Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Depression / anxiety

Depression / anxiety

Old Sep 14th 2012, 2:09 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Depression / anxiety

Originally Posted by earlybird
When I was at the peak of my stress last term I was taking Blackmores Executive Stress Vitamin B that certainly helped. Must start taking them again.
Great!

There's a whole basketful of vitamins that can help but the B ones are the most important. Using the results of blood tests as well as personal circumstances, the nutritionist identified those needed and I bulk ordered them from the US, saving a lot of money. The nutritionist also recommended the foods to eat more of and those to avoid. Walnuts for example help against stress - just the equivalent of two whole nuts per day.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a bit of an update on my situation since I started this thread. My depression has stabliased a little but the anxiety remains very strong indeed.

I have been give Lexapro but the side effects were too bad so had to stop taking those.

Then I was give Zoloft and the side effects if those were even worse than the Lexapro and again had to stop as advised by my doctor.

I have been given a third set of tablets to try which I haven't collected as yet, can't remember the name, starts with 'C', see how those go.

I was also prescribed Xanax, I know that these tablets get a VERY bad press because of the addiction problems some can have. Personally I have no addiction issues at all. I take one as and when needed with often 3 or 4 week gaps inbetween. They work really really well at calming me down and getting me through things I usually would run a mile from. However I have never had any desire to keeping popping these pills and have had no side effects other than a small headache the day after I have taken one. The amount that has been perscribed by my doctor will probably last me until this time next year or even longer.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 5:58 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jon77
can't remember the name, starts with 'C', see how those go.
Cipramil, Cetalaphram (spellings ?!) ... tried them plus Lexapro, Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor, and recently stopped taking Prestiq as it's done nowt after a month taking.

I'd say they was all 'sugar tabs' if it wasn't for the fact that Cetalaphram worked once for me in the UK. Can't for the life of me work out why it don't work here.

Nic uses Seroxat permanently, altho still suffers with Anxiety / Depression, just not as bad as without!
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Cipramil, Cetalaphram (spellings ?!) ... tried them plus Lexapro, Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor, and recently stopped taking Prestiq as it's done nowt after a month taking.

I'd say they was all 'sugar tabs' if it wasn't for the fact that Cetalaphram worked once for me in the UK. Can't for the life of me work out why it don't work here.

Nic uses Seroxat permanently, altho still suffers with Anxiety / Depression, just not as bad as without!
I would say you have been through so much lately Paul that any medication you try will be challenged to the max.

Once you get a lucky break and things pick up for you and I hope and believe they will, things might seem a lot better.

Old Sep 14th 2012, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Going to try not to be a stress head and have a panic attack today- DD is swimming, and still isn't fully fit. Last time she swam the coach told me not to come back as I was a stress head, and made me cry.

I'm really rather anxious already. Plus I have to drive to Homebush!!!
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:41 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Going to try not to be a stress head and have a panic attack today- DD is swimming, and still isn't fully fit. Last time she swam the coach told me not to come back as I was a stress head, and made me cry.

I'm really rather anxious already. Plus I have to drive to Homebush!!!
Maybe the best will be to drop DD off in the care of the coach who'll keep her safe and go and do something else instead. Treat yourself to a bit of retail therapy or whatever you enjoy - it'll help keep your mind away from worrying. Good luck!
Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Maybe the best will be to drop DD off in the care of the coach who'll keep her safe and go and do something else instead. Treat yourself to a bit of retail therapy or whatever you enjoy - it'll help keep your mind away from worrying. Good luck!
No can do- I sat through the whole thing. DD got a gold medal in the 50m breast!! (She was the only competitor though, as by that time lots of people had gone home.) She was better than I thought she would be, and got reasonably close to PB's in two of the 5 races, so she is making progress.

Now I have another stressful drive today to collect a friend of DD and take both her and DD to a party. I don't actually know where this friend lives, other than it is out of the way and involves driving on the Pacific Highway and the Ryde Road. At least she is being returned home so I only have to do the journey once.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Sep 15th 2012 at 10:10 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:41 pm
Banned

No can do- I sat through the whole thing. DD got a gold medal in the 50m breast!! (She was the only competitor though, as by that time lots of people had gone home.) She was better than I thought she would be, and got reasonably close to PB's in two of the 5 races, so she is making progress.

Now I have another stressful drive today to collect a friend of DD and take both her and DD to a party. I don't actually know where this friend lives, other than it is out of the way and involves driving on the Pacific Highway and the Ryde Road. At least she is being returned home so I only have to do the journey once.
Well done to your daughter!

Ah, those journeys to destinations that we're not exactly sure of . A satnav is a dear and trusted friend for trips like that.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
Well done to your daughter!

Ah, those journeys to destinations that we're not exactly sure of . A satnav is a dear and trusted friend for trips like that.
I haven't got one.
I made it safely, though looked so haggard that I was invited in for a cup of tea before I had to drive back!

Speaking of depression/anxiety, my sister is worrying me at the moment. I've had to block her e-mails due to her overreacting, sending me angry/ emotional messages that I just can't cope with and I'm worried that she will have a nervous breakdown or go back to self harming, and of course she will blame me.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Sep 28th 2012 at 12:10 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 2:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't got one.
I made it safely, though looked so haggard that I was invited in for a cup of tea before I had to drive back!

Speaking of depression/anxiety, my sister is worrying me at the moment. I've had to block her e-mails due to her overreacting, sending me angry/ emotional messages that I just can't cope with and I'm worried that she will have a nervous breakdown or go back to self harming, and of course she will blame me.
Caroline I know its hard but she has to be responsible for her own actions and you have enough to be contending with in your own life to be dealing with her stuff as well.

I learned long ago from certain family members that they make their own choices which decide their outcomes and I have no part in it. They run their own life and I run mine and yes it was bloody hard to try and stop worrying but when I did manage it, it made life a lot easier.

You are not to blame for her depression and if she has a breakdown and self harms, you are not to blame for that either.

There is help out there, sadly the person has to reach that point where they know they need help and can seek it out but only they can do it.

You concentrate on yourself and your family. xxxxx
Old Sep 30th 2012, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Caroline I know its hard but she has to be responsible for her own actions and you have enough to be contending with in your own life to be dealing with her stuff as well.

I learned long ago from certain family members that they make their own choices which decide their outcomes and I have no part in it. They run their own life and I run mine and yes it was bloody hard to try and stop worrying but when I did manage it, it made life a lot easier.

You are not to blame for her depression and if she has a breakdown and self harms, you are not to blame for that either.

There is help out there, sadly the person has to reach that point where they know they need help and can seek it out but only they can do it.

You concentrate on yourself and your family. xxxxx
My sister blames me for giving her nose bleeds- caused by "stress bombs" (her words). She has what I believe is post traumatic stress syndrome caused by the death of my father, which has added to the depression. She took herself off all her medication without consulting the doctors, and is busy collecting ferrets- has 9 of them now. I daren't mention anything to do with dad or the sale of his house, or she overreacts and gets angry. I had no choice but to block her, but it doesn't stop me worrying.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

haven't read through all the messages on here, but am wondering ' how did depression affect your emigration to Oz ' ??
HB has been suffering for a few years now, getting worse...and it has cast a really great doubt over our decision to move to Oz. He can't see himself starting a new job/ new people/ having family rely on him as main earner. ( mental health nurse of all things )
On the other hates he hates living in Ireland...the weather doesn't help depression, but of course that's not everything.
As a partner of a depressed person I am at my wits end. It affects the whole family, and sometimes I want to walk out, sometimes think' let's jst go for it and make the move, maybe it would actually help.
Our visa runs out in mid 2014, and I am hoping for a minor miracle.
Anyone on this forum who has been there, done that ? Made the move despite added stress, higher than normal anxiety under already stressful circumstances ? How did you cope ?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozbaz
haven't read through all the messages on here, but am wondering ' how did depression affect your emigration to Oz ' ??
HB has been suffering for a few years now, getting worse...and it has cast a really great doubt over our decision to move to Oz. He can't see himself starting a new job/ new people/ having family rely on him as main earner. ( mental health nurse of all things )
On the other hates he hates living in Ireland...the weather doesn't help depression, but of course that's not everything.
As a partner of a depressed person I am at my wits end. It affects the whole family, and sometimes I want to walk out, sometimes think' let's jst go for it and make the move, maybe it would actually help.
Anyone on this forum who has been there, done that ? Made the move despite added stress, higher than normal anxiety under already stressful circumstances ? How did you cope ?
I had already suffered from depression for over 20 years when we came here. It just wasn't a problem, other than it had always been. I knew I had an illness and it wasn't going to rule my life, so I just got on with doing what we both wanted. I'm very glad we came. I'm very happy even though I still have depression. I have the same 'down' episodes as before but probably not as bad or as many. I have a doctor who understands. I know my husband was apprehensive about how I would cope but I was determined to do it and it was without major incident.

IMHO migration won't improve a shaky situation - frame of mind, relationship or attitude. Migration won't cure depression but it could influence it. I think it's important to concentrate on getting the depression under control more than anything. Then take the next step, whatever it is.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozbaz
I moved out here with anxiety / depression issues and the last 6 months in the UK and the first 6 months in Australia were very very hard for me to cope with. Selling our home, leaving my old job, saying goodbye to family and friends, looking for somewhere to live, starting a new job (temp) and finding a permanent job! Doing all of this would make even the strongest people struggle!

Thankfully I have a very supportive wife who understands I struggle and moving here was something we both wanted to do. The hardest bit for me was leaving go in the UK and making the first action - putting our house on the market. I freaked out a little and could easily have stopped things right then, but I managed to struggle on with it. Then you just take it a stage at a time and after our house sold I felt that I should just roll with it rather than fight it. Even people who don't have depression or anxiety will have been through what I mention here.

Having anxiety and depression doesn't stop me doing 99% of what everyone else does. But it does make things a lot harder and much more effort is often needed which can leave you drained and shattered and at times close to a breakdown.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
I moved out here with anxiety / depression issues and the last 6 months in the UK and the first 6 months in Australia were very very hard for me to cope with. Selling our home, leaving my old job, saying goodbye to family and friends, looking for somewhere to live, starting a new job (temp) and finding a permanent job! Doing all of this would make even the strongest people struggle!

Thankfully I have a very supportive wife who understands I struggle and moving here was something we both wanted to do. The hardest bit for me was leaving go in the UK and making the first action - putting our house on the market. I freaked out a little and could easily have stopped things right then, but I managed to struggle on with it. Then you just take it a stage at a time and after our house sold I felt that I should just roll with it rather than fight it. Even people who don't have depression or anxiety will have been through what I mention here.

Having anxiety and depression doesn't stop me doing 99% of what everyone else does. But it does make things a lot harder and much more effort is often needed which can leave you drained and shattered and at times close to a breakdown.
Jeepers, I feel for you buddy.
You might have said already but which sort of depression do you have? I ask because I thought some types of depression lifted when the sun levels increased.
Fingers crossed you get on an upper soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.