Good book

Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:50 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good book

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Oh, I love that one... mind you, it's an unusual Stephen King book for me not to love it (although Gerald's Game left me a little cold).

The boys bought me Michael Connolly's latest - The Black Box - for Christmas - I read it in a day, it was so good

They also bought me the latest Karen Rose - Did You Miss Me? - that one is annoying me for some reason...

On the Kindle, I'm ploughing through some vamp/werewolf/necromancer rubbish and then I'm going to read the second in the Justin Cronin The Passage Trilogy - The Twelve... making myself wait.

Over Christmas, I re-read Stephen King's 11-22-63. I think I've already mentioned it on this thread but for a book I didn't think I would particularly enjoy, I really, really did.

He does a good yarn, does Mr King.

I got some Amazon.co.uk vouchers for Christmas off MIL so I shall be trawling through that to see what's going on - the new Ian Rankin, methinks.
Oh I LOVED Gerald's Game, it was brilliant.

Not read 11-22-63. Shall put it on me list!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:02 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Oh I LOVED Gerald's Game, it was brilliant.

Not read 11-22-63. Shall put it on me list!
I read Gerald's Game again just before Christmas - I think the main problem I had with it (and Dolores Claiborne, it's 'sister' book, although I did enjoy that one a lot more) was that it felt a lot more like it should have been a novella rather than a novel. It would have been much better heavily edited and in a book like Four Past Midnight (Now there's a collection of four excellent stories!)

There was another one.. dum de dum ::thinks::... oh, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - again, it felt padded out and would have been better treated as a novella.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:39 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I read Gerald's Game again just before Christmas - I think the main problem I had with it (and Dolores Claiborne, it's 'sister' book, although I did enjoy that one a lot more) was that it felt a lot more like it should have been a novella rather than a novel. It would have been much better heavily edited and in a book like Four Past Midnight (Now there's a collection of four excellent stories!)

There was another one.. dum de dum ::thinks::... oh, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - again, it felt padded out and would have been better treated as a novella.
Loved Four Past Midnight, and Skeleton Crew. Agreed on Girl who loved Tom Gordon, thought that myself.

Dolores Claiborne I also agree, although it was a fabulous read.

What about Rose Madder & Needful Things huh? Loved them.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:11 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Loved Four Past Midnight, and Skeleton Crew. Agreed on Girl who loved Tom Gordon, thought that myself.

Dolores Claiborne I also agree, although it was a fabulous read.

What about Rose Madder & Needful Things huh? Loved them.
Both Rose Madder and Needful Things are triumphs

My favourite Stephen King books are The Stand, IT and The Talisman though, as well as The Dark Tower series. But hey, really, I love 'em all, I'd quite happily take them all to a desert island and never read anything else ever again (well, so long as I could sneak some Terry Pratchett and Chris Brookmyer in there for light relief). Even Gerald's Game.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:28 pm

Both Rose Madder and Needful Things are triumphs

My favourite Stephen King books are The Stand, IT and The Talisman though, as well as The Dark Tower series. But hey, really, I love 'em all, I'd quite happily take them all to a desert island and never read anything else ever again (well, so long as I could sneak some Terry Pratchett and Chris Brookmyer in there for light relief). Even Gerald's Game.
Yes he is my fav author no doubt about that.

IT was too scary for me, I actually watched the film first and put me off reading the book. Hated the film, had bloody nightmares for yonks after that

I've never read The Shining either, it's been on my reading bucket list for a few years now.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:59 am
Officially Bewildered

Yes he is my fav author no doubt about that.

IT was too scary for me, I actually watched the film first and put me off reading the book. Hated the film, had bloody nightmares for yonks after that

I've never read The Shining either, it's been on my reading bucket list for a few years now.
He's releasing a sequel to The Shining this year.. might be time to move it up the list

(IT is much better...mmm and yes, scarier.. than the film)

Mind you, The Shining is freaky scary too.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:04 am

He's releasing a sequel to The Shining this year.. might be time to move it up the list

(IT is much better...mmm and yes, scarier.. than the film)

Mind you, The Shining is freaky scary too.
Ooh I shall have to move to no.1 now if there's a sequel. So exciting. I have been told The Shining book is a lot scarier than the film. Yikes.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:30 am
Officially Bewildered

Ooh I shall have to move to no.1 now if there's a sequel. So exciting. I have been told The Shining book is a lot scarier than the film. Yikes.
His books always are - he paints such a picture in your imagination that nothing on celluloid is ever going to match up. I think that's why (generally) the most successful adaptations of his work aren't the horror ones but the more psychological/story telling ones such as Misery and The Green Mile.

There's obvious exceptions of course - The Shining and Carrie being the two that spring to mind straight off... but I think The Shining only really worked as a film because Jack Nicholson is one crazy dude anyway

Anyway, back on general books - a friend of a friend has just released a book on kindle (US & UK) and in real form too, I think - it's called 12 Lessons by Kate Spencer.. I've just bought it so will report back in a couple of days.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:56 am

His books always are - he paints such a picture in your imagination that nothing on celluloid is ever going to match up. I think that's why (generally) the most successful adaptations of his work aren't the horror ones but the more psychological/story telling ones such as Misery and The Green Mile.

There's obvious exceptions of course - The Shining and Carrie being the two that spring to mind straight off... but I think The Shining only really worked as a film because Jack Nicholson is one crazy dude anyway

Anyway, back on general books - a friend of a friend has just released a book on kindle (US & UK) and in real form too, I think - it's called 12 Lessons by Kate Spencer.. I've just bought it so will report back in a couple of days.

- don't forget Shawshank
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:14 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been too scared to read a Stephen King book - I saw the film IT when I was a teenager and it scared the living daylights out of me, so have always steered clear!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:35 am
Officially Bewildered

- don't forget Shawshank
Oh, probably one of my favourite films, how could I forget that one!!??

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I've always been too scared to read a Stephen King book - I saw the film IT when I was a teenager and it scared the living daylights out of me, so have always steered clear!
Yer a gert wuss!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:41 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I've just finished reading The Secret Of Crickley Hall by James Herbert.

Great book! I thoroughly enjoyed it
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:54 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Yer a gert wuss!
Guilty as charged Guv!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Kapri
I've just finished reading The Secret Of Crickley Hall by James Herbert.

Great book! I thoroughly enjoyed it
Love James Herbert, that book is from a set, try Ghosts of Sleuth next
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:18 am

Just finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I really enjoyed it, was similar to the DaVinci Code/Angels & Demons and nowhere near as crap as the other two he done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.