Good book

Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:57 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good book

I'm a third of the way through re-reading Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus series and enjoying the re-read as much as I did the first time I read them!

Just having a break now though as Jasper Fforde's "The Woman Who Died A Lot", the 7th in the Thursday Next series has just arrived and I don't have the patience to wait to read it.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:59 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm half way through The Gunslinger/Dark Tower. I've always put this series on the backburner but decided it's time to delve. Loving it so far.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:03 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I'm half way through The Gunslinger/Dark Tower. I've always put this series on the backburner but decided it's time to delve. Loving it so far.
I know a lot of people don't like the Dark Tower series but I loved them! My copies are back in the UK but one day I'll be reunited and reread them There are a few bits where it gets like wading through porridge later in the series and where you think Stephen King needs a good slap for being self-indulgent but that didn't detract from my enjoyment.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:10 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
I know a lot of people don't like the Dark Tower series but I loved them! My copies are back in the UK but one day I'll be reunited and reread them There are a few bits where it gets like wading through porridge later in the series and where you think Stephen King needs a good slap for being self-indulgent but that didn't detract from my enjoyment.
Yes well the name 'Gunslinger' always put me off, so I avoided them for years, and like you say, they have been somewhat notorious. A bit slow to start but once I got into it, all has been good. I will keep going with them, already bought the 2nd one.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:17 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Yes well the name 'Gunslinger' always put me off, so I avoided them for years, and like you say, they have been somewhat notorious. A bit slow to start but once I got into it, all has been good. I will keep going with them, already bought the 2nd one.
I was so sad and yet relieved when they finally ended

It is a series that I can read over and over again though.

A couple of weeks ago I read the latest Janet Evanovich - Notorious Nineteen - sooooooooooooooo disappointed with it. I've really enjoyed them so far but it was almost as if she had a template to write to - cars blow up - check, lives are threatened - check, Grandma is inappropriate - check, Lula is inappropriate - check, a moment (or two) of sexual tension with Ranger - check, argue and make up with Joe - check.

The actual story was really weak too.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:27 am
Feeble Minded

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I was so sad and yet relieved when they finally ended

It is a series that I can read over and over again though.

A couple of weeks ago I read the latest Janet Evanovich - Notorious Nineteen - sooooooooooooooo disappointed with it. I've really enjoyed them so far but it was almost as if she had a template to write to - cars blow up - check, lives are threatened - check, Grandma is inappropriate - check, Lula is inappropriate - check, a moment (or two) of sexual tension with Ranger - check, argue and make up with Joe - check.

The actual story was really weak too.
Oh poop re Janet Evanovich ... I've only read 9 so far and am still enjoying them, but I know what you mean about the template as already your description fits each of the books I've read. Hopefully it's just a blip on the 19th but maybe the series has run it's course.

I've got some Robin Hobb's lined up and a Naomi Novik (3rd in the Temeraire series) and a Jonathan L Howard, Johannes Cabal book to read. I had a moment of financial lunacy a few weeks ago on The Book Depository when I was suffering from sleep deprivation and ordered a pile of books I'm trying to regret it but I don't because I have some shiney new books to read!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:53 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

just re reading insomnia by King it's so different from his earlier works but I still love it the only books of his I couldnt really appreciate were the dark tower series
Old Feb 15th 2013, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by asher
just re reading insomnia by King it's so different from his earlier works but I still love it the only books of his I couldnt really appreciate were the dark tower series
Loved insomnia - dun bun can't be undone
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

39% of my way through "Speak Swahili Dammit"..... I've sat on the train and laughed out loud at times and have had tears streaming down my face through sadness...
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007
39% of my way through "Speak Swahili Dammit"..... I've sat on the train and laughed out loud at times and have had tears streaming down my face through sadness...
On The Dark Tower II, it has started off far better than the first one.