Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:34 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all
Default Re: Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Originally Posted by kporte
This is probably true in regard to fast food outlets but UK supermarkets are filled with junk food. some 40% of your british store is pre packed crap.
people in glass houses.... The Uk obesity levels are appalling too.
It is a problem every 1st world nation faces and anybody from the UK slagging off the US or Aus, is at best, naive.
Australia is far fatter then the UK walk around and open your eyes and only a liar would deny it, and pre packed food in the UK is not like the pre-packed junk over here I should now...I buy it
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:37 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
Australia is far fatter then the UK walk around and open your eyes and only a liar would deny it, and pre packed food in the UK is not like the pre-packed junk over here I should now...I buy it
there are no where near as many ready meals in the freezer sections of Aussie supermarkets as there are in your average supermarket in the UK.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:40 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

what I will say against the Aussies though is that they have access to a larger amount of fresh exotic fruit & veg that Brits generally only get to buy for about 6 weeks of the year, so I would say that I think more healthy food is more easily accessible than in the UK
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

prove this please.
there is far more pre packed super market food here, as everyone will tell you.
only a liar will deny it? stop talking nonsense mate, that is no arguement outside primary school
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Might be a bigger and better selection, however, does not mean more is eaten! Why are Australians bigger then?
It's not just about food choices. A lot of Australians will make even the shortest of journeys by car. Children are ferried everywhere by car. But to be fair, a lot of the problem lies with the planners and developers of some of those sprawling outer suburbs that you see in every Australian city. They are so spread out that you cannot walk to the shops or public transport easily, you literally have to get in your car to go anywhere. Some places don't even have a pavement to walk on. And the people who settle in these suburbs are predominately families. And because of this demographic, before you know it, there's a Macca's, KFC and Pizza Hut opening up.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:53 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I can only comment on my own area here versus my old UK area. I am by far the fattest mum in my school, in the UK there were women much heavier than me.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
It's not just about food choices. A lot of Australians will make even the shortest of journeys by car. Children are ferried everywhere by car. But to be fair, a lot of the problem lies with the planners and developers of some of those sprawling outer suburbs that you see in every Australian city. They are so spread out that you cannot walk to the shops or public transport easily, you literally have to get in your car to go anywhere. Some places don't even have a pavement to walk on. And the people who settle in these suburbs are predominately families. And because of this demographic, before you know it, there's a Macca's, KFC and Pizza Hut opening up.
This is quite accurate, definitely towns designed around cars. The Uk is heading in the same direction with every new shopping centre.
It is up to people to get up off the sofa by their own will as everything seems to be heading in this direction. Modern life is turning the 1st world into Lardasses tbh
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:06 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
So true!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:12 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
there are no where near as many ready meals in the freezer sections of Aussie supermarkets as there are in your average supermarket in the UK.
only because they cannot compete with the vast numbers of fast food outlets outside their doors.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

only because they cannot compete with the vast numbers of fast food outlets outside their doors.
or vice versa in the uk?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by northernbird
I can only comment on my own area here versus my old UK area. I am by far the fattest mum in my school, in the UK there were women much heavier than me.
How many kids in the school
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
or vice versa in the uk?
Oz has at least 2 times as many fast food outlets per head as the UK.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

and the uk has supermarkets that far exceed this ratio, all stocked to the gunwhales with junk food
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

How many kids in the school
500 kids in our school here, 350 in our UK school. I can count on 2 hands the number of fat mums I see at school here.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:19 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

again not sure on the validity of that. I would agree that Oz has far more franchises and chains but not necessarily so many outlets. There are so many greasy spoon cafes or independent chip shops or kebab shops in the UK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.