Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The first mistake in the bible!

The first mistake in the bible!

Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:40 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The first mistake in the bible!

Originally Posted by esperanza
Haven't you been doing your homework!?

The chinese whispers effect would happen through translation between different languages though- even the interpretation of one language is ambiguous enough. As for the family stories, my elderly relatives could never agree on what happened when they were younger, let alone several generations back! But maybe that's just my family...

I did find this quite interesting, from a sure about a evolution v creation courtcase in 1925 USA, it summarises some of of the various creation stories & interpretations:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/proj...pes/gen1st.htm

(And yes I have given it a lot of thought today, but I had very little else to do and I think it's quite interesting! Besides, my brain needs a workout every now and then and it certainly won't get one at work this week...)
Thanks, that's a good article and well worth the read.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:51 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
Haven't you been doing your homework!?

The chinese whispers effect would happen through translation between different languages though- even the interpretation of one language is ambiguous enough. As for the family stories, my elderly relatives could never agree on what happened when they were younger, let alone several generations back! But maybe that's just my family...
Perhaps, but the point is that when the Dead Sea scrolls were found, for example, the scripts which had been copied from them (which had already been translated) were fairly identical ... esp in doctrine, which is what's being discussed here.

You might often see italics in certain versions of the bible too... those aren't put there for emphasis... That's where English words have been added in to make more sense of the scripture. So make of that what you will!
I am not saying there are no problems with translation ... I'm just saying it's not as messy or as random as people believe.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:41 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Perhaps, but the point is that when the Dead Sea scrolls were found, for example, the scripts which had been copied from them (which had already been translated) were fairly identical ... esp in doctrine, which is what's being discussed here.

You might often see italics in certain versions of the bible too... those aren't put there for emphasis... That's where English words have been added in to make more sense of the scripture. So make of that what you will!
I am not saying there are no problems with translation ... I'm just saying it's not as messy or as random as people believe.
The other day I ducked out of a kids birthday party at McDonalds (I know, classy) - and was sitting in the car listening to the radio. Got piss bored of Triple J and the poptastic delights of Power FM and tuned to the ABC local radio. There was a guy on there who studied the greek language with a reading group and, by way of a source text, he used to work from the original Greek translation of the bible. He was saying that even the most basic parts of christianity, such as the Trinity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost (or Holy Goat as my local priest used to confusingly say in his strong Irish accent) can be reinterpreted in fundamental ways. The Holy Ghost, according to the way he reads it, was never intended to be like some ghostly form that went about doing God's work ... instead it was more of an essence, a feeling, a spirit of humanity etc. There were loads more examples, but it just reinforced how utterly hilarious it is that anyone can quote from the bible as if it's supposed to prove something. Chinese whispers the lot of it ...
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Well if I could find my old books I had as a kid, "Plop the owl that was afraid of the dark" or "Stig of the dump", I'd rather read them, much more realistic and just as likely to be true.
You mean Stig may not be real
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:44 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
The Holy Ghost, according to the way he reads it, was never intended to be like some ghostly form that went about doing God's work ... instead it was more of an essence, a feeling, a spirit of humanity etc.
I'm getting bored of this thread, but this is precisely what I think of as the Holy Ghost. I don't think it's something that would feature on 'Britains most haunted' or whatever.

Graham
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
His picture is in the British Museum!

I call for a new dating system - BS and AS (before and after Stig)
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:45 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Is it not possible to accept that not everything can be substantiated and proven by science and that sometimes even scientists can be mistaken. It wasn't that long ago that scientists thought the earth was flat, well they got that wrong!!

I'm not saying the bible is an accurate, verbatim account of what happened thousands of years ago but are we so immodest and do we have such a high opinion of our own intellect that we cannot comprehend that maybe, just maybe, there is the smallest possibility that something or someone may exist that is beyond our level of understanding.

Just because we cannot explain the existance of God and the life and work of Jesus away in scientific fact, does that mean that there is the not the remotest possibility that they did/do exist??
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pommybird
It wasn't that long ago that scientists thought the earth was flat, well they got that wrong!!

When was that then? even the Ancient Greeks knew the world was round.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:10 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
When was that then? even the Ancient Greeks knew the world was round.
Are you lost?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by walla
Are you lost?
Oh now I know what you mean!!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
The other day I ducked out of a kids birthday party at McDonalds (I know, classy) - and was sitting in the car listening to the radio. Got piss bored of Triple J and the poptastic delights of Power FM and tuned to the ABC local radio. There was a guy on there who studied the greek language with a reading group and, by way of a source text, he used to work from the original Greek translation of the bible. He was saying that even the most basic parts of christianity, such as the Trinity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost (or Holy Goat as my local priest used to confusingly say in his strong Irish accent) can be reinterpreted in fundamental ways. The Holy Ghost, according to the way he reads it, was never intended to be like some ghostly form that went about doing God's work ... instead it was more of an essence, a feeling, a spirit of humanity etc. There were loads more examples, but it just reinforced how utterly hilarious it is that anyone can quote from the bible as if it's supposed to prove something. Chinese whispers the lot of it ...
That's quite a common belief in Christianity because for years, people have found it too difficult to get their heads around the idea that little flames appeared over heads and people spoke in tongues. By 'dumbing' down the bible in that way, it has more of a mass appeal.
Fundamental christians, however, who believe they speak 'in tongues' (been there and seen lots of it) have no problem with the whole Trinity thing as they claim to experience it directly.

I don't think people do quote from a bible to prove anything. At least they haven't in the churches I've spent my life in. The book's there to pull examples from to continue the teaching of Jesus, simply.
There is no 'proof' in the bible, and people know that, which is why all religions (even those with nice fat books) are based on Faith.... which imo, is as transient as the Holy Ghost.

Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:52 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Nope not the remotest!

Originally Posted by pommybird
Just because we cannot explain the existance of God and the life and work of Jesus away in scientific fact, does that mean that there is the not the remotest possibility that they did/do exist??
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:39 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well if gods real then Stig must be too, I read it in a book and it says he lives in a big pit, and used glass bottles as windows to his den. I can't quote exact chapters because Stig doesn't have all those helpfull numbers scrawled on every line like the bible does.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:41 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by northerner
I'm getting bored of this thread, but this is precisely what I think of as the Holy Ghost. I don't think it's something that would feature on 'Britains most haunted' or whatever.

Graham
Unsubscribe from it then, you know the link at the bottom of the page. OR if it's so boring try adding something of value to it.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's possibly one of the most interesting threads I seen for a long time. I do wonder why we have had no input from the truly religious. I assume they "believe" they will be bullied for their beliefs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.