Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Depression / anxiety

Depression / anxiety

Old May 17th 2012, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Depression / anxiety

Originally Posted by eddie007
I wonder why some people get appendicitis and others dont... Or why some people develop CHD and others dont.. Why some people who dont smoke develop lung cancer....

Not at all trying to start some big debate about "who gets illnesses and who doesnt" but the human body interests me

OFFS!
Oh Sorry ! will revise my last post & say " wonder why some people are such f******g drama queens & some are not " Is that better ??? ( As im sure that is what you thought i meant !)

Not sure why the hell you reacted in that way as was just a question on a very interesting thread , & strangely not just directed & YOU !!!! ( Me me me me )

OFFS !

Last edited by nickyjohnt; May 17th 2012 at 2:05 pm. Reason: Just go & chill & make a bloody quilt !
Old May 17th 2012, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Oh Sorry ! will revise my last post & say " wonder why some people are such f******g drama queens & some are not " Is that better ??? ( As im sure that is what you thought i meant !)

Not sure why the hell you reacted in that way as was just a question on a very interesting thread , & strangely not just directed & YOU !!!! ( Me me me me )

OFFS !
Not sure why you are reacting like that either....

There are two schools of thought (well actually a lot more than that)

The medical school (Psychiatry) says that depression is due to a chemical inbalance in the brain...

This chemical inbalance can be triggered by a number of things

This school dominates traditional medicine and prescribes medication for the clinical depressions...

Situational or reactive depressions (ie not clinical depression) tend to respond better to non chemical interventions....

Now back to the appendics......

Surely the ability to survive acute appendicitis without surgical intervention has more to do with positive attidtudes and ability to smile in the face of adversity than misdiagnosis or sheer bloody good luck?
Old May 17th 2012, 2:12 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

didn't someone say that depression was inward anger?
Old May 17th 2012, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
didn't someone say that depression was inward anger?
I suppose it could be logically concluded that appendicitis is inward anger too

Isnt that what medicine used to be about..in ancient Greece? bad humours causing illness?
Old May 17th 2012, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do apologise... It was mediaevil medicine that was dominated by the belief that illness was caused by bad humours...
Old May 17th 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you are reacting like that either....

There are two schools of thought (well actually a lot more than that)

The medical school (Psychiatry) says that depression is due to a chemical inbalance in the brain...

This chemical inbalance can be triggered by a number of things

This school dominates traditional medicine and prescribes medication for the clinical depressions...

Situational or reactive depressions (ie not clinical depression) tend to respond better to non chemical interventions....

Now back to the appendics......

Surely the ability to survive acute appendicitis without surgical intervention has more to do with positive attidtudes and ability to smile in the face of adversity than misdiagnosis or sheer bloody good luck?
Wow ! what a very complex answer !! It could of come straight out of a medical book !
Old May 17th 2012, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow ! what a very complex answer !! It could of come straight out of a medical journel !
Nope... That was straight out of the memory of an old registered nurse who enjoyed her mental health placement... And has spent a lot of time with mental health pts who also have medical conditions that need treating too or who turned up in ED in crisis and needed knowledgeable understanding nursing care until the "Real" mental health nurses could get round to assessing them....
Old May 17th 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nope... That was straight out of the memory of an old registered nurse who enjoyed her mental health placement... And has spent a lot of time with mental health pts who also have medical conditions that need treating too or who turned up in ED in crisis and needed knowledgeable understanding nursing care until the "Real" mental health nurses could get round to assessing them....
Well good on you ! I think you make a very good mental health care nurse.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well good on you ! I think you make a very good mental health care nurse.
I obviously make a very defensive mental health patient though

(and I'm NOT a RMHN...)
Old May 17th 2012, 2:44 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why some people who go through really tough times do not suffer depression & others do ???
Not at all trying to start some big debate about " who has it tougher than others " but the human brain & how it works interests me !

Nicky
The human brain is very interesting. As to why others suffer more than others I think it's how they perceive thier life as to how safe, well off, and loved they are ect.. An individuals perception I would assume varies by the amount of knowledge they have to process how they feel, as has been mentioned by previous posters a curse for those that are intelligent. also humans need rewards to make them happy and everyone has a different perspective of what reward is some may work hard and expect a new car or nice house others treat themselves to a food they like others rewards may just be a hug from a loved one.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:52 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

A link for anyone that is interested - check out the online assessment, quite interesting the questions that are asked.

http://www.sentiens.com/
Old May 17th 2012, 9:04 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
A link for anyone that is interested - check out the online assessment, quite interesting the questions that are asked.

http://www.sentiens.com/
Old May 17th 2012, 9:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say for a lot of people both the causes and safest and most effective long term treatments of mental illnesses in general are grossly misunderstood or ignored because for whatever reason the mainstream professionals refuse to endorse it. It'll be interesting to see if the mainstream professionals who have come face to face with the "little miracle" in my domain will now begin to adopt and recommend the treatment that they ignored for so long. Somehow I doubt it
Old May 17th 2012, 9:34 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

In my medical opinion-------YER ALL FACKIN BONKERS
Old May 17th 2012, 9:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
In my medical opinion-------YER ALL FACKIN BONKERS
Ahhh that's what I love about you, my friend, always there to make me smile no matter how down I feel So what does Nursey recommend for lifting the black dog off my shoulders this weekend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.