Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Brexit the aftermath, did the people of the UK vote correctly ?
Yes
40.95%
No
50.48%
Not more bloody navel gazing for gawd sakes !!!
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Old Apr 10th 2017, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Originally Posted by OzTennis
If you looked you would have seen the poll was in June last year just before the vote. I'm talking about immigration being the main issue which decided how people voted just after that (how else can one discuss what influenced how people voted than what was prevailing in June '16; now is irrelevant, the vote is done and dusted).

You are trying to brush it away with talk of people sick of Brussels red tape, farming subsidies etc. Again I make the point that SOME people who are racist can use the 'immigration issue' to legitimise their irrational fears. End of. I'm not going to spend endless time on this (like when you couldn't grasp that Farage was drawing a bigger salary post Brexit due to the decline of the pound).

Open borders is nonsense; smacks of nobody at airports, ports, patrolling coastlines to stop illegal immigrants. Point to where I'm suggesting this prevails.
You aren't making sense.

On one hand you say that people who vote for immigration policies are racist and on the other you say open borders are nonsense.

Which do you want? You obviously are in dire need of both.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You aren't making sense.

On one hand you say that people who vote for immigration policies are racist and on the other you say open borders are nonsense.

Which do you want? You obviously are in dire need of both.
1 For the sixth/seventh time, 'concern for immigration' legitimised racism for SOME (not all)!!!!!! people who voted Leave. For example, the retired guy a few doors down from me who 'can't stand all the bloody Poles' in the town and always mentions to me the one lady he meets in Tesco who wears a burka, voted Leave for that reason. He's not a farmer, he's not a businessman affected by Brussels red tape; he's retired and he (for some reason) fears people who are different or sees it as a challenge to his way of life. When I go to football matches there are still morons who boo whenever a coloured or muslim player touches the ball (it's not 'good hearted banter' either).

2 I am questioning your concept of 'open borders' if you'd think - do you really think there was no passport control before and anyone who wanted to come, could? I was happy with the controls which were in place before. It's not a case of stricter immigration controls or open slather; there is a point between.

I've made my point to my satisfaction so change the record.

Last edited by OzTennis; Apr 10th 2017 at 9:37 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
F*** me. If you're in the timezone I think you're in, isn't it a bit early to be out of your head?

LOl I would find that funny if I actually cared about your views or way of thinking but..... I don't, I actually live in the UK by the way,
Old Apr 10th 2017, 10:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Singapore? 4th major financial centre in the world after NY, London and Tokyo. Is that your definition of "insignificant?"

Ranked #2 in the global ranking on economic freedom.

Higher per capita GDP than Australia or the UK.

One of the least corrupt countries in the world.

#1 airline in the world. #1 airport in the world.

Yes, please tell us more - where exactly were you educated?
And run by a dictator too

Top marks
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

1 For the sixth/seventh time, 'concern for immigration' legitimised racism for SOME (not all)!!!!!! people who voted Leave. For example, the retired guy a few doors down from me who 'can't stand all the bloody Poles' in the town and always mentions to me the one lady he meets in Tesco who wears a burka, voted Leave for that reason. He's not a farmer, he's not a businessman affected by Brussels red tape; he's retired and he (for some reason) fears people who are different or sees it as a challenge to his way of life. When I go to football matches there are still morons who boo whenever a coloured or muslim player touches the ball (it's not 'good hearted banter' either).
There are still morons in the crowd who remind Liverpool of Hillsborough, or chant songs about the death of Billy Sharps baby son, or do plane crashing animations at Man U supporters.

Making fun of ones race is just another of the above and should not be signalled out as any worse than the above. Its all hurtful which is what its designed to do.

Your neighbour doesn't like Poles. So what. You don't invite people you don't like into your home. Why should he. He probably doesn't like Aussie's either and tells his Polish mates "bloody Aussie"

It doesn't mean he believes Scots are superior nor does he direct abuse at the Poles which is really the definition of racism. He just likes his piece of Scotland to be Scottish.

2 I am questioning your concept of 'open borders' if you'd think - do you really think there was no passport control before and anyone who wanted to come, could? I was happy with the controls which were in place before. It's not a case of stricter immigration controls or open slather; there is a point between.

I've made my point to my satisfaction so change the record.
So if open borders aren't an option, then Brexit gives the UK more control over who they permit to reside in the UK, which then becomes the same as the US, Canada and Australia operate. You can have your refugee numbers, your family migration numbers, your working holiday numbers, your skill mogration numbers, and if you wanted to, you could even say we are going to allow European countries with a certain standard of living free movement too. It gives back control and you can re-negotiate and re-write the rules.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

There are still morons in the crowd who remind Liverpool of Hillsborough, or chant songs about the death of Billy Sharps baby son, or do plane crashing animations at Man U supporters.

Making fun of ones race is just another of the above and should not be signalled out as any worse than the above. Its all hurtful which is what its designed to do.

Your neighbour doesn't like Poles. So what. You don't invite people you don't like into your home. Why should he. He probably doesn't like Aussie's either and tells his Polish mates "bloody Aussie"

It doesn't mean he believes Scots are superior nor does he direct abuse at the Poles which is really the definition of racism. He just likes his piece of Scotland to be Scottish.

So if open borders aren't an option, then Brexit gives the UK more control over who they permit to reside in the UK, which then becomes the same as the US, Canada and Australia operate. You can have your refugee numbers, your family migration numbers, your working holiday numbers, your skill mogration numbers, and if you wanted to, you could even say we are going to allow European countries with a certain standard of living free movement too. It gives back control and you can re-negotiate and re-write the rules.
'Propaganda' - as per your comment about me in the other thread, I'm not going to read or reply to what you have to say in future.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

'Propaganda' - as per your comment about me in the other thread, I'm not going to read or reply to what you have to say in future.
Nope. Its just a very neutral, common sense approach to things.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope. Its just a very neutral, common sense approach to things.
Whatever, it's how you dismiss any view contrary to your own.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whatever, it's how you dismiss any view contrary to your own.
Far left far right views yes.

Your links yes. But your links are never ever from the right of the spectrum. You only post links from the left and far left, so its easy to dismiss on biased grounds.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 12:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We're all different aren't we. All of us trying to make our way through the great big melting pot of life

My grandfather hated Germans with a passion until the day he died - and considering what they did to him and his buddies, maybe kind of understandable. Was he wrong to feel like this all his life? Probably, but his issue not mine as I like Germans and Germany a lot
Old Apr 30th 2017, 10:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, the EU member states vote unanimously within minutes on the terms under which the EU will negotiate Brexit with the UK. It's beginning to look like a) Everyone in the EU hates the British, and/or b) The EU is a dictatorship, and c) the other member states are being warned against dissent, which backs up b.

I'm beginning to think the UK is going to be well rid to be honest. True colours being shown I think.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
So, the EU member states vote unanimously within minutes on the terms under which the EU will negotiate Brexit with the UK. It's beginning to look like a) Everyone in the EU hates the British, and/or b) The EU is a dictatorship, and c) the other member states are being warned against dissent, which backs up b.

I'm beginning to think the UK is going to be well rid to be honest. True colours being shown I think.
Yes I saw that. c) is awesome and fits nicely with b)

I think the EU dictators are quietly shitting themselves here.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 11:35 am
Account Closed

Yes I saw that. c) is awesome and fits nicely with b)

I think the EU dictators are quietly shitting themselves here.
Yep, I think you're right. I wonder now if the SNP view the EU with the same mis-trust as they view the UK. They should be.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Yep, I think you're right. I wonder now if the SNP view the EU with the same mis-trust as they view the UK. They should be.
Whilst the EU has many great qualities, it has become all about power, which it shouldn't be.

They can laugh at Farage all they like, but he does explain the situation very well.

Old Apr 30th 2017, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

Whilst the EU has many great qualities, it has become all about power, which it shouldn't be.

They can laugh at Farage all they like, but he does explain the situation very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7le5GPJpbE
He talks a massive amount of sense, only trouble I have with him is the way he scurried away from politics when he won and would have to do something, he lost all credibility from that point. Doesn't detract from his message though, just his intestinal fortitude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.