Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

hannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

and heres me worrying i will be the fattest bird in perth! thought the aussies were all slim and brown........so now i shall not worry about my wobbly belly and order a pizza! thanks guys
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:10 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hannah1202
and heres me worrying i will be the fattest bird in perth! thought the aussies were all slim and brown........so now i shall not worry about my wobbly belly and order a pizza! thanks guys
You kidding, I have never seen so many fat people as I have in Perth, the beach sometimes looks like a load of whales have beached themselves
I have noticed that the kids over here are definatly fatter than their British counterparts though.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:14 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=london52;7428245]You kidding, I have never seen so many fat people as I have in Perth, the beach sometimes looks like a load of whales have beached themselves
I have noticed that the kids over here are definatly fatter than their British counterparts though.[/QUOTE

I agree, i couldn't believe it at first when we came over here, some of the aussies are the size of a house, ive never seen such oversized clothing in the shops as here.

Im a size 10 and always worried in the uk about getting any bigger than that for god sake!

Came here and thought wtf
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
You kidding, I have never seen so many fat people as I have in Perth, the beach sometimes looks like a load of whales have beached themselves
I have noticed that the kids over here are definatly fatter than their British counterparts though.
In my kids school here versus my kids school in the UK the proportion in the UK was WAY higher. There are plenty of fat people around for sure, me being one of them but it is comparable with my old area in the UK around Peterborough and Huntingdon.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:19 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=scottishcelts;7428248]
I have noticed that the kids over here are definatly fatter than their British counterparts though.[/QUOTE

I agree, i couldn't believe it at first when we came over here, some of the aussies are the size of a house, ive never seen such oversized clothing in the shops as here.

Im a size 10 and always worried in the uk about getting any bigger than that for god sake!

Came here and thought wtf
That is a shock isn’t it, I was under the impression that the Aussies were really into sports and a healthy lifestyle, but in Perth there is a fast food outlet on nearly every corner which I must admit is very tempting after leaving work at 6 and finding all the bloody shops closed.
Yes…they are a fatter nation than the UK, we all moan about the “nanny state” in the UK and Jamie Oliver promoting healthy eating but maybe it is starting to show results.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:29 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=london52;7428259]
Originally Posted by scottishcelts

That is a shock isn’t it, I was under the impression that the Aussies were really into sports and a healthy lifestyle, but in Perth there is a fast food outlet on nearly every corner which I must admit is very tempting after leaving work at 6 and finding all the bloody shops closed.
Yes…they are a fatter nation than the UK, we all moan about the “nanny state” in the UK and Jamie Oliver promoting healthy eating but maybe it is starting to show results.
So was i, all the sports and surf dude's & beachy lifestyle - i thought the aussies would all be super fit and slim.

The junk food joints are outrageous,they are everywhere and surprise surprise it's all the humongous aussies sitting outside them munching away on crap and donuts. They obviously have no will power at all!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BenandPam
So I have been wondering, given that the sports facilities in Australia are plentiful across a wide variety of sports, and the weather doesn't prevent people from taking part in sport, why is there such a high rate of obesity here ?
Australia defines itself by it's sporting triumphs, yet it ranks as one of the most obese nations on Earth, along with the USA (who also take sport very seriously). The sad thing is that good quality food is easily available in Australia, with good markets, fruit and veg shops and decent butchers, yet clearly the vast majority of the population choose to eat crap. It seems a lot of Australians choose to work hard and then not bother playing at all.
Thoughts ?
This made me laugh. I moved to Perth in November and have been amazed how many large people are waddling around. It is as bad, if not worse, than the UK. I adds to the conclusion I have already come up with that, for all the talk of a great outdoor lifestyle, the majority of Australians like to sit indoors with takeaways and beer, their idea of sport is watching AFL and the only time they go outdoors is to get something oof the barbie.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Where are all these fatties then? i don't see many around Perth, get the occasional few when I venture into the suburbs but on the whole i don't believe these statistics unless there's some secret fatty state they keep everyone away from. Same goes for Syd, Bris and Melb where i've spent some time, see far more people in good shape than fat. Nothing like the UK where every second person is a porker.

What??? Walk round the Perth CBD anyday, or any shopping mall, and you can't miss them. I find it much worse than the UK. It really surprised me when I first came over 2 years ago and was confirmed when I moved here.

I'm not surprised now though and it isn't just a junk food issue, although that makes it worse. Because of the lack of alternatives, every social occasion seems to involve far too much food and booze.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
In my kids school here versus my kids school in the UK the proportion in the UK was WAY higher. There are plenty of fat people around for sure, me being one of them but it is comparable with my old area in the UK around Peterborough and Huntingdon.
The UK media always used to report the massive obesity problem there and yet if I looked at all the people I worked with, all the people I went out with, the kids on the street etc, hardly any were obese.

Whenever we went out in Derby I always thought the problem existed much more in the young male population than the young female population, there were so many slim young girls/women around. I don't see that here, there seem to be very few "slim" people about, male or female.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spilko
The UK media always used to report the massive obesity problem there and yet if I looked at all the people I worked with, all the people I went out with, the kids on the street etc, hardly any were obese.

Whenever we went out in Derby I always thought the problem existed much more in the young male population than the young female population, there were so many slim young girls/women around. I don't see that here, there seem to be very few "slim" people about, male or female.
with the irrefutable scientific evidence you present it is hard to summon an arguement
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:29 pm
Banned

I hate PC but I do believe that the problems of junk food are not highlighted in Australia...why is there so many fast food outlets in Australia? it isn’t rocket science…there are so many fast food outlets because they are all doing a roaring trade.
I myself use them as I am to lazy to cook for myself but I have put on a stone since I have been here and it is not my fault.
Penlile dysfunction seems to be a more pressing matter.

Last edited by london52; Mar 28th 2009 at 12:31 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate PC but I do believe that the problems of junk food are not highlighted in Australia...why is there so many fast food outlets in Australia? it isn’t rocket science…there are so many fast food outlets because they are all doing a roaring trade.
I myself use them as I am to lazy to cook for myself but I have put on a stone since I have been here and it is not my fault.
Penlile dysfunction seems to be a more pressing matter.
there is stiff competition to sell nasal delivery technology.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I feel it must be demographic or confined to certain problem areas of the UK - because if memory serves, poorer UK people of my youth tended to be fairly scrawny if anything. Aren't chavs generally quite skinny?

I would generally say that suburban and country Australians are obese or overweight.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

II myself use them as I am to lazy to cook for myself but I have put on a stone since I have been here and it is not my fault.

It never is, is it!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
It never is, is it!
I've gained 3-4kilos in 6 weeks when I started training specifically before Christmas! In some ways I am as fit as I have ever been.

To be specific, for me it is not the car culture or suburbia that causes obesity itself. It is the attitude created by the car-culture and suburban culture. I drive everywhere and I am not obese.

It is also genetic and a self-fulfilling prophecy. People who live near the city, or indeed elsewhere, tend to be professionals, and having different attitudes to health and wellbeing, tend to pass on better genetic material to their children. They tend to attract partners who are slimmer, and with the will too remain that way too. If you are the son or daughter of a someone who has never exercised and is overweight because all attempts failed then you may well be the same as the dice is loaded against you. This is not extreme view talk this is reality.

In country, I have even heard that men want to be overweight because it makes them look like they can take care of themselves. I think it is also one of the reasons why the beard is so popular; why look like a middle-aged slob when you can look like a biker and at least have some cred amongst your 'chopper' DVD loving mates. In the UK there were always blokes proud of their beer bellies.

I would rather be fit and lean. I would prefer to have a little bit of muscle but not too much!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 28th 2009 at 10:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.