Australia's burning

Old Dec 20th 2019, 1:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's burning

Very sad news overnight - RIP heroes

Tomorrow morning we'll be taking some beer, wine, soft drinks and snacks to the volunteer fire fighters up at Kalamunda fire station. We couldn't live where we do without them

Last edited by Amazulu; Dec 20th 2019 at 2:22 am.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 1:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Tomorrow morning we'll be taking some beer, wine, soft drinks and snacks up to the volunteer fire fighters up at Kalamunda fire station. We couldn't live where we do without them

Old Dec 20th 2019, 2:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Tomorrow morning we'll be taking some beer, wine, soft drinks and snacks to the volunteer fire fighters up at Kalamunda fire station. We couldn't live where we do without them
A lovely thing to do, I'm sure they'll appreciate it
Old Dec 20th 2019, 7:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I bet it did. I imagine those tanks are swimming in bacteria (or more correctly, bacteria are swimming in those tanks!).
The husband climbs in and cleans the bottom every time ours has run dry. This last time there was very little there. The filters and downpours are cleaned regularly. The water out of the tank is miles nicer than the town water. Indi the cat in charge won't drink town water until it's been boiled and cooled. Tank water gets her immediate seal of approval.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 8:30 am
`

Originally Posted by Shard
I bet it did. I imagine those tanks are swimming in bacteria (or more correctly, bacteria are swimming in those tanks!).
No.Not really.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Reading through this and contemplating.
We were thinking of visiting October/November 2020 but it looks as though the fire season in a bad year begins around the start of November.
Is September/October a better time?
Looking at Sydney, Blue Mountains, Tasmania, Melbourne and Canberra in the plan.
Melbourne and Canberra we haven't visited before.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 6:55 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Reading through this and contemplating.
We were thinking of visiting October/November 2020 but it looks as though the fire season in a bad year begins around the start of November.
Is September/October a better time?
Looking at Sydney, Blue Mountains, Tasmania, Melbourne and Canberra in the plan.
Melbourne and Canberra we haven't visited before.
Fire season this year started in August on the East coast of Australia. I seem to recall that there were already significant numbers of fires burning by September last year too.

All you can do is be prepared for the worst - be flexible with plans where you can, have good travel insurance, take notice of local fire information when you're here - and hope for the best!
Old Dec 20th 2019, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Sad to see my home town has now been affected by fires in South Oz.Evacuation in process.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 4:22 am
`

It isn't getting any better sadly.

Victoria bushfires: thousands told to evacuate vasteast Gippsland fire threat zone.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 9:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a bit on the BBC this morning about cancelling the New Years event in Sydney and sending the money on the firefighting, but as the Sydney authorities said, the money is already spent, yes more money for firefighting, but let the celebrations go on, there isn't a lot to celebrate in the area at the moment. Stay safe everyone.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 1:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Quite a bit on the BBC this morning about cancelling the New Years event in Sydney and sending the money on the firefighting, but as the Sydney authorities said, the money is already spent, yes more money for firefighting, but let the celebrations go on, there isn't a lot to celebrate in the area at the moment. Stay safe everyone.
Truth be told Mike the Sydney fireworks attract criticism every year, primarily due to the cost. The counter-argument is usually that tourist dollars outweigh the cost.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
My grandkids were down there with their mum. The plan had been to head back via Goongerah and Cabanandra where they used to live and where they have friends and family - before they got totally burned out 5 years ago. Deja vue for them. Their great uncle lives there and isn't evacuating so I hope he makes it. The girls left Yesterday afternoon and are now back in Canberra but my son had a lot of persuading to do.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 7:05 pm
`

Originally Posted by quoll
My grandkids were down there with their mum. The plan had been to head back via Goongerah and Cabanandra where they used to live and where they have friends and family - before they got totally burned out 5 years ago. Deja vue for them. Their great uncle lives there and isn't evacuating so I hope he makes it. The girls left Yesterday afternoon and are now back in Canberra but my son had a lot of persuading to do.
Bah! Hate all this for people.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 7:13 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by quoll
Grr, people shouldn't need to be persuaded to leave an area under imminent threat. I'm glad your grandkids are safe quoll.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Grr, people shouldn't need to be persuaded to leave an area under imminent threat. I'm glad your grandkids are safe quoll.
Thanks! Me too.
They were in Marlo but their usual plan is Cabanandra for New Year - their mum's birthday with the extended family. Marlo is probably very safe but once the roads get closed there's no telling how long they'd be stuck there for. At least they had all evacuated the year they burned out and in hindsight my son is very grateful for that. Apparently there was one chap who stayed to fight and he had a wealth of experience and machinery available but apparently he's been totally screwed up with PTSD ever since and his family have really suffered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.