Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Comfortably numb......

Comfortably numb......

Old Sep 21st 2013, 9:23 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comfortably numb......

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Now get your head round this one all you sceptics from the spooky thread.....

One time I was here in Hobart with my then "very significant other" back in 2001, he lent me a book he had just read, I was going backpacking in the north and he thought I'd enjoy reading it on my travels. Memoirs of a British general who fought in the Gulf War, not my usual travel book but he raved about it so I gave it a go. Turned out to be fascinating, we talked about it heaps, the guy wrote really well and I was hooked. Meant to buy a copy back home but never got round to it. When Michael passed away all his books went to a local second-hand place, I was told, his friend ddn't know which as the ex-wife had just cleared the place alone.
Coupe of years ago I thought about trying to find the book to re-read it, but couldn't remember the title or the guy's name, though I could see the green cover in my mind. Untraceable so dismissed the idea.

Yesterday I walked into the little secondhand bookshop by my hotel. Face out on the shelf........'the' book. So I dance a little jig, snap it up with a few others, had a closer look at it last night

Its his copy

meant to be
Old Sep 21st 2013, 10:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

meant to be
Guess so! I asked his mate to get it for me at the time, but no joy, can't believe I have it now!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 10:16 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Guess so! I asked his mate to get it for me at the time, but no joy, can't believe I have it now!
How did you find it to be his exact copy?
Old Sep 21st 2013, 10:33 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

How did you find it to be his exact copy?
beer stains on certain pages, a couple of creased corners where he wanted me to read bits, and very un-me cos I don't usually mark books, but the pencil scribble saying "M how did they DO this " in a margin on a turned down page was a giveaway......
Old Sep 21st 2013, 11:31 am

beer stains on certain pages, a couple of creased corners where he wanted me to read bits, and very un-me cos I don't usually mark books, but the pencil scribble saying "M how did they DO this " in a margin on a turned down page was a giveaway......
How long has it been since M passed away?

Strange how these things happen
Old Sep 21st 2013, 12:15 pm
Home and Happy

How long has it been since M passed away?

Strange how these things happen
ten years in three hours time

And I can hear him laughng, saying "you're wondering how did I DO that "
Old Sep 21st 2013, 12:49 pm

ten years in three hours time

And I can hear him laughng, saying "you're wondering how did I DO that "
crikey - what's the chances of a book being in a shop all this time and you finding it ?

Unless it's the only book store in Hobart and it's been closed all this time

meant to be mate
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

crikey - what's the chances of a book being in a shop all this time and you finding it ?

Unless it's the only book store in Hobart and it's been closed all this time

meant to be mate
I've been in there several times, never spotted it before, meant to be as you say! Can't imagine its the shop where it first went either
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 9:49 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Well spooky! I know Hobart is small, but not that small, and the book has been floating around for 10 years since his death

Had another then and another now!
That's mad.

You have to look after it now - and keep it for ever.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
That's mad.

You have to look after it now - and keep it for ever.
Its freaky, I know that. Now has its own little space on the bookshelf next to my tassie travel guides, well weird, but clearly meant to be
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:24 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Its freaky, I know that. Now has its own little space on the bookshelf next to my tassie travel guides, well weird, but clearly meant to be

Tis now in safe hands.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:44 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

Tis now in safe hands.
And he would be tickled pink at the thought, and be laughing his head off
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:49 am
Home and Happy

OMG I've got a stalker

Not a cyber one either, a real one

Wandered down to the post office today, oblivious to anyone around me as usual, ipod in my ears, some random guy said 'hello'but I didn't even realised till he'd gone past.
Come out of the shopping centre, there's the same guy sitting on the wall doing his shoes up, he muttered something about it being a nice day, I just smiled, ipod firmly in ears, walked on.
Went in the pub for a pint (be rude not to when I'm passing it ) sit outside in the breeze, ipod on, ipad out, posting twaddle on BE....and this guy appears AGAIN!
He sat at the next table, about 25 I suppose, faded tshirt, shorts that are too big, scruffy trainers, I just registered him and thought I've seen you before.
Then he only comes over to me, says he's seen me a couple of times today and I must be his sort of person cos of my jewellery Not being one for lots of glittery stuff it consisted of one bead ring, one glass ring and a friendship bracelet of Tibetan beads!! Hardly anything to make me look special!

So he launched into this long one-sided chat about how he could never meet the right people and how was he supposed to find people who shared his interests, and how he was glad he kept bumping into me cos I look like a kindred spirit

He wandered off to have a cigarette so I moved indoors for my second pint Came out and he'd gone, phew, so i went to the bottle shop, stocked up on the cheap wine, came out.....and he's sat outside
Not only that but when my cab turned up he asked if he could have a lift! I said "You don't know where I'm going" he said, "no but I'll pay and I can drop you off on the way to my place, then I'll know!"

In his frickin nightmares he could!!!! At least there were no other cabs so he couldn't get one to follow me

now to get over it!!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:03 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I've got a stalker

Not a cyber one either, a real one

Wandered down to the post office today, oblivious to anyone around me as usual, ipod in my ears, some random guy said 'hello'but I didn't even realised till he'd gone past.
Come out of the shopping centre, there's the same guy sitting on the wall doing his shoes up, he muttered something about it being a nice day, I just smiled, ipod firmly in ears, walked on.
Went in the pub for a pint (be rude not to when I'm passing it ) sit outside in the breeze, ipod on, ipad out, posting twaddle on BE....and this guy appears AGAIN!
He sat at the next table, about 25 I suppose, faded tshirt, shorts that are too big, scruffy trainers, I just registered him and thought I've seen you before.
Then he only comes over to me, says he's seen me a couple of times today and I must be his sort of person cos of my jewellery Not being one for lots of glittery stuff it consisted of one bead ring, one glass ring and a friendship bracelet of Tibetan beads!! Hardly anything to make me look special!

So he launched into this long one-sided chat about how he could never meet the right people and how was he supposed to find people who shared his interests, and how he was glad he kept bumping into me cos I look like a kindred spirit

He wandered off to have a cigarette so I moved indoors for my second pint Came out and he'd gone, phew, so i went to the bottle shop, stocked up on the cheap wine, came out.....and he's sat outside
Not only that but when my cab turned up he asked if he could have a lift! I said "You don't know where I'm going" he said, "no but I'll pay and I can drop you off on the way to my place, then I'll know!"

In his frickin nightmares he could!!!! At least there were no other cabs so he couldn't get one to follow me

now to get over it!!
so is he still tied up in your dungeon then
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:17 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
so is he still tied up in your dungeon then
He didn't come up to a high enough standard, I'm fussy who I lock in my dungeon

He's probably still at the bottle shop, waiting for me to go back for him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.