Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Comfortably numb......

Wikiposts

Comfortably numb......

Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comfortably numb......

Off to Tasmania for 8 days in November, really looking forwards to it.

Hobart is such a great place, not many places that feel as big, where you can walk from bush on one side of the place, to bush on the other.

One observation, people seem to walk so fast there, compared to around here at any rate. We seemed to be average speed walkers there, and people always get in our way here.

Champagne and Oysters eh Half your luck.

Been to the Lark Distillery ?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:57 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Hobart is such a great place, not many places that feel as big, where you can walk from bush on one side of the place, to bush on the other.

One observation, people seem to walk so fast there, compared to around here at any rate. We seemed to be average speed walkers there, and people always get in our way here.

That's cos its bloody cold - they're walking to get into the warmth
Old Sep 19th 2013, 5:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet...... (its on the list after a lovely visit during my last trip!)

Sat watching the Tall Ships at the moment, lovely and warm in the sun butwithout that killer Brisbane heat/humidity, this is far more me!
Attached Thumbnails Comfortably numb......-image.jpg  
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not yet...... (its on the list after a lovely visit during my last trip!)

Sat watching the Tall Ships at the moment, lovely and warm in the sun butwithout that killer Brisbane heat/humidity, this is far more me!
Went for a trip around the estuary on one of those last time we were there, it was a very calm day, so we were lucky to move forward at all once they switched the motor off. Still it was great to look up at the sails and the little bit of billowing they managed.

Been to Mona before or going on this trip, thats still on my list.

It would still be mussel season.... They do great ones at Mures on the harbour, the best I've had outside of Belguim.

Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:36 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Went for a trip around the estuary on one of those last time we were there, it was a very calm day, so we were lucky to move forward at all once they switched the motor off. Still it was great to look up at the sails and the little bit of billowing they managed.

Been to Mona before or going on this trip, thats still on my list.

It would still be mussel season.... They do great ones at Mures on the harbour, the best I've had outside of Belguim.

Did Mures oysters today, might be tempted with mussels tomorrow, lovely restaurant
Larks has now been visited and got my apple brandy
I was tempted to do Mona but I'm only here till Sunday lunchtime and I want to do Salamanca tomorrow for the market so Mona is back on hold till next time so I can really do it justice. Lots of licals raving about it and reckon its worth a long visit.
The other trip thats worth it is Peppermint Bay, get the boat down there and shop there for all their ingredients they use in the restaurant! The full day thing with dinner is pricey but theres a halfday with a fab lunch on board ( that was my first ever oyster encounter!) and some stunning scenery
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:08 pm
Home and Happy

80,000........and posted from Paradise Island too

Off to play at the markets.......someone else can run the place for a while now

Attached Thumbnails Comfortably numb......-image.jpg  
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:10 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

80,000........and posted from Paradise Island too

Off to play at the markets.......someone else can run the place for a while now

Congratulations (but probably still a thousand behind Bob )

Have a good day
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:28 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Congratulations (but probably still a thousand behind Bob )

Have a good day
Only just, I have gained on him lately

Still a good milestone though, and glad I made it in Hobart, the place that I first visited in Aus, that was back in April 1999. a lifetime ago........
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:32 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Only just, I have gained on him lately

Still a good milestone though, and glad I made it in Hobart, the place that I first visited in Aus, that was back in April 1999. a lifetime ago........

Did you have a good day at the markets? Hope you've had some nice weather
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:44 pm
Home and Happy

Did you have a good day at the markets? Hope you've had some nice weather
Sat in a pub at the market now, bought far too much again but I just got upgraded for the return flight sothat takes care of the baggage

I just adore Tasmanian wood products, I also like a lot of their pepper and fruit relishes and liqueurs so I knew I'd blow the budget! And I needed a new fleee, and woolly socks for work, and when I found the purple ipad sized handbag it was goodbye credit card

Weather is gorgeous, around 20-22 in the sun, nice little breeze, standard Hobart forecast "chance of a late shower" We alwaysswor they just put that in to cover hemselves as they never define "late"
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:47 pm

Sat in a pub at the market now, bought far too much again but I just got upgraded for the return flight sothat takes care of the baggage

I just adore Tasmanian wood products, I also like a lot of their pepper and fruit relishes and liqueurs so I knew I'd blow the budget! And I needed a new fleee, and woolly socks for work, and when I found the purple ipad sized handbag it was goodbye credit card

Weather is gorgeous, around 20-22 in the sun, nice little breeze, standard Hobart forecast "chance of a late shower" We alwaysswor they just put that in to cover hemselves as they never define "late"
I'm sure the new fleece and wool socks are necessary for the trip north too - so they could be classed as a necessity - and everyone needs relishes - so the only real treat is the handbag - sorted
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:58 pm
Home and Happy

Now get your head round this one all you sceptics from the spooky thread.....

One time I was here in Hobart with my then "very significant other" back in 2001, he lent me a book he had just read, I was going backpacking in the north and he thought I'd enjoy reading it on my travels. Memoirs of a British general who fought in the Gulf War, not my usual travel book but he raved about it so I gave it a go. Turned out to be fascinating, we talked about it heaps, the guy wrote really well and I was hooked. Meant to buy a copy back home but never got round to it. When Michael passed away all his books went to a local second-hand place, I was told, his friend ddn't know which as the ex-wife had just cleared the place alone.
Coupe of years ago I thought about trying to find the book to re-read it, but couldn't remember the title or the guy's name, though I could see the green cover in my mind. Untraceable so dismissed the idea.

Yesterday I walked into the little secondhand bookshop by my hotel. Face out on the shelf........'the' book. So I dance a little jig, snap it up with a few others, had a closer look at it last night

Its his copy.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 5:02 pm
Home and Happy

I'm sure the new fleece and wool socks are necessary for the trip north too - so they could be classed as a necessity - and everyone needs relishes - so the only real treat is the handbag - sorted
Yep. my old fleece is seriously worn now and can be relegated to the locker for work use only Socks for the UK, naturally, purple merino wool
And you're right, I need to eat and should restock every so often!

Handbag....yeah its a serious luxury but it does shoulderbag and converts to a wee backpack and is a lovely soft purple leather
Old Sep 20th 2013, 5:05 pm

Now get your head round this one all you sceptics from the spooky thread.....

One time I was here in Hobart with my then "very significant other" back in 2001, he lent me a book he had just read, I was going backpacking in the north and he thought I'd enjoy reading it on my travels. Memoirs of a British general who fought in the Gulf War, not my usual travel book but he raved about it so I gave it a go. Turned out to be fascinating, we talked about it heaps, the guy wrote really well and I was hooked. Meant to buy a copy back home but never got round to it. When Michael passed away all his books went to a local second-hand place, I was told, his friend ddn't know which as the ex-wife had just cleared the place alone.
Coupe of years ago I thought about trying to find the book to re-read it, but couldn't remember the title or the guy's name, though I could see the green cover in my mind. Untraceable so dismissed the idea.

Yesterday I walked into the little secondhand bookshop by my hotel. Face out on the shelf........'the' book. So I dance a little jig, snap it up with a few others, had a closer look at it last night

Its his copy.
Spooky - better have another
Old Sep 20th 2013, 5:07 pm
Home and Happy

Spooky - better have another
Well spooky! I know Hobart is small, but not that small, and the book has been floating around for 10 years since his death

Had another then and another now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.