Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Depression / anxiety

Depression / anxiety

Old Dec 6th 2013, 10:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Depression / anxiety

Originally Posted by paulry
If you come on this thread announcing: "I spent most of my career as a psychological therapist working, without the use of medication, with people with anxiety and depression" then you have your professional cap on and you are expected to behave accordingly. Making professional accusations on a public forum that a person is paranoid does not sound very proper to me. Likewise it is well known that vitamins are beneficial with helping reduce anxiety, depressions, etc. The same with mindfulness. So if you have bolloxed those (and with no explanation why), what treatments are you proposing?
Are you going to retract your previous statement?

You know that is it is untrue from previous past private correspondence, or are conveniently forgetting that to simply dismiss another who disagrees with you?

Where have I 'bolloxed' mindfulness?......don't make things up to suit yourself

Last edited by Grayling; Dec 6th 2013 at 10:20 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Your choice. The important thing is you know you have the choice and that there is not only one show in town. You might also want to consider mindfulness. I've seen amazing results there - it's a bit like pulling the rug out from beneath the anxieties, fears, and ruminating thoughts.

Blood tests: Sorry that was a bit that I forgot to mention. At the nutritionist GP get a blood test sorted up front. Two benefits from that:
1. It provides a starting point of your medical indicators before beginning the megavitamin therapy - perfect for those who just want to be sure that everything is tracking right. Follow up with new blood tests and get them compared every 3 months or so.
2. The blood tests will inform the nutritionist what many of your deficiencies are. Not sure if they tell the full story or point towards things like dependencies though. Which is an interesting point actually, I must speak with my family's GP about that one.

anyone taking mega doses of niacin should get regular blood test done to check for the effect it is known to have on LIver function.....

As for the assault on Grayling's professionalism... BOLLOX... How dare you?

(says some one who isn't necessarily his biggest fan, but thinks you have gone too far again)
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:05 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you going to retract your previous statement?

You know that is it is untrue from previous past private correspondence, or are conveniently forgetting that to simply dismiss another who disagrees with you?

Where have I 'bolloxed' mindfulness?......don't make things up to suit yourself

Nope. If you can make professional assessments of me on a public forum then I am entitled to question your professionalism.

I said this in post number 594:

You might also want to consider mindfulness
You said this in 596:

Your ramblings are nonsense and not based on any evidence part from your own paranoia.....what you are advocating is unhelpful and dangerous if taken as factual
Go figure.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. If you can make professional assessments of me on a public forum then I am entitled to question your professionalism.

I said this in post number 594:

You said this in 596:

Go figure.
You seem to like making snap judgments about people based on no evidence.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As a passing BE moderator and 'Super ' at that , may I just say that I am putting this thread on notice to possible be closed.

I am not at all keen on the tone and content of some of the posts . It would also seem that Sue's cautionary post is being ignored.

Originally Posted by Sue
I don't see any "passive aggressive behaviour" in this thread. People are just sharing their thoughts and opinions. We ALL have varying degrees of experience in some way or other with this subject, and, as in everyday life, our mileage varies.

There are many ways to look at this issue, so lets not poo poo each others thoughts and opinions. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another, and vice versa. it doesn't make the other person's opinion any less valid though.

This thread isn't just for one person to post in and we are all entitled to share our opinions as long as it's done respectfully.

Thanks
and

1. Personal Attacks
BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.
If the topic cannot be discussed without cheap personal potshots being taken, then that says to me it has probably run it's course.

I will be confurring with Sue/Admin on this as she has already made a post . If it were not so, I would simply close the thing and be done with it.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I will be confurring with Sue/Admin on this as she has already made a post . If it were not so, I would simply close the thing and be done with it.
I've not been posting that long, this time round, but its very noticeable that the Mods have developed 'trigger fingers'. I can only assume that's following guidelines from Admin.

Is the intention to turn the site into a "where can I buy Marmite?" and "will my fridge work in country X" only forum?
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's clearly what some people are hoping for.
Regardless. The thread is now on a notice to close.

Reference
1. Personal Attacks
BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.
I suggest the way forward in the meantime is to heed Sue's cautionary post.

Originally Posted by Sue
There are many ways to look at this issue, so lets not poo poo each others thoughts and opinions. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another, and vice versa. it doesn't make the other person's opinion any less valid though.

This thread isn't just for one person to post in and we are all entitled to share our opinions as long as it's done respectfully.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
I've not been posting that long, this time round, but its very noticeable that the Mods have developed 'trigger fingers'. I can only assume that's following guidelines from Admin.

Is the intention to turn the site into a "where can I buy Marmite?" and "will my fridge work in country X" only forum?
Lets not assume things, as they just make an .... (fill in the blanks )

All BEVS is commenting on is that people have been asked to keep it civil and yet that request seems to be ignored. Nothing new with that request, we've asked it of members for as long as BE has existed ... as you well know.

Many posts in this thread have been reported in the last couple of days, which is why you are seeing a gaggle of us mods all swooping in.

So keep it civil, don't attack each other, but rather share your opinions respectfully and realise we can't all agree.

There is no right or wrong here, and as I've already stated in this thread we don't walk in each others shoes and there is a not a "one size fits all solution."

I will also be completly honest and upfront and say I am not unbiased with regards to this subject having had a family member suffer from depression and consequently after a some unhappy years commit suicide. However I am open to ALL opinions and experiences, as should everyone else.

This thread can stay open, but anymore personal remarks directed at another member will be removed, and if it gets to the point where the personal comments are over taking the thread we will not hesitate to close it.

Bottom line: Keep it on topic, and keep it civil. Do NOT make it personal.

Thank you
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Lets not assume things, as they just make an emu ass
Am I right?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 12:25 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Lets not assume things, as they just make an elegant lady sing
Or this?