Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:04 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Originally Posted by kporte
Actually, you will die if you do not eat
Ha ha - you don't have to eat ALL day to survive - some people manage very well on 3 small meals a day and no eating in between and manage to stay a nice trim size.

I see people walking around stuffing their faces and i think 'no wonder you are the size you are'
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Ha ha - you don't have to eat ALL day to survive - some people manage very well on 3 small meals a day and no eating in between and manage to stay a nice trim size.
Yes I do, I'm a Panda.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
And what about that abhorrant show "The Biggest Loser"? They're crash dieting a bunch of morbidly obese people for our titilation, despite all the best evidence showing that rapid weight loss is the most unsafe and most likely to lead to (and some) of the weight lost.
I know . . . its brilliant isn't it!

How we laugh, in our house, at their cack-handed efforts at exercising. But then they go and spoil it by loosing loads of weight and actually get super fit.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:10 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus

How we laugh, in our house, at their cack-handed efforts at exercising. But then they go and spoil it by loosing loads of weight and actually get super fit.
Really - they get super fit? First i've heard of it, but i've not watched the programme - might do!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:10 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

And what about that abhorrant show "The Biggest Loser"? They're crash dieting a bunch of morbidly obese people for our titilation, despite all the best evidence showing that rapid weight loss is the most unsafe and most likely to lead to (and some) of the weight lost.
My kids like watching that show. I don't understand why because their weights are ideal.

I find the NZ show to be better because the contestants were mostly "averagely" obese and more sustainable exercise/diet regimes are encouraged. The US contestants are enormous!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus

I think the viewers are split. Some are inspired by the contestants efforts and some want to laugh at fat people
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Really - they get super fit? First i've heard of it, but i've not watched the programme - might do!
Absofurkinlutely.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
I think the viewers are split. Some are inspired by the contestants efforts and some want to laugh at fat people
Is it possible to have a foot in both camps or, given the context, a hand in both biscuit barrels?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
Britain, the USA and Australia constantly feature at the top of 'world's fattest countries' lists, so I think it is extremely unfair to have a go at Australia when Britain is no better.

Also, keep in mind that countries like India are full of morbidly obese middle and upper classes - they would top the list if they didn't have such a big problem with poverty.

But new attitudes in Australia are not helping. Calling 'large' clothing brands things like 'Real Woman' and 'Today's Woman' are helping to promote obesity as a perfectly acceptable lifestyle choice.
Compare and contrast the weather and sports facilities in the UK and Australia, and I am struggling to understand why Australia is even included in the conversation about obese population.
Given that one of the reasons a lot of expats come here is for a more active "outdoors" lifestyle, I know I was very surprised to hear that Australia's population suffers from the same weight problems as the UK and USA. Clearly it is possible to eat a cr*p diet in any country, but in Australia there is plenty of opportunity to burn it off all year round. So, why don't people here take that opportunity ?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 5:37 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Compare and contrast the weather and sports facilities in the UK and Australia, and I am struggling to understand why Australia is even included in the conversation about obese population.
Given that one of the reasons a lot of expats come here is for a more active "outdoors" lifestyle, I know I was very surprised to hear that Australia's population suffers from the same weight problems as the UK and USA. Clearly it is possible to eat a cr*p diet in any country, but in Australia there is plenty of opportunity to burn it off all year round. So, why don't people here take that opportunity ?
I refer back to the chocolate bar- given you need to walk the length of a football pitch to burn off a single M&M I don't think exercise is the 'solution' to rising obesity epidemic. Unfortunately the western junk-laden diet is such a major problem nothing but a huge overhaul of how we manufacture, promote and tax high sugar, high fat, high salt foods is going to make the damndest bit of difference.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 6:02 pm
ABCDiamond

It actually has nothing to do with the country...

It has everything to do with each individual and what choices they make...

If you google "Worlds Fattest Countries" you will see that neither UK nor Australia are in the top ten.

Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

If you google "Worlds Fattest Countries" you will see that neither UK nor Australia are in the top ten.
ditto
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:35 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

No one forces anyone to eat - they can all stop eating, it's called self choice and will power.
Yeh....but when you do strange things start to happent o your body and you eventually die.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:25 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

The trouble is, that's not actually a useful perspective. Obesity related illness is set to cripple future healthcare provision, not to mention all the social ill effects it brings and so on. It's a time bomb that will make paying back Rudd et al's current "generosity" pale to nothing in comparison. Therefore we have to tackle it from a multi-faceted society sort of perspective, I think. We need to see obesity as a healthcare issue, an education issue, a sociological issue, a psychological issue AND as a huge challenge to governments to put some checks and balances into the system to better protect the future tax payer from this impending burden. I hear again and again how people don't want governments to get involved as it's a question of free will and market forces and rah rah rah. I think that's hugely irresponsible because I don't want my children to live in a society crippled by sky high taxes necessitated by all the health and sociological problems of obesity that we were too reluctant to tackle. If we stand back and just declare it a consequence of free will and greed then we'll all pay in the future and if the predictions are to be believed, that future isn't so very far away ...

Just my tuppence worth.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Surprise surprise- the thread deteriorates into those on the moral high ground taking pot shots from behind a keyboard.

It is possible to discuss potentially minefield issues without stooping to abuse and namecalling and 'who can come up with the wittiest put-down', but for some reason some people derive more enjoyment from such 'banter' than from earnest, interesting discussion. I wonder why?
I'm happy to discuss the issues with you whilst on a running track.
Remember. There is NO SECRET in keeping within reasonable weight/size limits. Calorific intake must not exceed calorific out put!
People can always find excuses as I mentioned earlier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.