Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The first mistake in the bible!

The first mistake in the bible!

Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The first mistake in the bible!

The Dalai Lama's got it sussed

My religion is very simple
my religion is kindness
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:24 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
O.K I take your point about the earth being flat (wow that Pythagoras was one clever old boy!) I guess my point was that over the years science has got it wrong sometimes and theories have been disproved and re-invented.
But maybe that's the point. Science develops hypotheses, works to prove or disprove them through experiment and observation, then accepts, rejects or adapts the theories in the face of the evidence.

Religion doesn't do that - it all relies on blind faith and varying interpretation. And because of that, it never grows or evolves with time, or the circumstances in which it find itself.

A classic example of this being the failure of the Catholic church to endorse contraception in Africa. Surely this is really only Imperialism in another guise?

S
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just to throw a little word in here - in case anyone was wondering Mr Wonkothesane didn't end up having his posts mod-ded cos they offended someone, but just cos he's a new poster
Welcome to the madhouse, and I think your posts should be sorted now
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:28 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Not dissimilar to the Spanish Inquisition then... More religious fuelled hatred and death...

S
Then there's the Catholic's endorsement of the Nazi's during WW2. Apparently Hitler went to the then pope and came to an understanding that allowed him to do what he then went on to do. By all accounts if the Catholics had sayed no to hitler then he wouldn't have done what he did.( to the Jews I mean).
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Then there's the Catholic's endorsement of the Nazi's during WW2. Apparently Hitler went to the then pope and came to an understanding that allowed him to do what he then went on to do. By all accounts if the Catholics had sayed no to hitler then he wouldn't have done what he did.( to the Jews I mean).
Unbelievable, I didnt know that
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:41 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone one day just make the story up and people believed/followed because the human spirit needs the existance of something or someone greater than itself, or is there the slightest chance that there might be an element of truth in it?

I don't believe there needs to be any element of truth to it as it's human nature to collect together in groups. It seems to be a primeval need to group together based on a common bond, for protection and survival. Eventually one group gets a bit big and starts to bully other groups, so it's only natural for the more weaker memers of the race to throw in with a strong group for protection. By weaker I mean physically weaker or mentally not able to defend themselves or family.

Take religious people, vicars, ministers and their flocks, not your usual strong man type that would be any good in a fight, yet become very strong through religious doctrine, able to survive as a group through shear numbers not individual strength. That's personally why I think religion came about and stays with us, a method of the physically weaker to survive. Things like being anti contraception is a great method to grow your numbers, so why not weave it into your religion. All just my opinion of course.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:43 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Unbelievable, I didnt know that
Yes, I had a German language tutor a few years back, who went into great lengths to give us the history of Nazi Germany and it's links to the church. Once again, which religion and church actually benefited from the hollocaust? Wasn't the Jews that's for sure.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I had a German language tutor a few years back, who went into great lengths to give us the history of Nazi Germany and it's links to the church. Once again, which religion and church actually benefited from the hollocaust? Wasn't the Jews that's for sure.
Absoloutely.
And how many people have died in wars in the name of religion over the centuries.
Off topic a bit
Today, you also have the non religious types who still need to believe in something going for whole new age thing.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

Religion doesn't do that - it all relies on blind faith and varying interpretation. And because of that, it never grows or evolves with time, or the circumstances in which it find itself.
I think religion definitely does adapt according to social pressures, it's just that it will only do what it has to do to a) survive b) stay as powerful as possible. For example, in Britain there has been acceptance of female clergy'men' and even discussion over gay vicars etc and homosexual blessings/weddings in churches, because that is what was acceptable to a lot of people in Britain. Similarly they had to cave over contraception, and are facing strong debate over abortion.
In countries where women hold less political power, the church does not need to respect their freedoms and choices - why bother, the church is mainly run by men anyway.
It's nothing new, in the middleages women became a threat to the all-powerful catholic church and so they demonised them, with witch hunts and burnings at the stake etc. (And that brilliant 'ducking stool' test, foolproof that was! There's an excellent Simpsons on witch hunts. )
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:08 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Why has the idea of Christ and a god/God been believed by so many and for so long??
Honestly? I think it's a crutch. Lots of people can't handle the idea that when you die, that's it - no shining white light, no tunnel, no reception at the pearly gates by dead family members, no eternity in some endlessly peaceful afterlife. They can't get their heads around the fact that we're simply biological entities with a fairly limited lifespan and that at some point the machine that is our bodies will stop functioning.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice

Do you think if the war would have carried on for longer or the germans had won that Hitler would not have gone back on this apparent "understanding".
Look what he did to that other nutter Stalin,split up Poland between them in the early days then once this understanding had run out he invaded Poland then Russia.
Hitler had a problem with the pope ,due to the fact that the Catholic Religion did not have international borders but had a much much bigger following than the Nazis and if he had decided to kill the pope he would have had a huge religious war on his hands which would involve all catholics from all over the world including catholics in his armed forces aswell as a fair percentage of the German population.But as the years went on in the war ,he did indeed hatch a plan to secretly kidnap the pope,it didn't even get to stage 1 as the officer he put in charge could see the implecations so basically told Hitler it was a no go as the catholics knew there was a plot.
But if the war would have gone on for longer Hitler may well have ordered it as the nutter lost the plot in the end .
So we might have ended up with a 20th centurary crusade but instead of the muslims it would have been the nazis.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ragner
So we might have ended up with a 20th centurary crusade but instead of the muslims it would have been the nazis.

have you read Fatherland? It's fan-bloody-tastic, i think - set in a hypothetical future where the nazis won the war and took over the world.

(PS I don't think it's fantastic that the nazis won, btw, just that it's a fantastic book!)
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

How do you know he did? It's easy to come up with prophecies after the event. For example if I was to wait 200 years, write a prophecy that the nazi's were going to lose WW2, date my documents as say 1550, Id' look like a phrophet in a thousand years or so. Out of curiosity give us some more that came true that were written down before they happened.
The dead sea scrolls were discovered between 1947 and 1956 in eleven caves along the northwest shore of the dead sea.

They comprise of the oldest group of Old Testament manuscripts ever found, dating back to 100-200BC. Is this not evidence that the prophecies contained in todays old testament are the same Messianic prophecies that existed prior to the time of Jesus?

Micah 5:2 Jesus birth place

Isiah53:9 Burial

Psalm22- prophecy about Jesus death

Isiah 7:14 virgin birth

Big Galah- you are right- no man can predict the future. The debate is about whether God exists, the bible is "true" etc ie these prophecies are God speaking through man.

There's some awful things done in the name of science but we don't just write it off because we don't understand it.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:54 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and put that with the so called god gene and you have trouble !

I don't believe there needs to be any element of truth to it as it's human nature to collect together in groups. It seems to be a primeval need to group together based on a common bond, for protection and survival. Eventually one group gets a bit big and starts to bully other groups, so it's only natural for the more weaker memers of the race to throw in with a strong group for protection. By weaker I mean physically weaker or mentally not able to defend themselves or family.

Take religious people, vicars, ministers and their flocks, not your usual strong man type that would be any good in a fight, yet become very strong through religious doctrine, able to survive as a group through shear numbers not individual strength. That's personally why I think religion came about and stays with us, a method of the physically weaker to survive. Things like being anti contraception is a great method to grow your numbers, so why not weave it into your religion. All just my opinion of course.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:02 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

I think religion came about and stays with us, a method of the physically weaker to survive.
I'll take you on Arkon

I'm not deeply religious but I don't think I'm mentally or physically weaker than you or anyone else for considering that God exists.

Originally Posted by Hutch
Honestly? I think it's a crutch. Lots of people can't handle the idea that when you die, that's it - no shining white light, no tunnel, no reception at the pearly gates by dead family members, no eternity in some endlessly peaceful afterlife. They can't get their heads around the fact that we're simply biological entities with a fairly limited lifespan and that at some point the machine that is our bodies will stop functioning.
Again, I'd suggest that to believe in SOMETHING takes more balls than to believe in NOTHING - certainly in this day and age where you're generally considered wierd if you go to Church. So I don't think you can call it a crutch at all.

Graham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.