Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

So I have been wondering, given that the sports facilities in Australia are plentiful across a wide variety of sports, and the weather doesn't prevent people from taking part in sport, why is there such a high rate of obesity here ?
Australia defines itself by it's sporting triumphs, yet it ranks as one of the most obese nations on Earth, along with the USA (who also take sport very seriously). The sad thing is that good quality food is easily available in Australia, with good markets, fruit and veg shops and decent butchers, yet clearly the vast majority of the population choose to eat crap. It seems a lot of Australians choose to work hard and then not bother playing at all.
Thoughts ?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Fat people don't play sport.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:07 pm
ABCDiamond

BMI does not account for those with high body mass due to muscle rather than fat.
ie: A very fit and muscular person, could be classed as obese, due to muscle mass rather than fat mass.

However, some info on Obesity:

Obesity is caused by an energy imbalance where energy intake exceeds energy expended over time.

This imbalance has been linked to lifestyle factors such as increased consumption of foods with high levels of sugar and saturated fats, as well as a reduction in physical activity.

The rate of obese adults has increased from 12% in 1995 to 18% in 2004-05.

About 25% of the 45-54 year olds are obese
compared to only 7% of the 18-24 year olds
and about 17% of the 25-34 yera old group

How much does education come into it ?
Rate of obesity by education level
12.9% Degree/diploma or higher qualification
19.3% Other qualification
20.4% No non-school qualification

Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
yet it ranks as one of the most obese nations on Earth, along with the USA
And the UK.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:16 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Because aussies can eat drink and talk shit,all at the same time
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:19 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And the UK.
Yes, but Aussie's all lead fabulous outdoor lifestyles, don't sit at home watching Corrie and Eastenders AND don't eat any processed ready meals, instead cooking freshly prepared meals every night........or so I'm told!

So what's their excuse?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Something I read on a sport forum is:
Hence, most weightlifters (and AFL players etc) would be considered obese according to BMI
and Arnold Schwarzenegger was classed as obese even back in 2004, just to give an example of how the BMI system works.

Therefore, the larger the number of fit sportspeople can exaggerate the number of obese people in a country.

Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld

So what's their excuse?
Being too fit and muscly

Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

A day on the beach can be a scary time for those of a nervous disposition

I thought it was Whale watching season one day last week.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Cause aussies lie on the couch with pizza and beer and watch sport, most dont actually do any.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:50 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You're kidding right? Have you seen the size of the chocolate bars here (and in NZ)?

When we first arrived in NZ we thought they were joke bars- pakn'save sold them for $1.98 and they were the size of my youngest daughter (almost). We struggled to spend less than $250 per week to feed a family of four on healthy home cooked food and yet 2 bars of that chocolate would surely cover a kid's weekly calorific needs ....

The number of families I'd be stood behind with a trolley loaded up with chicken, chips and chocolate........ and a pineapple

Sport's a tricky one because as soon as a kid is a shade over weight their sport enjoyment is reduced and there's the slippery slope.

I struggle with my weight but I've always thought it really, really negligent to let your kids become overweight. I'm sorry if this causes offence but I hate seeing overweight kids struggling to keep up on sports days and swim pools and it is so avoidable in kids
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:05 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

And of course everyone that replied to this thread is a candidate for slimmer of the year.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Where are all these fatties then? i don't see many around Perth, get the occasional few when I venture into the suburbs but on the whole i don't believe these statistics unless there's some secret fatty state they keep everyone away from. Same goes for Syd, Bris and Melb where i've spent some time, see far more people in good shape than fat. Nothing like the UK where every second person is a porker.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jimbo_d;7424062]Where are all these fatties then? i don't see many around Perth, get the occasional few when I venture into the suburbs . . . QUOTE]

In the suburbs eating cream cakes . . .
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
ie: A very fit and muscular person, could be classed as obese, due to muscle mass rather than fat mass.

[/INDENT]
That's what I think when I see the Miss Piggies waddling along Queen Street ...my you have a lot of muscle mass

Gosh you are very good at googling information aren't you? (re the rest of your post)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.