Australia's burning

Old Nov 20th 2019, 9:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's burning

Originally Posted by Shard
Certainly less elbow room in the UK.

General Australia question to the thread: why did Sydney and the East Coast become the first developed region? When Britain was 'colonising' Oz, surely it would be faster for ships to dock in Perth or somewhere on the West Coast (particularly considering the 'cargo')?
This is quite a good potted history of European and British expeditions to Australia. https://www.britannica.com/place/Australia/History
Old Nov 20th 2019, 9:32 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Hope everyone is staying safe! Been following on the news. No fires here but we have a catastrophic warning for tomorrow
Hope you are still OK Clacfart, it's looking bad down there today.

I know it's all relative but Sydney's smoke today is evil. I am due to go to a party at a bowling club and really questioning the wisdom of that (on more than one level, but there you go).
Old Nov 21st 2019, 2:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It all looks dreadful to me.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Hope you are still OK Clacfart, it's looking bad down there today.

I know it's all relative but Sydney's smoke today is evil. I am due to go to a party at a bowling club and really questioning the wisdom of that (on more than one level, but there you go).
It was pretty bad yesterday, quite a few fires near the surrounding areas. Fire crews are amazing though and had them contained! Much cooler today.

How's everyone else going? Heard it's pretty Smokey over in Sydney xxx
Old Nov 21st 2019, 6:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

But it's all ok because cricket.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 9:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

All over the TV yesterday and today id the woman rescuing a Koala from a burning tree, the rescue was on last night (UK time) and a follow up this morning from the rescue center the Koala was taken to.
Am I being a bit cynical to say if the woman hadn't stripped off her shirt to wrap the Koala in it might NOT have been such news, (she did have a bra on)

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/watc...4?ndtv_related
Old Nov 21st 2019, 9:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
All over the TV yesterday and today id the woman rescuing a Koala from a burning tree, the rescue was on last night (UK time) and a follow up this morning from the rescue center the Koala was taken to.
Am I being a bit cynical to say if the woman hadn't stripped off her shirt to wrap the Koala in it might NOT have been such news, (she did have a bra on)

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/watc...4?ndtv_related
Yes I think you are. We've lost so many animals in these fires, it's actually a really good feeling to see one get saved. I've watched it a few times and honestly hadn't noticed until you mentioned it that she had taken her shirt off. Disclaimer: I'm a straight female so......
Old Nov 21st 2019, 10:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yes I think you are. We've lost so many animals in these fires, it's actually a really good feeling to see one get saved. I've watched it a few times and honestly hadn't noticed until you mentioned it that she had taken her shirt off. Disclaimer: I'm a straight female so......
Apart from being a very good deed I think it's a brave person who exposes any flesh to an animal that is (potentially) crazed with fear & pain.

Bravo that lady (pun intended!).
Old Nov 21st 2019, 12:49 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But it's all ok because cricket.
Not a bad day at The Gabba today actually after a slow start, could be a low scoring thriller. The venue is a dump though, desperately needs work that won’t be covered by the planned superficial turd polishing exercise.

Sorry, thought this was the cricket thread.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't remember anyone here saying they're going home solely due to the weather.
I met a family in Sydney a few years ago, who were going back to the UK, as it was too hot for them.

And that was literally the only reason they were leaving.

I suggested they move somewhere colder like Melbourne or Tasmania, but they said those places were still too warm.

Old Nov 30th 2019, 2:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess
I met a family in Sydney a few years ago, who were going back to the UK, as it was too hot for them.

And that was literally the only reason they were leaving.

I suggested they move somewhere colder like Melbourne or Tasmania, but they said those places were still too warm.
Tasmania was too warm for them? With an average maximum temperature in summer across the island of 17 - 23C, and the thermometer struggling to reach 13C in winter? They must really love extra cold weather! I have to wonder if they did any research at all on Australia's weather before they moved over.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 30th 2019 at 2:30 am.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I have to wonder if they did any research at all on Australia's weather before they moved over.

Yes. I wondered that too

I should have asked them

Old Dec 6th 2019, 12:31 am
Concierge

It's bad again/still

About 100 bushfires are raging in the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW), with the most severe burning on the outskirts of Sydney.

More than 2,000 firefighters are battling huge blazes, which escalated in intensity late on Thursday.

Footage of one blaze on the southern fringe of the city showed firefighters fleeing as flames surged forward.

Australia's largest city has been blanketed by thick smoke all week, causing a rise in medical problems.

Since October, bushfires have killed six people and destroyed more than 700 homes across Australia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50680083
Old Dec 6th 2019, 12:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know. I was just reading about that.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 8:27 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, we check the firesnearme app regularly throughout the day, but we tend to concentrate on our immediate surroundings. Last night, I scrolled out to see the whole of NSW. Absolutely terrifying to think about how much has burned, and how much is still burning.... and we're 7 days into summer.

These photos are from the app this morning. The first is an overall look at the fires burning, the second and third are zoomed in on the two worst areas - the greyed areas are the extent of the fire fields. Blue diamonds are advice, Yellow are Watch and Act - fortunately there are currently no Red diamonds- Emergency (LEAVE NOW!!!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.