Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The first mistake in the bible!

The first mistake in the bible!

Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:10 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The first mistake in the bible!

Originally Posted by arkon
Well yes, if you believe and follow a group of people based on no eveidence that you have seen with your own eyes then yes, you're a lemming (not meant rudely). If you had met, spoken or seen god and then follow his teachings that's OK, but to blindly follow a faith based on what others have told you is bonkers. I suppose that's why it's called blind faith.
I don't think people who follow are 'blind' at all. Perhaps even the opposite Arkon? Perhaps it is people who tumble along in life and start discussions on public forums about what a load of crap they've found the Bible to be who are blind?

Not meant rudely.

Graham
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
I don't think people who follow are 'blind' at all. Perhaps even the opposite Arkon? Perhaps it is people who tumble along in life and start discussions on public forums about what a load of crap they've found the Bible to be who are blind?

Not meant rudely.

Graham
I'm sorry but I think your attitude sums up the problem with religions.

Almost no-one on this thread has *absolutely* rubbished religion: most of us are willing to be convinced if there is a shred of *real* evidence.

An example of the scientific way of thinking (and I've used it before): It *is* possible for a table to levitate. It is possible that all the molecules making up the atmosphere below the table could all be flying upwards at the same time. In fact, on the microscopic scale it's called Brownian Motion and is readily observable. However, the chance of it happening on the macro scale are vanishingly remote. Hence, if I say that a table levitating is impossible, it has to be qualified by saying it just *could* happen once in a trillion lifetimes of the universe. But for me, that's good enough to make the statement "true".

In the same way, the "existence" of (a) god, apart from being by definition unproveable, is I suppose "possible". However in my estimation it has a very low likelihood and has certainly never been demonstrated to my satisfaction.

Don't erect straw man arguments and use them to infer things said by others - it is classic "religion" <g>.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:35 am

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm sorry but I think your attitude sums up the problem with religions.
What's my attitude then? Please tell me.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:29 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by totlanh
No anger my friend just sadness when i hear people turning their back on the very thing that created them.Im somewhat puzzled why i appear scared perhaps i am but i dont think so because im not particuarly afraid of dyingf as because as you quite rightly asserted there IS a glittering prize at the end and tbh in renders life and a lot of its inherrant squabbles rather irrelevant at times.
Yes, but how do you know there is a god? How do you know he created everything? What causes you to believe it? I would like to suggest you only believe what you do due to what other humans have told you and indoctrinated you. How can you be sure what you have been told is the truth? Just because we live in a beutifull world doesn't mean that a God had to create it. Isn't it equally possible that nature is as nature does?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:37 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by totlanh
Ipom,thanks for the reply im unable to give any satisfactory answers regarding the suffering of Children indeed any suffering.Heck,i wished i did because these things trouble me as well but i do believe everything has a purpose......
This morning I've just finnished watching a documentary on the holocaust. There was a part in it where a senior rabi was waiting in line for the gas chamber. They did 3 batches a day, he was in the last batch. He told his people that God would not let this happen to them, by this point they knew they were going to be killed. When it came to his groups turn at the end of the day he announced to the remaining group, 'For god to allow this to happen, there can be no god' and renounced his faith.

I find it unacceptable for people to believe in God, yet brush under the carpet all the suufering and cruelty that goes on in the world. Not just the crimes done under God's name but all of them. For you or any other religious believer to have any chance of convincing the rest of us, you need to do better at comming up with a reason why god allows the needless slaughter of woman, children, the weak and lame. If an all powerfull god truely existed none of these crimes would happen, So for me a good enough reason to doubt a god's existance. I'm more likely to belive in a sun god, afterall the sun does indeed rise every day and give us warmth and food....
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch.

I don't think it's acceptable to purposefuly manipulate the 'reply with quote' function - even if it IS to try and prove your point. Badly I might add.

Post reported.

Graham
lol! It's all a conspiracy mate ... rather than, say, a simple mistake. Actually, it's probably because I'm a godless arsehole.

I shall await the knock on the door ...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:48 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

So was my aunt, maybe they all claim to be one of the first

Originally Posted by iPom
My Aunt is also a woman priest... one of the first... Anglican though. Wonder if they know each other?

Funny those that were close to religion have much more probs with it than others who find it in later life, I think.

Def going to bed now.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:52 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
So was my aunt, maybe they all claim to be one of the first
Really? That's cool. Yes, I think there was a group of them all together. I don't know if my aunt's still in touch with any though. She's left and gone into the hospital chaplaincy thing....
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:02 pm
Banned

Uncle Fester has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Fester has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Fester has a spectacular aura about

I love the smell of religious argument in the morning
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:02 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Really? That's cool. Yes, I think there was a group of them all together. I don't know if my aunt's still in touch with any though. She's left and gone into the hospital chaplaincy thing....
Yea, similar with my aunt. Not entirely sure what she's up to, but both he and she left the vicarage to pursue other things. She used to do quite a few Thought for the Days too ... and was on Question Time once as well.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea, similar with my aunt. Not entirely sure what she's up to, but both he and she left the vicarage to pursue other things. She used to do quite a few Thought for the Days too ... and was on Question Time once as well.
It must be an 'aunt' thing...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch
lol! It's all a conspiracy mate ... rather than, say, a simple mistake. Actually, it's probably because I'm a godless arsehole.

I shall await the knock on the door ...
I do hope the ensuing slap on the wrist sets you on the straight and narrow again Hutch

Graham
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:21 pm
Banned

Uncle Fester has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Fester has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Fester has a spectacular aura about

I do hope the ensuing slap on the wrist sets you on the straight and narrow again Hutch

Graham
I like your Avatar - isn't that what 'christians' used to do to 'wiches' (or anyone else who didn't agree with them)?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:35 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we are all related and don't know it

It must be an 'aunt' thing...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arkon

I find it unacceptable for people to believe in God, yet brush under the carpet all the suufering and cruelty that goes on in the world. Not just the crimes done under God's name but all of them. For you or any other religious believer to have any chance of convincing the rest of us, you need to do better at comming up with a reason why god allows the needless slaughter of woman, children, the weak and lame. If an all powerfull god truely existed none of these crimes would happen, So for me a good enough reason to doubt a god's existance. I'm more likely to belive in a sun god, afterall the sun does indeed rise every day and give us warmth and food....

Yes I agree its God that causes all the suffering and pain and poverty. Not humans and their greed and selfishness. Bloody hell I wish there was a God who denied us freewill and just bossed us about; and we had no choice but were forced to worship him....then you might believe. That is what you want.

Oh and isn't science wonderful and exact...except when Copernicus realises that the earth rotates around the sun...then we change what science says is fact. But that will never happen again. Just as the bible is factual and does not use images and allegories. Oh no.

By the way if the earth was created in 7 days and the sun and earth were not completed before it started...then who says a day was 24 hours (the bible doesn't). Could be a couple of million years. Hmm then evolution works.

faith is not blind. But our belief in history is.

We all believe in Aristotle.... all though there are more documents and accounts of Jesus than big Arty and more recent...but hey it suits to dismiss anything that challenges our selfish lifestyle. Choose to believe what you want but don't insult others choices whether you believe in it or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.