Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Depression / anxiety

Depression / anxiety

Old May 12th 2012, 8:11 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all
Default Re: Depression / anxiety

Originally Posted by macy
My son has it, has had it for years but only recently have things happened that have that have bought it into our lives more, he is only 13 so we are doing what we can. We have enrolled him into the gym as those natural endorphies seem to help, he is on meds (without them initially he couldn't even function) and after 6 months things are starting to improve and we are seeing the old him back, thankfully. I hope things turn around for you, it truly is awful and I hope your good days outweigh your bad....,
The poor thing, does he suffer from anxiety too or just depression on it's own? The reason I ask is my 12 year old son has recently started having anxiety attacks and when looking into it I saw that they were connected so just curious on your experiences, if you don't mind my asking. I have no idea how to help my boy. Currently just trying to build his confidence up and reassure him so that he is open and honest about how he's feeling and to try and understand his perspective. It is such a worry
Old May 12th 2012, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Being told what you "need" to do when you arent ready isnt helpful....

Depression makes you feel guilty because you are letting everyone down, its frightening.... When I was improving...I appeared to be getting worse... Ie I went from flat unable to feel at all... to feeling teary and being teary the whole time..

I'm glad i didnt jump down your throat tho, and stomp on your head... Because i probably misinterpreted what you were trying to say.....
Very well put. I had to learn not to argue or retaliate when my OH tried to help. I knew I was saying things that were not what I would say if well. I could flash back some terribly hurtful things if pushed.

The thing that really started my understanding (and this was years after benefiting from medication) was reading a book I found in Singapore of all places. It's a BMA Family Doctor Guide called 'Depression' by Dr Greg Wilkinson.
Both me and my OH could completely identify with the way he describes symptoms and reactions. OH kept saying 'You do that!' as he was reading it. Things neither of us had associated with depression.
Old May 12th 2012, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

The world is ridiculously stressful these days. Life has become astronomically more complex and fast paced and for many people it is just too much, problems mount up and it seems too hard to get out of it. This is often where depression and anxiety starts.

Many people are forced to spend too much time devoted to work to earn enough money to live well and then when they are not working they have to deal with the myriad of stresses in their lives that are typical of modern life. Technology seems to run our lives and most people are overwhelmed by it in the sense that it affects day to day life.

Living in cities these days is akin to completely removing and alienating yourself from the natural world and also alienates you from the basic concepts of community, which is an unnatural way to live, yet urbanisation is becoming more and more rampant, especially in Australia where in my opinion it is out of control.

Life in country towns and villages tends to be a lot more functional, but this is not the way most people live these days. Everyone needs to be close to a city because that's where all the work is and where everything 'happens'. In cities there is a genuine 'everyone for themselves' feeling compared to out in the country communities. It is an unhealthy environment basically and it contributes to many people becoming depressed and anxious.
Old May 12th 2012, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
The world is ridiculously stressful these days. Life has become astronomically more complex and fast paced and for many people it is just too much, problems mount up and it seems too hard to get out of it. This is often where depression and anxiety starts.

Many people are forced to spend too much time devoted to work to earn enough money to live well and then when they are not working they have to deal with the myriad of stresses in their lives that are typical of modern life. Technology seems to run our lives and most people are overwhelmed by it in the sense that it affects day to day life.

Living in cities these days is akin to completely removing and alienating yourself from the natural world and also alienates you from the basic concepts of community, which is an unnatural way to live, yet urbanisation is becoming more and more rampant, especially in Australia where in my opinion it is out of control.

Life in country towns and villages tends to be a lot more functional, but this is not the way most people live these days. Everyone needs to be close to a city because that's where all the work is and where everything 'happens'. In cities there is a genuine 'everyone for themselves' feeling compared to out in the country communities. It is an unhealthy environment basically and it contributes to many people becoming depressed and anxious.
Mostly irrelevant IMHO. It's chemicals in your head, not a lifestyle thing.

Farmers are very prone to depression.
Old May 12th 2012, 11:16 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You calling her a dyke now are ya?
Are you trying to infer there's something wrong with being a dyke?

Speaking of dykes did you hear they've found a gay dinosaur... It's being named lickalottapus
Old May 12th 2012, 12:32 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
Thanks for this and I know you're right, she feels much worse than I do.
I know I said no drugs but you might want to investigate 5-HTP, I have used it successfully to get over bouts of insomnia and it is said to improve mood.

Totally natural too.
Old May 12th 2012, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Mostly irrelevant IMHO. It's chemicals in your head, not a lifestyle thing.

Farmers are very prone to depression.
If it's chemicals, then chemicals are the fix...booze...

Seems that as humans we are like lab rats and are prone...
Old May 12th 2012, 2:08 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Depression / anxiety

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If it's chemicals, then chemicals are the fix...booze...

Seems that as humans we are like lab rats and are prone...
Alcohol is a depressant and should be avoided for anyone suffering depression, clearly.

For some people it is a chemical imbalence which will not be helped by sending them off into the country to raise chickens.

There are chemicals and then there are chemicals ... Adding booze vs Adding a medication designed to allievate specific imbalences are completely different things.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:14 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Something I have had limited success with (and would recommend for people with anxiety to try) is the Emotional Freedom Technique or EFT.

If you haven't heard of it, it is worth a google.

The tapping looks weird but, for whatever reason, I do think it can make you feel better.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Something I have had limited success with (and would recommend for people with anxiety to try) is the Emotional Freedom Technique or EFT.

The tapping looks weird but, for whatever reason, I do think it can make you feel better.
I have been doing this today on weight loss.
Old May 12th 2012, 5:08 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee

Isn't that a technique that Paul McKenna uses?

Has anyone tried mindfulness? The research that I've done on the subject suggests that it's very effective.
Old May 12th 2012, 10:03 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Buddhism works for me,and trust me i have some demons
Old May 12th 2012, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

MinnieTheMinx will become famous soon enoughMinnieTheMinx will become famous soon enough

Mindfulness is based on Budhist meditation, following on from studies of the physical changes that were recorded in the monks bodies during meditation.
Old May 12th 2012, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I know I said no drugs but you might want to investigate 5-HTP, I have used it successfully to get over bouts of insomnia and it is said to improve mood.

Totally natural too.
Just like Belladonna
Old May 12th 2012, 11:27 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MinnieTheMinx
Mindfulness is based on Budhist meditation, following on from studies of the physical changes that were recorded in the monks bodies during meditation.
The results of studies on it make it compelling.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...-better-brain/

There's some very good perspectives on mindfulness here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.