but it's ok to want that. It's ok to want to be happy. And it's ok to change your mind. It's ok to think differently to your family. It's not wrong or bad.

Most of it is OK, so what is it that makes me think sometimes there should be more than this?
Most of it is ok? Well if you were about to sell me your life and I was a potential buyer... can I just say that I wouldn't be parting with my cash.

I know a couple of other people with much the same feeling, people I work with, they have money, jobs, partners/families, yet they still want something more.
Maybe because they're not happy in themselves. You can have all the money and security in the world and still make poor decisions for yourself, Pol. Money does not equate happiness as we all know. Perhaps they'll get religion... perhaps they're using their happy family front to hide a bad marriage... Who knows?

Most of the thinking behind this thread wasn't even me looking for something more, something else, it really was a train of thought around WHY do people constantly strive for more, why do they want more than they have.
Really? I doubt that. I think it is what it is. You're starting a thought process which involves you...

Work is an excellent example, I have a job I love, I wouldn't change it for the world, yet people around me keep suggesting I go for other positions,they can't understand that I am content where I am, I don't want to move to anything else, I am happy. Its almost as if its a concept people don't understand, they can't comprehend that I don't want more, I AM where I want to be.
Perhaps because they can see your potential, whereas your family have always settled for what they've got. They're also not the ones reading from YOUR family script, hence they're quite able to see your potential and the possibilities for you.
You cannot possibly say that you wouldn't enjoy the other jobs, the other promotions because you haven't taken them on and done them. You might not fancy a job description on paper...but you don't truly know what you're capable of. Family script talking again my dear... I'm happy with my lot, why should I have more in my life? Very noble of you Poll....

Well I should ask you 'Why shouldn't you?'

Excellent thought-provoking answer TP, and I'll bet I'm not the only one who thinks that
Well you started it.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Dec 20th 2009 at 6:37 am.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:41 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

do you two wanna get a room
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by soapy©
do you two wanna get a room
Let me share a karma message I got:

'great to see a thread thats not been dragged down to the usual "Mrs slocombe" level'

Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:04 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me share a karma message I got:

'great to see a thread thats not been dragged down to the usual "Mrs slocombe" level'

Are you on the left or the right?
Attached Thumbnails Happiness-slocombe.jpg  
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Are you on the left or the right?
I think you'll find it's Soapy in the pic.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:29 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find it's Soapy in the pic.
IM ON THE RIGHT
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:43 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soapy©
IM ON THE RIGHT
Nice hair.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:45 pm
Home and Happy

Why do you see yourself as having done nothing to earn it?
Is not being in existence enough for you? Being part of a wider part of society? Interacting with that society and therefore bringing something to others?
Do you not feel that just by being human you have every right to feel happiness because simply, as shown by children, happiness is a natural state that you too can share in. It's not exclusive to a child. It is therefore, still within you to be happy. It's in there, you just don't know where because your script is running your life.
No, I don't feel that I have the right just because I'm human. I feel that I need to earn good fortune/happiness/whatever you call it - like karma, as I said before - as if you get what you deserve from life.

I think it is probably more selfish to let people walk all over your feelings and then get in a massive huff about it all. Then they're hurt and you're angry... and none of you have a clue what the hell just happened.
Talking about it can work wonders though, so you find out what happened, and why, and then the friendship moves on - maybe with a deeper undertanding on both sides.

I have met the odd tosser who believes the world owes them a living... 'Poor damaged me, damaged by my circumstances and therefore you must all pay'... Whoa! What script are they reading from?
I've met them too. I can't subscribe to that way of thinking. If someone can get as far as realising they are damaged by their circumstances then surely they are capable of reaching out for help? Although you can't force them to take the help though, and I think there are some people in the world who actually don't want rescuing from that damaged state.

However, I do believe that we have control over our own lives. We're not victims of life. We always always have a choice in the way we behave.
Definitely, there's always a choice, even if its a path you don't want to take at the time.
Ker-ching! You have identified your family script!
This is good news.
Being able to identify your family game, is the first step to enlightenment!
That should make you happy.
Been there and done that many moons ago, I know all the family stuff underlying my own character and motivations, and although some of the conditioning is hard to shake off I am now at peace with the majority of it, and can recognise it for what it is.
No, I don't think I have the power to make someone else happy, I don't think anyone has that power, but I do feel that we can help someone else to achieve a happy state of mind, and sometimes I'm sure most of us do go beyond the call of duty to try and help someone else feel good - often with disastrous results.
I doubt this last statement I've bolded. This is your experience... not that of everyone.
Of course we go beyond the call of duty sometimes but not all the time. I can honestly say I do not go around all the time wondering how to make people happy. It actually rarely occurs to me. Is that because the people around me are generally happy?
I wouldn't suggest its something that happens all the time - of course I don't spend my whole life wondering how to make people happy, but its like doing a good turn that backfires. Most people will recognise that from some point in their lives I'm sure, doing something or saying something, behaving in a certain way which you think is the right thing and ending up causing pain instead of pleasure to the other person.
Certainly the times I have put effort into creating pleasure for someone (pleasure as opposed to happiness) has not backfired in any way, ever, that I can think of.
Maybe its not an experience you've had?

Your cry for help is to start this thread and it's a good way to go, to gather opinion and encourage discussion. You're wanting to find an answer.
Kind-of, but not really. Just wanting the opinions and discussion really, in a late-night reflective frame of mind. Not really crying for help as such, did that long ago and received the help too, so this was more of a process of tinkig out loud - instead of talking to myself to think things out I thought I'd put the thoughts on here instead

I actually feel quite content with the majority of my life at present.
Do you really? Is not being happy so consuming you that you started a thought provoking discussion on a huge internet discussion board? I would read that differently than being 'quite content'.
That's your script again. You've got your lot in life and you must be therefore, 'quite content' with it all... but deep down there's a nagging feeling that you're really not happy, you don't know why and you want to change it.
Actually I do really feel quite content at present. The reason for starting the discussion was just cos I was mulling over something that happened that night and just got to wondering about other people's thoughts on the subject. Reckoned it would be interesting to hear what other people thought about that elusive state of "happiness".......

and although there are parts of it I would change, I am reasonably content with the way it is.
There it is again ... reasonably content, quite content.

This means that you are not content. You either are or you are not content. It's not something you can use half measures with.
No, I don't agree with that, I think it is quite possible to be reasonably content, and that is the way I feel. Not 100% content with my life, but certainly OK at the moment

Most of it is OK, so what is it that makes me think sometimes there should be more than this?
Most of it is ok? Well if you were about to sell me your life and I was a potential buyer... can I just say that I wouldn't be parting with my cash.
No, I wouldn't be buying it either, but its certainly a lot better than some of the lives I could've had.

I know a couple of other people with much the same feeling, people I work with, they have money, jobs, partners/families, yet they still want something more.

Maybe because they're not happy in themselves. You can have all the money and security in the world and still make poor decisions for yourself, Pol. Money does not equate happiness as we all know. Perhaps they'll get religion... perhaps they're using their happy family front to hide a bad marriage... Who knows?
Eactly, who knows, it is interesting though just to wonder at what makes them tick - what makes them happy?
Really? I doubt that. I think it is what it is. You're starting a thought process which involves you...
Honestly, that is why I started it - a train of thought as to why people - me included at times - strive for more out of life, and keep thinking there must be a better life there for them somewhere.

Work is an excellent example, I have a job I love, I wouldn't change it for the world, yet people around me keep suggesting I go for other positions

You cannot possibly say that you wouldn't enjoy the other jobs, the other promotions because you haven't taken them on and done them. You might not fancy a job description on paper...but you don't truly know what you're capable of. Family script talking again my dear... I'm happy with my lot, why should I have more in my life? Very noble of you Poll....
No, I might enjoy them, but is it worth the gamble when I already have one I thoroughly enjoy, that I really worked hard to get, and that puts a smile on my face. Not noble at all, I just like it, I enjoy it, and don't intend to walk away from it. And the people who try to persuade me to apply elsewhere have no idea of my capabilities - or of my interests, to judge by some of the jobs they have suggested Those who do know my skills well enough to offer career guidance aren't suggesting a move at all because they are well aware that I have found my professional niche.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:49 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Nice hair.
Thanks, my fave colour
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:26 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I've spent too many years trying to make everyone else happy, and nowadays I never seem to succeed at that, so now I'm thinking maybe its time for me - but what right have I got to try and make ME happy? I can't see any reason why I deserve it, yet everyone around me seems to think I should be aiming for that mythical state of mind........
My thoughts FWTW is that we are conditioned to look for happiness and that if we don't find it, somehow we are losers. People think all kinds of things will bring them happiness, materialism, service to others, status,etc Interesting the US BOR speaks about the pursuit of it, not the attainment though

I think what most of us think of as happiness is a set of romantised notions, mr/miss right, the dream home, dream career, perfect family, etc Infact i think happiness is the WRONG word for most of us and CONTENTMENT or SATISFACTION would be more apt.

Moments of actual happiness I have found to be fleeting, few, and far between, and interestingly cost little or virually nothing of economic value. One of the most memorable happy moments I recall is some years ago going to a large pond/lake to feed the ducks and have some time to reflect. There I found a little boy (about 5) and his sister(about 3-4). As they watched me feed the ducks, I gave them each a slice of bread and they then proceeded to break it up and feed the ducks too. As this happened I spotted a woman (assume mother) who just looked at me and smiled. In this moment I TRULY FELT HAPPY.

I think to answer your question, we each have an inner longing to connect to others in a meaningful way and to just appreciate life and to find our real (inner) path in life. I think that is really what all this happiness malarky is about.
May we all find that state of being
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:51 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

And yet, if you think of a child a few months old ... it smiles and laughs. People point out how happy it is. There are very few naturally unhappy children... until of course family conditioning or treatment gets in the way....
Do you think that child needs to earn that happiness?

Surely a child 'just is' happy?

We don't look at the child and say 'How dare it be happy! It has not yet earned the right to be happy! It must be stopped!' .... do we?

We accept the childlike state. It's natural to be happy.

But the happy child that you describe above, is only happy because it has food, shelter and companionship. These are the keys to being happy, for adults and children alike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.