Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Brexit the aftermath, did the people of the UK vote correctly ?
Yes
40.95%
No
50.48%
Not more bloody navel gazing for gawd sakes !!!
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Old Apr 8th 2017, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Almost, I spoke (and still speak) to those you voted on refugees and got the result they wanted, i.e. Brexit, but will not get the desired result of less refugees most likely.

Only family and friends I have in farming are in Wales, who voted remain as a country so not sure what effect EU is having on farming subsidies compared to other benefits of EU membership - didn't look into it too hard as I have no intention of returning. But they will also have to abide by the democratic result, and Brexit when it is delivered.

One thing is for certain, right now no-one really knows if the Brexit result will deliver all that they hoped for / feared (depending on which side of the fence you sit).
Those who voted to leave voted against the political elite. A system they felt had long neglected their needs. Refugees was one driver, subsidies another. Change was what they wanted.

Yep. No one knows what it will deliver but change is a certainty and its what the people asked for.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
It appealed to those who longed for a Britain of old. Xenophobia is on the rise and it gave people the chance to hide behind or to normalise racism. Despite what your research from the people you have spoke (sic) to, every analysis since has said that immigration or whatever you want to call it was the number one issue.
Head in sand stuff as usual. One of my good pals voted to leave and he is married to a Pakistani. You really have no idea with such statements.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

That's okay - I gave the capital as South Africa but it might actually be Lesotho which is an independent country in South Africa. One thing to consider when reading these headlines though would be Sweden's definition of rape. Best story on this I can find is from a Canadian source - Sweden’s rape crisis isn’t what it seems - The Globe and Mail
I doubt very much Lesotho resp. the capital Maseru come under this title. I spent a no. of years there. S.Africa esp. Jo'burg and surrounds are bad. Yet there are parts which would not qualify for this title like the Freestate (Bloemfontein).
Old Apr 8th 2017, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Head in sand stuff as usual. One of my good pals voted to leave and he is married to a Pakistani. You really have no idea with such statements.
Why is the accepted analysis 'head in sand' stuff? People who fear people different to themselves or long for glory days of the past would appear to be the ostriches.

Your pal and his Pakistani wife are anecdotal evidence; we can't extrapolate that to 46,501,241 intentions. I think you are saying an Englishman with a Pakistani wife can't be racist or immigration couldn't be an important issue to him? (which is nonsense if it is what you intended)

The BBC analysis immediately after the referendum attributed the unexpected result to 8 main factors which I'll elaborate if you wish:

1 Brexit economic warnings, e.g. by Mark Carney, backfired (they didn't predict GFC therefore they are wrong).
2 The 'we can save £350 mill a week and divert it to the NHS' was believed.
3 Farage made immigration the defining issue.
4 The public stopped listening to Cameron.
5 Labour failed to connect to voters, Corbyn's lukewarm support for Remain.
6 Enter Boris Johnson and Michael Gove who appeal to the right.
7 Older voters turned out in force, younger voters didn't, older ones had a greater propensity to vote Leave.
8 Europe has always been slightly alien to Brits.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why is the accepted analysis 'head in sand' stuff? People who fear people different to themselves or long for glory days of the past would appear to be the ostriches.

Your pal and his Pakistani wife are anecdotal evidence; we can't extrapolate that to 46,501,241 intentions. I think you are saying an Englishman with a Pakistani wife can't be racist or immigration couldn't be an important issue to him? (which is nonsense if it is what you intended)

The BBC analysis immediately after the referendum attributed the unexpected result to 8 main factors which I'll elaborate if you wish:

1 Brexit economic warnings, e.g. by Mark Carney, backfired (they didn't predict GFC therefore they are wrong).
2 The 'we can save £350 mill a week and divert it to the NHS' was believed.
3 Farage made immigration the defining issue.
4 The public stopped listening to Cameron.
5 Labour failed to connect to voters, Corbyn's lukewarm support for Remain.
6 Enter Boris Johnson and Michael Gove who appeal to the right.
7 Older voters turned out in force, younger voters didn't, older ones had a greater propensity to vote Leave.
8 Europe has always been slightly alien to Brits.
Surprisingly the BBC didn't sight racism as an reason. That's very unlike such left wing drama publications.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Only family and friends I have in farming are in Wales, who voted remain as a country
Wales? No, as a country they voted for Brexit.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Surprisingly the BBC didn't sight racism as an reason. That's very unlike such left wing drama publications.
As said previously, if some people say immigration is a concern in a referendum it allows them to legitimise racism by pretending they aren't.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-leave-brexit
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

As said previously, if some people say immigration is a concern in a referendum it allows them to legitimise racism by pretending they aren't.

I assume that 'some' would be aimed at someone else? Not the person you're conversing with at the time because that is an intesely insulting thing to call someone. The racism card is becoming tired and dog eared. To have genuine fears about massive influxes of migrants is not racist, it's human.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:15 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Wales? No, as a country they voted for Brexit.
Thanks BC - should have checked before posting.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BC - should have checked before posting.
Yeah, check your facts haha
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually the reverse is true.

Weak minded, shallow, left wingers, use the immigration debate to throw the racist card around.

Its such a harsh thing to call someone, that in the past its been used shoot down any immigration debate. Thankfully the world is waking up.

And left wingers still can't figure out that open borders is a disaster for the world.

PS. No need to post left wing propaganda links. I don't read them - especially when it says the Guardian somewhere in it.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 9th 2017 at 9:19 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually the reverse is true.

Weak minded, shallow, left wingers, use the immigration debate to throw the racist card around.

Its such a harsh thing to call someone, that in the past its been used shoot down any immigration debate. Thankfully the world is waking up.

And left wingers still can't figure out that open borders is a disaster for the world.

PS. No need to post left wing propaganda links. I don't read them - especially when it says the Guardian somewhere in it.
Deflection as ever. What was being discussed, by me anyway, is why Brexit succeeded. I've listed the reasons which you can dispute if you wish but you haven't. The number one issue was immigration and I've made the point that being concerned about the level of immigration legitimises feelings of racism which a lot of people in the UK have. You are making some feeble point that if it is described as concern about immigration it can't possibly contain an element of racism by some.

Please quote where I have recommended 'open borders'. Like Trump you exaggerate the ease with which one can emigrate to a country like the UK or US or Australia.

List the reasons why one should be frightened or concerned about people who are different. Real reasons, not irrational fears.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Deflection as ever. What was being discussed, by me anyway, is why Brexit succeeded. I've listed the reasons which you can dispute if you wish but you haven't. The number one issue was immigration and I've made the point that being concerned about the level of immigration legitimises feelings of racism which a lot of people in the UK have. You are making some feeble point that if it is described as concern about immigration it can't possibly contain an element of racism by some.

Please quote where I have recommended 'open borders'. Like Trump you exaggerate the ease with which one can emigrate to a country like the UK or US or Australia.

List the reasons why one should be frightened or concerned about people who are different. Real reasons, not irrational fears.
As Beoz reverses back out of the dark alley before OzT attempts a mugging.

Nice try sport. I have no fear of people who are different. Are you suggesting I am racist? If so keep walking sunshine.

Without controlled migration you have open borders. Is that what you want? At least answer that.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As Beoz reverses back out of the dark alley before OzT attempts a mugging.

Nice try sport. I have no fear of people who are different. Are you suggesting I am racist? If so keep walking sunshine.

Without controlled migration you have open borders. Is that what you want? At least answer that.
For the fourth time probably racism was involved in the Brexit outcome. What I am accusing you of is denying that it was.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

For the fourth time probably racism was involved in the Brexit outcome. What I am accusing you of is denying that it was.
Don't controlled migration and racism mean something different? What's the argument?
You can have open borders and racism. Racism has nothing to do with migration IMHO. Migration becomes a problem when too many turn up. E.g. continental Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.