Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The first mistake in the bible!

The first mistake in the bible!

Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:05 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The first mistake in the bible!

Originally Posted by arkon
Whilst bored the other night I read Genesis in the bible, just to give me some ammo the next time the jehovah's come knocking. Well I noticed a funametal mistake that proves it's all a load of codswallop. I'll type it out and see if you can spot it......

short hand for the first bit:-

God created the earth the fish light etc and had a rest on Sunday

He made Eden and Adam and eve, the ONLY 2 humans on the earth

After a bit of rumpy Eve gave birth in agony because she eat the apple to
Cain and Able, 2 brothers (both boys) No other children.....

THEN Genesis Chapter 7...

"Cain and his wife had a son and named him Enoch"

ALSO Genesis Chapter 4 Verse 15....

(God speaking to the cast out Cain)

"But the Lord Answered, No, If anyone kills you seven lives will be taken in revenge"

The book is just full of rubbish, Where did all the other people come from, where did the wife of Cain come from. As for killing 7 in revenge, didn't he go on to say "Thou shalt not kill". Lead by example I say.....

Here endeth the reading, Life in Oz is so interesting I'm reading the bible for entertainment!
Didn't the mystery woman hail from Nod? Not sure how this woman came about. Either this, or Eve had daughters and, well, we needn't go further. Remember though that it is only relatively recently that Bible stories were taken literally. They were ways of making sense of things at the time and in a particular culture. I don't think Jews are nearly as literalist about the Old Testament as some Christians.

Most if not all religions started as what we now know as cults. Cults operate and develop based on well-known and predicable social-psychological lines. In a cult even the barmiest ideas get strong acceptance among some (cf Scientology and its Xenu space opera), and with enough torture, book burning, imprisonment, execution, genocide, thought-reform/brainwashing, then financing, schools, jobs, social help, more books, etc, they become mainstream.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:24 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The first mistake in the bible!

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Didn't the mystery woman hail from Nod? Not sure how this woman came about. Either this, or Eve had daughters and, well, we needn't go further. Remember though that it is only relatively recently that Bible stories were taken literally. They were ways of making sense of things at the time and in a particular culture. I don't think Jews are nearly as literalist about the Old Testament as some Christians.

Most if not all religions started as what we now know as cults. Cults operate and develop based on well-known and predicable social-psychological lines. In a cult even the barmiest ideas get strong acceptance among some (cf Scientology and its Xenu space opera), and with enough torture, book burning, imprisonment, execution, genocide, thought-reform/brainwashing, then financing, schools, jobs, social help, more books, etc, they become mainstream.
I hear you, but the reason for reading it was a few good friends that suddenly turned christian. Trying to un turn them was futile because whatever argument you came up with their stock defence was because it says so in the bible'. If all of these peoples faith springs from the bible and the bible constantly quoted as proof, then surely it follows that the bible should not be so full of holes. When you point out to a religious nutter a flaw in the said book, you get the 'Ah but it's not meant literally'. I will remember that one the next time I'm done for speeding....

I also hear the argument for why people used to believe in it before the era of enlightenment but nowdays there is no excuse.