Wikiposts

Happiness

Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:22 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happiness

Originally Posted by kporte
I'm striving to make myself happy and failing miserably. I was happy up until recent various events and didn't really do anything different......
Life will present us with obstacles/challenges that affect how we feel, think about and perceive things etc. And it can come straight out of the blue, no prior warning! I think that how we choose to respond depends on the weight we give to the circumstance and our skills, resources, opportunities at the time. Inaction is easier than action but sometimes we don't gain anything by reacting. Infact we may at times gain more by simply 'letting go'
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:27 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petensue
If you can see one of your children making bad choices it is very hard to be happy.I can pretend to be happy but I guess that is not the same thing.Sue.
No it's not the same thing Sue.

I think you should go with how you feel when you feel it. There's putting a bright face on for something... but you know, if people don't know how you're feeling, how can they support you through it?
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by kiwi_child

But, perhaps there is an element of truth in it, in that we all too readily get caught up in a multitude of desires that only serve to imprison rather than free us.
That's a very interesting through KC. I like that.... perhaps like the earlier post about people coming to Aus, for the big house and the pool and tv or whatever and then leaving months later....

In fact we may at times gain more by simply 'letting go'
That is so very true.

Good post.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:30 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

If you can see one of your children making bad choices it is very hard to be happy.I can pretend to be happy but I guess that is not the same thing.Sue.
Difficult if we are talking about adult children, but even then, as a parent you have the right to bring up your concerns while still respecting they own their lives. We can't make decisions for our adult kids, can't really guide them anymore, but we can let them know why we have a particular concern and let them know we love them and will be there for them (within reasonable limits). As adults they have to learn to take responsibility for their own lives, actions and consequences of those actions.

If you focus too much on the bad choices you feel they make, you could well end up missing internalising the good times with them, that would add to your happiness and theirs.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by kporte
I'm striving to make myself happy and failing miserably. I was happy up until recent various events and didn't really do anything different......
Because striving for it doesn't work K. It's something you need to find in there again. It's still there, just waiting to be discovered again. It's not gone permanently.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
No it's not the same thing Sue.

I think you should go with how you feel when you feel it. There's putting a bright face on for something... but you know, if people don't know how you're feeling, how can they support you through it?
That is very true.Sue.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult if we are talking about adult children, but even then, as a parent you have the right to bring up your concerns while still respecting they own their lives. We can't make decisions for our adult kids, can't really guide them anymore, but we can let them know why we have a particular concern and let them know we love them and will be there for them (within reasonable limits). As adults they have to learn to take responsibility for their own lives, actions and consequences of those actions.

If you focus too much on the bad choices you feel they make, you could well end up missing internalising the good times with them, that would add to your happiness and theirs.
I agree about what you say about adult children.

My daughter was 15 when she left home and has just turned 16.She has been gone for 6 weeks.Anyway there is good news as she is meant to meet us tomorrow,I only hope she turns up this time.Sue.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:27 pm

My daughter was 15 when she left home and has just turned 16.She has been gone for 6 weeks.Anyway there is good news as she is meant to meet us tomorrow,I only hope she turns up this time.Sue.
Good luck with it Sue. It's a hard time of year and 16 is very young.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Good luck with it Sue. It's a hard time of year and 16 is very young.
Thank youSue.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I aspire to contentment not happiness or perfection. An acceptance of life with all its ups and downs, good bits and bad bits, warts and all.

I think being true and authentic to yourself is a key part of this.

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:33 pm
Jedi Princess

The teenage years can be hard on both the kids and the parents. And thesedays parents seem to have very little rights, while the kids are savvy with the legal speak.

I've been watching that 'family brat camp' on ABC and they had one obnoxious girl who lied to parents, camp counsellors etc on camera, that she had been assaulted and that this had traumatised her and led to her bad behaviour and now she felt if she had to stay longer at the camp it was like being punished for being a victim. Parents bought it..hugs all around and promises of better things. They got back to UK and she admitted it was a load of bollocks designed to get her back home and with her friends. I fair felt like kicking her right up the arse!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

The teenage years can be hard on both the kids and the parents. And thesedays parents seem to have very little rights, while the kids are savvy with the legal speak.

I've been watching that 'family brat camp' on ABC and they had one obnoxious girl who lied to parents, camp counsellors etc on camera, that she had been assaulted and that this had traumatised her and led to her bad behaviour and now she felt if she had to stay longer at the camp it was like being punished for being a victim. Parents bought it..hugs all around and promises of better things. They got back to UK and she admitted it was a load of bollocks designed to get her back home and with her friends. I fair felt like kicking her right up the arse!
It's a good series isn't it?
Has made me apprciate that my two really are not too bad at all! Sometimes you need some perspective when you feel like you are in the midst of a constant battle.

Hope the meeting went well today Sue!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Be happy in the now time because realistically,thats all we ever have!Why wait for the future?Why dwell on the past!Look for the positives and keep focussed on them!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallyclaire

Hope the meeting went well today Sue!
Thank you it did go well and she is back homeI know it's early days but she does seem sorry for what happened and really pleased to be back home.

I would have sent you karma Sallyclaire but not allowed to!

I am happy now.Sue.

Last edited by petensue; Dec 23rd 2009 at 1:47 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you it did go well and she is back homeI know it's early days but she does seem sorry for what happened and really pleased to be back home.

I am happy now.Sue.
That is fab Sue & I will keep my fingerscrossed for you.
Very best wishes to all of you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.