Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Depression / anxiety

Depression / anxiety

Old May 17th 2012, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Depression / anxiety

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Losing the house!!!That's awful.Were you the sole source of income eddie?
For the mortgage yes... ians money goes on household/food/savings mine goes on mortgage/bills.... And I earn significantly more than him....
Old May 17th 2012, 11:13 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
For the mortgage yes... ians money goes on household/food/savings mine goes on mortgage/bills.... And I earn significantly more than him....
Keep your pecker up
Old May 17th 2012, 11:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

And you're completely wrong about "you wont feel better til the situation is sprted" clap trap... My situation is still the same... Could still easily loose the house, still incapacitated by injury.... But feeling fine now thank you... thanks to the chemicals
I am obviously talking about "mild" situations here, no need for such rudeness.
Old May 17th 2012, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You were obviously talking about something you know very little about here, no need for such smugness
Old May 17th 2012, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I must jump to Eddie's defence. She was not being rude and you were not at all "obvious".

Do you wonder that sufferers of depression can feel so misunderstood, to put it mildly?
Old May 17th 2012, 11:26 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

You were obviously talking about something you know very little about here, no need for such smugness
How do you know what I know about depression? Or anything else for that matter?

You dont.

I must jump to Eddie's defence. She was not being rude and you were not at all "obvious".

And if you read what I wrote to Northernbird you will see that I was talking about specific people not the whole population.
Old May 17th 2012, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How do you know what I know about depression? Or anything else for that matter?

You dont.

And if you read what I wrote to Northernbird you will see that I was talking about specific people not the whole population.
Its quite obvious what you know about depression.
Old May 17th 2012, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Ah then you have what I call situational depression, I don't even know if it's a real term?? I might have made it up.

See for me living in Australia was making me feel that way, you are having problems with your (teenage??) daughter, my friend is having problems with the man she lives with and was talking about anti-depressants to me last week, but in all 3 cases, you, me and my friend, it is caused by the SITUATION we find ourselves in.

No pill is going to take away the situation and we won't feel OK again until the situation is sorted.
So I have ALL these issues - probs with teenage daughter, unhappy with partner and would really rather be at home or nearer to it than I am here. Dear God, I'd never realised all that before!

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't know much about the subject and until recently I was very much in the 'pull yourself together' camp.

However, I still don't get how people can just be depressed for no reason. At the moment I am very low due to some issues with my daughter. Am I depressed? Who knows, I don't. I know that I am tearful, can't sleep, don't want to do anything etc. Would I feel like this if all was hunky-dory at home? Probably not.
So it sounds like there ARE two types of depression (or more?) . People like my daughter (and others here?) who to my mind has nothing at all to be depressed about and is diagnosed with 'clinical depression' which is the chemical imbalance and those of us who have a temporary reason to be sad but we can see how it's 'fixable' . Or maybe one is ''depression' and one is just 'a bit sad and weepy at the moment'.

The clinical depression is certainly worse to live with long term but doesn't make the 'being sad at the moment' any less of a thing. They both suck.

EDIT: Lots of posts above while I was typing this, sorry if repeating others :-)

Last edited by Penny45; May 17th 2012 at 11:36 am.
Old May 17th 2012, 12:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

Its quite obvious what you know about depression.
I have made it my business to find out about depression looking and searching for alternative therapies for years as I don't want to take pills.

I have one brother and two sisters who are all on Prozac.

One of my sister's was put in hospital under the care of a psychiatrist about 7 years ago after drinking household bleach.

My other sister took an overdose about 2 months ago.

Like I said you don't know anything about me or what I know about depression, my views on depression may not be to everybody's liking but this is what I have researched for myself.

Last edited by Beedubya; May 17th 2012 at 12:38 pm.
Old May 17th 2012, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah then you have what I call situational depression, I don't even know if it's a real term?? I might have made it up.

See for me living in Australia was making me feel that way, you are having problems with your (teenage??) daughter, my friend is having problems with the man she lives with and was talking about anti-depressants to me last week, but in all 3 cases, you, me and my friend, it is caused by the SITUATION we find ourselves in.

No pill is going to take away the situation and we won't feel OK again until the situation is sorted.
CBA

Last edited by eddie007; May 17th 2012 at 1:12 pm. Reason: CBA
Old May 17th 2012, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I have made it my business to find out about depression looking and searching for alternative therapies for years as I don't want to take pills.

I have one brother and two sisters who are all on Prozac.

One of my sister's was put in hospital under the care of a psychiatrist about 7 years ago after drinking household bleach.

My other sister took an overdose about 2 months ago.

Like I said you don't know anything about me or what I know about depression, my views on depression may not be to everybody's liking but this is what I have researched for myself.
Your opinion is as valid as others, all have a right to our own views. When you say researched yourself is this research done on close family and friends circumstances or did you take a cross section of society and sample different situations, as there are many.

If you have researched the subject and have some ground breaking information then please share this information and quote your research sources.

You could state that you have researched the impacts on people you know with the condition or even yourself, but this wouldn't cover all situations.

Please expand on your views and research Did you focus in on a specific area or try and encompass all variations?
Old May 17th 2012, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe that the earth is flat... And I'm going to evidence this by showing you pictures I have taken myself of the ocean... If the earth were round then the ocean would certainly fall off.... And you wouldnt see it...

My sister, whilst on holiday in benidorm took simi,ar photos, and I submit those as further evidence

The is a Flat Earth Society, if you want to join it... I can give you a link... There you go, its true, its got its very own support group...on the internet no less

There you go... "evidence" and "proof" of my belief... And you HAVE to accept that my belief is as valid as yours because its "mine"
Bull Shit
Old May 17th 2012, 1:08 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Jon77
Your opinion is as valid as others, all have a right to our own views. When you say researched yourself is this research done on close family and friends circumstances or did you take a cross section of society and sample different situations, as there are many.

If you have researched the subject and have some ground breaking information then please share this information and quote your research sources.

You could state that you have researched the impacts on people you know with the condition or even yourself, but this wouldn't cover all situations.

Please expand on your views and research Did you focus in on a specific area or try and encompass all variations?
I am not talking about clinical research Jon, I am not a doctor, I am talking about research as in learning for and about myself so I did not head down the same path as my family (see above post).

It is obvious that what I posted is probably a bit new agey or woo woo for other people to look at, and that's fine by me, each to their own.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why some people who go through really tough times do not suffer depression & others do ???
Not at all trying to start some big debate about " who has it tougher than others " but the human brain & how it works interests me !

Nicky
Old May 17th 2012, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I wonder why some people who go through really tough times do not suffer depression & others do ???
Not at all trying to start some big debate about " who has it tougher than others " but the human brain & how it works interests me !

Nicky
I wonder why some people get appendicitis and others dont... Or why some people develop CHD and others dont.. Why some people who dont smoke develop lung cancer....

Not at all trying to start some big debate about "who gets illnesses and who doesnt" but the human body interests me

OFFS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.