Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone going to watch the Olympic opening ceremony live?

Is anyone going to watch the Olympic opening ceremony live?

Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:32 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone going to watch the Olympic opening ceremony live?

Originally Posted by commonwealth
didnt know trampoline beds are now the standard hospital material.
Oh yes,sooooo 2012
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:32 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
WTF was going on with the dancing nurses n doctors
Don't pretend you don't know. I saw you there
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:08 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Don't pretend you don't know. I saw you there
No way baby,i was cleverly disguised as a kid 'trampolining' on a bed
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

It was sooooo cringeworthy,embarrassing in fact,esp lighting up the GOSH symble,that will put a few NHS hospita noses out of joint,it's not the ONLY good hospital in GB,well it is when i'm there of course
No, BUT as they were using Peter Pan as part of the ceremony, and GOSH is the recipient of ALL royalties from any production or part production, then it was fitting, AND, most of those appearing in that part were genuine doctors and nurses. They did also promote the NHS in the same scene.
Certainly NOT cringeworthy, and I thought is was a very good ceremony, and I bet there are far more think that than your comments.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of people I've read thus far, say they loved it.... except for Maccartney. Why is he getting such negative responses. ? He's never upset me that much.

I thought it was pretty good, some brilliant bits. I thought the Mr Bean part during the LSO performance was slightly over done though. Although thats probably because I'm biased towards classical muso's as my Daughter is an aspring orchastra member.

Personally I didn't think the seperate parts flowed into each other very well. I did enjoy the irreverance... who would have thought that the Brits could be more irreverant at an event like this, compared to the Americans or the Aussies.

What was the abide by me part all about ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 28th 2012 at 9:21 am.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

What was the abide by me part all about ?
Been sung at every FA cup final and Rugby League final, so had a very good sporting link.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Been sung at every FA cup final and Rugby League final, so had a very good sporting link.
Yes I know that.... but it was stuck in between a couple of totally opposing chapters. Not sure what it was meant to symbolise personally. Everything else had a clear meaning.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:24 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I'd love to know what the Americans made of the glorification of the invention of universal healthcare and the scripted line, " a society can be measured by how it looks after its sick.." (I'm assuming the script is IOC distributed and wasn't an Eddie McGuire original)

I'm sure Obama was grinning to himself and more than a few Repulicans were throwing stuff at their TVs!
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:25 am
FREE TIBET

Thought it was for those who were murdered in the London bombings,could be wrong though,it was mentioned just before song started
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No, BUT as they were using Peter Pan as part of the ceremony, and GOSH is the recipient of ALL royalties from any production or part production, then it was fitting, AND, most of those appearing in that part were genuine doctors and nurses. They did also promote the NHS in the same scene.
Certainly NOT cringeworthy, and I thought is was a very good ceremony, and I bet there are far more think that than your comments.
That's why I'd be interested to hear the word on the nursing grapevine - specially from staff who work both at GOSH and at other hospitals that weren't so recognised
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:29 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair they were celebrating the whole of the NHS but with GOSH being the foremost kids hospital in the world it rightly had a spotlight on them.

Originally Posted by Pollyana

That's true, great place though it is, there are many other excellent hospitals - perhaps more appropriate to celebrate the whole NHS than just single out one, even though its probably the best known. What's the general feeling on the nursing grapevine about it?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:29 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I'd love to know what the Americans made of the glorification of the invention of universal healthcare and the scripted line, " a society can be measured by how it looks after its sick.." (I'm assuming the script is IOC distributed and wasn't an Eddie McGuire original)

I'm sure Obama was grinning to himself and more than a few Repulicans were throwing stuff at their TVs!
My understanding is that bit went right over their heads - not helped by the NBC commentators and adverts cutting the (delayed) show to bits. I don't think they really covered the NHS aspect.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:30 am
FREE TIBET

I work at GOSH and i still found it cringeworthy and embarrassing,we don't ******g dance about like twats.and kids should not be allowed to jump about on their beds,very unsafe.By the way i have worked at GOSH for a very long time and i don't know ANY of the so called 'genuine' GOSH staff that supposedly took part,but hey what do i know,perhaps you do
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it was for those who were murdered in the London bombings,could be wrong though,it was mentioned just before song started
That was the intention
The song and accompanying dance were a tribute to the victims of the 7/7 terror attacks in London that claimed 52 victims days after the 2012 Summer Olympic hosts were named.

Apparently that bit wasn't aired in the USA

http://deadspin.com/5929778/heres-th...ant-you-to-see
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:33 am
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That was the intention
The song and accompanying dance were a tribute to the victims of the 7/7 terror attacks in London that claimed 52 victims days after the 2012 Summer Olympic hosts were named.

Apparently that bit wasn't aired in the USA

http://deadspin.com/5929778/heres-th...ant-you-to-see
That's because their heroes were off bombing some village and civilians in Afghanistan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.