Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Brexit the aftermath, did the people of the UK vote correctly ?
Yes
40.95%
No
50.48%
Not more bloody navel gazing for gawd sakes !!!
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Old Apr 8th 2017, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I think you'll find that paedophilia is very much a growing club, aided and abetted by the internet and global communication. The Catholic church has chosen for many years to hide its shame, and still continues to do so in many ways.
I think you will find that the internet has made it possible to highlight and catch paedophiles. Its a case of "no where to hide" now. Even suggesting it is close to the atrocities of what the bad element of Islam has done is insane. Remember the 3000 dead in the world trade centres?

There are many bad apples amongst western democracies - what are you suggesting we do to weed them out? To control them?
So you are equating a religion to a style of government. Ok I suppose you are right if you refer to Sharia Law. This is one of the things ISIS wants - Sharia Law. Do you think its acceptable to commit such atrocities in the name of that?

But all of this really has very little to do with whether or not the UK did the right thing in it's decision to leave the EU. Whether or not it will maintain some level of normality in its departure? How many of the existing EU laws will be enacted now in UK law?
Actually it had a lot to do with the reason for the people of the UK voting to leave the EU. Your average Joe saw the masses of Syrians entering Europe via news and media and said no thanks to that. Of course the remain vote under-estimated the power of the media, failed in their bid to convince the masses otherwise. Tut tut. Onwards and upwards.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 6:53 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I think you will find that the internet has made it possible to highlight and catch paedophiles. Its a case of "no where to hide" now. Even suggesting it is close to the atrocities of what the bad element of Islam has done is insane. Remember the 3000 dead in the world trade centres?
Where did I offer a comparison between paedophilia and terrorism? The post I responded to made reference to paedophilia by Muslims in Rotheram.

Actually it had a lot to do with the reason for the people of the UK voting to leave the EU. Your average Joe saw the masses of Syrians entering Europe via news and media and said no thanks to that. Of course the remain vote under-estimated the power of the media, failed in their bid to convince the masses otherwise. Tut tut. Onwards and upwards.
The average Joe was led down the garden path by believing that exiting from the EU and refugees were one and the same. Leaving the EU does not affect the UK's obligations under the UNHCR.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 7:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The average Joe was led down the garden path by believing that exiting from the EU and refugees were one and the same. Leaving the EU does not affect the UK's obligations under the UNHCR.
They weren't - the information was out there - but many chose to ignore it and voted for Brexit because they were worried about inward migration and refugees and the general perception - right in part, wrong in others - that the EU was the main cause of this
Old Apr 8th 2017, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Sweden ? Switzerland ? Maybe you were talking about Swaziland ? One of those foreign places !
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Sweden ? Switzerland ? Maybe you were talking about Swaziland ? One of those foreign places !
Easy now, strange that you should highlight my cock up( as well as me doing so) instead of commenting on the content though. I suppose I must be a Xenophobe, or heaven forbid a racist bigot

Heard a great comparison yesterday, if a black man calls Tom Cruise a twat for following scientology, does that make him a racist?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Apr 8th 2017 at 8:48 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Some people don't want to rock the multicultural boat and refuse to accept that there is a problem with elements of islam in Europe - head in the sand time unfortunately

Worry not though, the ethnic people of Europe are slowly awakening to the threat - and muslim assholes driving cars and trucks an into people and department stores are just making this awakening happen much faster

The time they are a changing - and the change is going to be ugly
Yep, I've been reading up on Tommy Robinson of EDL fame, they're/he's a one cause movement, against radical Islam, and you should see the abuse he gets for it. His issue is not with colour, not in the slightest. I would suggest listening to this bloke before things get worse and Nick Griffin is the man they all turn to.

One thing he said rings true is that none of our celebrity friends who preach tolerance etc etc, have to live with the consequences of mass immigration, so it's easy for them.

I've also been reading up on George Galloway, what an arsehole.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:58 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Easy now, strange that you should highlight my cock up( as well as me doing so) instead of commenting on the content though. I suppose I must be a Xenophobe, or heaven forbid a racist bigot

Heard a great comparison yesterday, if a black man calls Tom Cruise a twat for following scientology, does that make him a racist?
No, everyone knows TC is an idiot
Old Apr 8th 2017, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

One can choose his religion but not the color of one's skin. Being born black isn't within one's control, but choosing to believe in Scientology .... erm.

Anyway, I'm of the belief if there ain't nothing nice to say about something, then don't say it. So I won't.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1

Of course not he's white and its OK to be a bigot against white people.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where did I offer a comparison between paedophilia and terrorism? The post I responded to made reference to paedophilia by Muslims in Rotheram.

Post 928

Average Joe was only led down the garden path if you are a remain voter and you don't respect democracy. Is that what you are?

But average Joe is an armchair critic, average Joe has a limited attention span.

Its far easier for average Joe to believe all those refugees boarding trucks at Calais are headed their way than it is to really look into the numbers.

Its a bit like Mediscare. Its far easier for the average Joe to understand such a little tag line which was never true. And many idiots voted for that.

The thing is, if the UK had their immigration sorted, working permits sorted, refugee program sorted, they wouldn't be camping at Calais. What really is the attraction of the UK when you have the rest of Europe to play with?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 9:37 pm

Post 928

Average Joe was only led down the garden path if you are a remain voter and you don't respect democracy. Is that what you are?

But average Joe is an armchair critic, average Joe has a limited attention span.

Its far easier for average Joe to believe all those refugees boarding trucks at Calais are headed their way than it is to really look into the numbers.

Its a bit like Mediscare. Its far easier for the average Joe to understand such a little tag line which was never true. And many idiots voted for that.

The thing is, if the UK had their immigration sorted, working permits sorted, refugee program sorted, they wouldn't be camping at Calais. What really is the attraction of the UK when you have the rest of Europe to play with?
I suggest you go back and read post 928 and the quoted post again. To make it easier for you:
The Cologne mass assault, the 1400 young girls sexually asaulted in Rotheram. They all have one thing in common, and I'll leave you to decide what that is.
As for paedophilia, I think Catholics would be high up there. Rape is all religions,
Where is the comparison with terrorism?

And I did not vote as I don't live in the UK, but yes I respect that the majority of those who voted did vote to leave - doesn't mean I have to agree with the result, just abide by it. Average Joe was led down the garden path regardless of my opinion because for many that I have spoken to, it was a vote on refugees trying to enter the UK - something that will not change because of Brexit.

The UK does have it's immigration sorted - try getting into the UK if you are not from an EU member state. Have a look at the issues UK citizens have trying to get a non-eu spouse into the UK, and how much that costs.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I suggest you go back and read post 928 and the quoted post again. To make it easier for you:

Where is the comparison with terrorism?

And I did not vote as I don't live in the UK, but yes I respect that the majority of those who voted did vote to leave - doesn't mean I have to agree with the result, just abide by it. Average Joe was led down the garden path regardless of my opinion because for many that I have spoken to, it was a vote on refugees trying to enter the UK - something that will not change because of Brexit.

The UK does have it's immigration sorted - try getting into the UK if you are not from an EU member state. Have a look at the issues UK citizens have trying to get a non-eu spouse into the UK, and how much that costs.
Right. So you have spoke to those who believe it was a vote on refugees.

In contrast those who I have spoken to who actually voted for Brexit, voted for it because their farming subsidies and subsequent standard of living are far worse under EU law than they were when the British government were deciding on subsidies.

You spoke to those who didn't get the result they wanted.

I spoke to those who voted for Brexit.

See the difference?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 10:27 pm

In contrast those who I have spoken to who actually voted for Brexit, voted for it because their farming subsidies and subsequent standard of living are far worse under EU law than they were when the British government were deciding on subsidies.

See the difference?
Almost, I spoke (and still speak) to those you voted on refugees and got the result they wanted, i.e. Brexit, but will not get the desired result of less refugees most likely.

Only family and friends I have in farming are in Wales, who voted remain as a country so not sure what effect EU is having on farming subsidies compared to other benefits of EU membership - didn't look into it too hard as I have no intention of returning. But they will also have to abide by the democratic result, and Brexit when it is delivered.

One thing is for certain, right now no-one really knows if the Brexit result will deliver all that they hoped for / feared (depending on which side of the fence you sit).
Old Apr 8th 2017, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

See the difference?
Here's some suggestions why Brexit succeeded:

It appealed to those who longed for a Britain of old. Xenophobia is on the rise and it gave people the chance to hide behind or to normalise racism. Despite what your research from the people you have spoke (sic) to, every analysis since has said that immigration or whatever you want to call it was the number one issue.

As with Trump's success it was seen as a chance to 'stick one up' businessmen, banks, mainstream political parties etc.

The majority of the British press (i.e. right wing rags) used scare tactics to warn people - day after day after day. Express, Mail etc were particular vehement about the perceived dangers posed by 'unBritish' people.

David Cameron thought I'll give the Eurosceptics their referendum to shut them up. Enter Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove etc stage right. Cameron's choice of question, choice of timing and ineptitude in campaigning has much to answer for - it spectacularly backfired. All the fuss since the result has been because there is a hell of a lot more to Brexit than just curbing immigration.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Here's some suggestions why Brexit succeeded:

It appealed to those who longed for a Britain of old. Xenophobia is on the rise and it gave people the chance to hide behind or to normalise racism. Despite what your research from the people you have spoke (sic) to, every analysis since has said that immigration or whatever you want to call it was the number one issue.

As with Trump's success it was seen as a chance to 'stick one up' businessmen, banks, mainstream political parties etc.

The majority of the British press (i.e. right wing rags) used scare tactics to warn people - day after day after day. Express, Mail etc were particular vehement about the perceived dangers posed by 'unBritish' people.

David Cameron thought I'll give the Eurosceptics their referendum to shut them up. Enter Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove etc stage right. Cameron's choice of question, choice of timing and ineptitude in campaigning has much to answer for - it spectacularly backfired. All the fuss since the result has been because there is a hell of a lot more to Brexit than just curbing immigration.
You forgot 'being constantly labelled a xenophobe and racist' don't underestimate the power of labels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.