Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all
Default Re: Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Wow, after reading these responses I am a bit worried about bringing my American wife over. She actually has no desire to ever live in the US again and doesn't want to raise the kids there but the sheer hatred that comes through many posts does have me worried.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie
Wow, after reading these responses I am a bit worried about bringing my American wife over. She actually has no desire to ever live in the US again and doesn't want to raise the kids there but the sheer hatred that comes through many posts does have me worried.
Maybe she can pretend she is a Canadian
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is not anti-America feeling per se, more anti- the person who is antagonistic in his/her posts.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pomster
I think it is not anti-America feeling per se, more anti- the person who is antagonistic in his/her posts.
I see. My wife is definitely not antagonistic nor is she a flag waving, patriotic sort who thinks everything is better back in the US. Heck, I can barely convince her to fly back and holiday there.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

I see. My wife is definitely not antagonistic nor is she a flag waving, patriotic sort who thinks everything is better back in the US. Heck, I can barely convince her to fly back and holiday there.

Well, I am most definitely not a flag waiving patriot by any means! I am sure you will do fine, but she will definitely be in for a shock, at least initially. Some things (health care) is truly much, much better in Australia.

Best wishes!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BILDER
Well, I am most definitely not a flag waiving patriot by any means! I am sure you will do fine, but she will definitely be in for a shock, at least initially. Some things (health care) is truly much, much better in Australia.

Best wishes!
Please don't think I was saying you were. My wife has been away so long that she doesn't feel patriotic anymore. Luckily she has been an expat before so she knows there will be a settling in period. She is anxious to have better weather than the UK.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Please don't think I was saying you were. My wife has been away so long that she doesn't feel patriotic anymore. Luckily she has been an expat before so she knows there will be a settling in period. She is anxious to have better weather than the UK.
No worries; she will definitely be very satisfied with the weather! Australia is a phenomenally beautiful country. I guess immigrants must be willing to adapt to their adopted country. I as an individual must come to terms with that.
Best of luck.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:31 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Well thank you for that! In this post, I am just saying that from many of these responses and 3 disgusting PMs, (a very small statistical sample) x is my conclusion. I also said that I really don't believe this to be the case in real life on the streets, as it were, but based on the online population here on this forum and on this specific thread, I could possibly say so.

On my trip to Australia only a handful of people were rude/ derogatory in any way. The vast majority was kind and ambivalent. I also have come to terms with the concept that a term that carries some heavy racial baggage in the US, may not be appreciated to be so in Australia, and that's ok! They are two different cultures. However One or two of the individuals here posted that equality was not a good thing when introduced to a population. I don't see how that works. Vocabulary may be different in one country or another, but equality shouldn't be. I also don't understand why the concept of freedom is so troublesome.
The use of the terms "wog" and "paki" have caused much consternation on this forum before. In the U.K they are both derogatory terms, as you say they are in the U.S.
People on this forum have said that neither of these terms are considered derogatory in Australia but it still makes me wince when I see them

If you've recieved abusive PM's then you should report it to one of the mods
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Let's get it on?
Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
"When I get that feeling, I want sexual healing"?
Originally Posted by spartacus
"When I get that feeling I want sexual healing ummmm baby its good for me" . . . ?

You three have filthy minds

I was thinking more along the lines of.....

"war is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate......."
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sorry, Dean but I got the full body feel-up at Heathrow last year. Not even offered the option of a private room, just felt up by a woman at security so not just an American thing.
By all accounts, the full body search in the UK is not as thorough as the one conducted by the US TSA although I can't speak from first hand experience.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Well thank you for that! In this post, I am just saying that from many of these responses and 3 disgusting PMs, (a very small statistical sample) x is my conclusion. I also said that I really don't believe this to be the case in real life on the streets, as it were, but based on the online population here on this forum and on this specific thread, I could possibly say so.

On my trip to Australia only a handful of people were rude/ derogatory in any way. The vast majority was kind and ambivalent. I also have come to terms with the concept that a term that carries some heavy racial baggage in the US, may not be appreciated to be so in Australia, and that's ok! They are two different cultures. However One or two of the individuals here posted that equality was not a good thing when introduced to a population. I don't see how that works. Vocabulary may be different in one country or another, but equality shouldn't be. I also don't understand why the concept of freedom is so troublesome.
I personally said who were you to dictate to us re language.. it was you that first used the term equality. I then went on to talk about Equality in the American sense which leads me to this. ..

Here is yet another example of American equality for you to peruse... from the most hypocritical nation on Earth... take a look at the make up of your prison population.

You have the Audacity to come and preach to us... without taking the time to find out what really is going here at our own cultural level..

Well Swallow this...

The first inmate of Philadelphia's Eastern State Penitentiary in 1829 was an eighteen-year-old black American. So began a long legacy of higher rates of incarceration for black Americans. In 1989 the number of black prisoners surpassed the number of whites; by 2003 some 832,400 black Americans were in the nation's prison and jail system compared to 665,100 whites and 363,900 Hispanics.
In 2003 4,834 out of every 100,000 black males were sentenced to prison compared to 681 per every 100,000 white males and 1,778 per 100,000 Hispanic males. Though the rate of black males going to prison was high, the fastest rising segment of prison population by the late twentieth century was minority females.

Read more: Race and Ethnicity - Incarceration And Minorities - Prison, Black, Percent, Population, Blacks, and Hispanic http://law.jrank.org/pages/12131/Rac...#ixzz1BcBuaa3c

I will readily admit Australias record on Aboriginal incarceration isn't much better, in fact it's a national disgrace. However I would never take it on myself to go around preaching to a whole nation about their internal use of language without trying to understand the situation first.

Makes me wonder if the people at the next table heard some disparaging remarks re Australia and that was the cause of their vocal disdain... does seem suprising to me that the whole place joined in.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 20th 2011 at 9:29 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
By all accounts, the full body search in the UK is not as thorough as the one conducted by the US TSA although I can't speak from first hand experience.
Oh no, it was pretty thorough. I've been married for 19 years and even my old man hasn't been quite so intimate as the security lady. Not that I'm complaining...Being a middle aged white woman travelling on a Canadian passport and an around the world ticket I must be a security risk. I've not had the TSA feel-up, though so can't say if they would do a gynaecological exam along with the breast check.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Oh no, it was pretty thorough. I've been married for 19 years and even my old man hasn't been quite so intimate as the security lady. Not that I'm complaining...Being a middle aged white woman travelling on a Canadian passport and an around the world ticket I must be a security risk. I've not had the TSA feel-up, though so can't say if they would do a gynaecological exam along with the breast check.
Yes, the TSA do the whole gynaecological thing... Women have a tendency to hide things in there. Could be a bomb!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:29 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I personally said who were you to dictate to us re language.. it was you that used the term equality...

And here is yet another example of American equality for you to peruse... from the most hypocritical nation on Earth... take a look at the make up of your prison population.

You have the Audacity to come and preach to us... without taking the time to find out what really is going here at our own cultural level..

Well Swallow this...

The first inmate of Philadelphia's Eastern State Penitentiary in 1829 was an eighteen-year-old black American. So began a long legacy of higher rates of incarceration for black Americans. In 1989 the number of black prisoners surpassed the number of whites; by 2003 some 832,400 black Americans were in the nation's prison and jail system compared to 665,100 whites and 363,900 Hispanics.
In 2003 4,834 out of every 100,000 black males were sentenced to prison compared to 681 per every 100,000 white males and 1,778 per 100,000 Hispanic males. Though the rate of black males going to prison was high, the fastest rising segment of prison population by the late twentieth century was minority females.

Read more: Race and Ethnicity - Incarceration And Minorities - Prison, Black, Percent, Population, Blacks, and Hispanic http://law.jrank.org/pages/12131/Rac...#ixzz1BcBuaa3c

I will readily admit Australias record on Aboriginal incarceration isn't much better, in fact it's a national disgrace. However I would never take it on myself to go around preaching to a whole nation about their internal use of language without trying to understand the situation first.

Makes me wonder if the people at the next table heard some disparaging remarks re Australia and that was the cause of their vocal disdain... does seem suprising to me that the whole place joined in.

why have you got it in for this bloke?
the reason he was being a bit spiky was that he was responding to some rather venomous posts. I don't think you can pin all of America's woes on him! Grow up, sheila
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I personally said who were you to dictate to us re language.. it was you that first used the term equality. I then went on to talk about Equality in the American sense which leads me to this. ..

Here is yet another example of American equality for you to peruse... from the most hypocritical nation on Earth... take a look at the make up of your prison population.

Well Swallow this...

First and foremost, we weren't discussing anything related to Australia. We are looking to buy a home in the US, and we were discussing locations pros and cons. Secondly, it wasn't the whole establishment, only about 7 people or so other than the fat guy's party.
No, I absolutely agree with you. You are preaching to the choir when it comes to our prison population! 10 % of the black population in the US is in prison for crying out loud!! However, there are some system wide deficiencies in society that put them and to a certain extent keep them there. Bad schools in poor areas, decreased after school program funding, etc. These are all true! However, I don't go looking so far in the past. We must look at the future. If you insist on looking at the past, look at the White Australia policy until 1974! that is very recent.
The gollywog store was not until 2 days after the dinner incident btw.
I did not support Bush, I am quite liberal so you saying these things is not hurting my defense one bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.