Australia's burning

Old Dec 13th 2019, 4:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's burning

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Got 50mm here but the ground is so hard it had all run off by the morning.Lovely as it was, we still need much more more and there's no sign of that yet.
That's the problem isn't it Polly, the earth is packed so hard that nothing but long, soaking rains will penetrate. Please Hughie, send 'er down!
Old Dec 13th 2019, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Hope you get plenty more Kim.
Thank you. We had another good storm this afternoon. Hopefully more to come tonight.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Got 50mm here but the ground is so hard it had all run off by the morning.Lovely as it was, we still need much more more and there's no sign of that yet.
Our garden soaked it all up.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 9:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Our garden soaked it all up.
Excellent! Some of it seems to have soaked in from today's downpour, which is good.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 9:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Had some lovely rain in SE Qld night before last, over 100mm in one hour. More to come this afternoon hopefully. I hope the whole country gets a good soaking soon.
That one missed us. We did have a 10 minute downpour this afternoon though which did precisely nothing although it smelled lovely.

When we bought this house, summer of 05 we were going through a long long drought and everyone, including the tank company thought we were mad to put in a 25000 litre tank. I wanted to put in two but leveling a section big enough to put two in was silly money and I was laughed at for suggesting it. Three weeks after putting it in, the drought broke and the tank has probably run dry three times in the past 15 years. Each time until now it was dry for at most a week before the rain fell. So far we've been back on town water for six weeks this time and whilst we hate it, the smell, taste, feel is just not the same as rain water, we know we're incredibly lucky to be able to turn town water on. Most people on tank water are completely off the grid when it comes to water and don't have the luxury we have.

For someone who claims to know the country to suggest people aren't prudently stock piling water is truly offensive. Our neighbours who have dams, have had no water in them for over five years now. Luckily they don't need them for livestock.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Excellent! Some of it seems to have soaked in from today's downpour, which is good.

That's good news. Big hail out west. Hopefully Cresta and the gang got some nice rain with no damage.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That one missed us. We did have a 10 minute downpour this afternoon though which did precisely nothing although it smelled lovely.

When we bought this house, summer of 05 we were going through a long long drought and everyone, including the tank company thought we were mad to put in a 25000 litre tank. I wanted to put in two but leveling a section big enough to put two in was silly money and I was laughed at for suggesting it. Three weeks after putting it in, the drought broke and the tank has probably run dry three times in the past 15 years. Each time until now it was dry for at most a week before the rain fell. So far we've been back on town water for six weeks this time and whilst we hate it, the smell, taste, feel is just not the same as rain water, we know we're incredibly lucky to be able to turn town water on. Most people on tank water are completely off the grid when it comes to water and don't have the luxury we have.

For someone who claims to know the country to suggest people aren't prudently stock piling water is truly offensive. Our neighbours who have dams, have had no water in them for over five years now. Luckily they don't need them for livestock.
Rain water from a galvanised tank is the best. We had a 100,000 litre tank at our property in WA. Cups of tea tasted like heaven. I couldn't drink tea at work when we lived there because town water tasted like poison.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 9:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That's good news. Big hail out west. Hopefully Cresta and the gang got some nice rain with no damage.
Some stunning hail up that way yesterday, larger than cricket balls!
Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:58 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Rain water from a galvanised tank is the best. We had a 100,000 litre tank at our property in WA. Cups of tea tasted like heaven. I couldn't drink tea at work when we lived there because town water tasted like poison.
How old/dated is the water from the tank when it gets near to the end? Do you need to treat it to avoid any impurities etc?
Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Shard
How old/dated is the water from the tank when it gets near to the end? Do you need to treat it to avoid any impurities etc?
We have two large tanks. They are concrete. Just ensure only water gets into them. We do have a water filter for the potable tap in the kitchen. That is about it I think.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I would think so. When I was very young, one of our 5000-gallon tanks ran dry, and Dad took the opportunity to clean it out. I have a recollection of some leaves and dried-up gunk at the bottom, and one long-dead frog. (The frog is what made an impression on my mind, at that age!)
Old Dec 19th 2019, 11:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So very sad to hear about the three firefighters who were badly burned in NSW while they were battling a fire yesterday, and the road accident that killed two firefighters and injured another three.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 11:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I would think so. When I was very young, one of our 5000-gallon tanks ran dry, and Dad took the opportunity to clean it out. I have a recollection of some leaves and dried-up gunk at the bottom, and one long-dead frog. (The frog is what made an impression on my mind, at that age!)
I bet it did. I imagine those tanks are swimming in bacteria (or more correctly, bacteria are swimming in those tanks!).
Old Dec 19th 2019, 11:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
So very sad to hear about the three firefighters who were badly burned in NSW while they were battling a fire yesterday, and the road accident that killed two firefighters and injured another three.
How very horrible and sad.
Please let there be no more of this. Please.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Smoke haze from NSW is now down as far as Melbourne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.