Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Wikiposts

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Originally Posted by BILDER
If that is meant as a joke...well played. If not well...
Anyway, no he wasn't. He was a lumbering buffoon of a lard (looked like an American himself).
Yeah it was a joke, but like most jokes, it has some footing in reality.
If you really don't think that your American accent is more likely to provoke a response from the Arab community then get youself down to Lakemba Street for your next night out and see how you get on.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Whilst I don't condonde what was said, I am left wondering how did he know you were American?

I don't mean to paint all Australians with the same brush, but I do find anti-American sentiment quite pervasive. Any country that still uses racial epiphets in common day speech is truly a little backward.
But the implication is that you do paint us all with the same brush when you say "any country.....is truly a little backward". To call a country is to call its people. Perhaps sometimes we all need to think a little about what we say......
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:53 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=micmay3_in_oz;9114883]Whilst I don't condonde what was said, I am left wondering how did he know you were American?

I don't mean to paint all Australians with the same brush, but I do find anti-American sentiment quite pervasive. Any country that still uses racial epiphets in common day speech is truly a little backward. QUOTE]

But the implication is that you do paint us all with the same brush when you say "any country.....is truly a little backward". To call a country is to call its people. Perhaps sometimes we all need to think a little about what we say......

oooh, sensitive!
how very un Australian
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:56 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
Whilst I don't condonde what was said, I am left wondering how did he know you were American?
Because the dining in Tetsuya's is pretty intimate so it's quite easy to overhear your neighbour's accent...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Very surprised that happened in Tetsuyas! Generally a very classy place.

I tend to find its the americans that have left the US and live somewhere else and the most decent and open minded ones. Its the ones that have never left their hometown and watch fox news all the time that are the problem. Bit like the Aussies really
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Unacceptable behavior, but not surprising to me. It's the clapping or tentative support of the Idiots action that is the contentious point here. You'll strike idiots now and again. The tentative support is a bit of a worry. Probably plenty of reasons as stated in other posts above. For some reason, a fair proportion of the populace seems to want to get the negative message through re perceived failings in American policy and worldwide influence. Think of it as a pointless hostile protest at a Shopfront/Airlines counter person.

I think this could also be particularly Sydneycentric behavior. The only example I've got to back this view up is a football game V Uruguay back at the last qualifying stage of the World Cup. What happened there from a crowd perspective was unique and unprecedented in this country. Having heard about the hostile reception the Australian players received in Montevideo, when it came to National Anthem time at the packed out Stadium... every person attending booed and hissed at the playing of the Uruguayan Anthem, which shocked most people, especially football people in Melbourne. It certainly paid off though. I cannot think of any other time a National Anthem has been abused, certainly at a sporting event in Australia. It would probably happen again now, if any major final is held in Sydney... which from a football perspective is possibly a good thing.

Basically I'm saying people in other states may think the same, but you will certainly based on the above example, probably be more likely to hear unified abuse in Sydney.

Something to do with it being a confident World City I guess. I'm not saying this wouldn't happen elsewhere. Although I doubt you would get the supportive clapping.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 19th 2011 at 2:02 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Not an Australian perception but I think it probably all started going down hill after Clinton.

Clinton was pretty good on foreign policy whereas his successors have been crap.

PS: most of the Americans I have met and worked with have been nice people.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 19th 2011 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps because he kept his camera around his neck all through dinner and pulled his credit card out of his knee length white socks when he came to pay?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

I find it disgraceful that people can use the term "wog" in public, when referring to someone who is Italian or Greek. This is a disgusting term! At a store in Sydney, we saw "gollywog and other ' nigger ' dolls" for sale! I have photo of this. It is for this reason that say many Australians are truly backward. It's the Australians that make Australia backwards in this regard

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Because the dining in Tetsuya's is pretty intimate so it's quite easy to overhear your neighbour's accent...
This.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Very surprised that happened in Tetsuyas! Generally a very classy place.

I tend to find its the americans that have left the US and live somewhere else and the most decent and open minded ones. Its the ones that have never left their hometown and watch fox news all the time that are the problem. Bit like the Aussies really
Very true. My biggest concern with America is the education system! Many uneducated Americans think that the US is the center of the universe and without them the whole world would not have existed, thus, there is no reason to see what else is out there.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Perhaps because he kept his camera around his neck all through dinner and pulled his credit card out of his knee length white socks when he came to pay?
His American Express credit card.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouiseR
His American Express credit card.
I did pay with an Amex!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I did pay with an Amex!
I have one too, but no-one ever mistook me for an American (apart from an unfortunate incident in Daytona - but I still refuse to speak of it).
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I find it disgraceful that people can use the term "wog" in public, when referring to someone who is Italian or Greek. This is a disgusting term! At a store in Sydney, we saw "gollywog and other ' nigger ' dolls" for sale! I have photo of this. It is for this reason that say many Australians are truly backward. It's the Australians that make Australia backwards in this regard

This.
Now you've lost me. They call themselves that. Meditteraneans have claimed ownership of the word which used to be an Insult back in the 60/70's..... You Americans think you can dictate to the world

I think you need to look at yourself on this one honestly.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Look and Learn Sunshine....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2GYIcprD70

Posted from Wogcentral Melbourne.... the very diverse and very Meditteranean area of the Northern Subs.

Seriously do not knock things you clearly have no understanding of. 30 years I've been here and the term disgusted me at first... then I became educated by the majority Meditteranean people I live amongst.

Ironcally you have given a example in your reasoning as to why Australians have insulted you.

We dont like being dictated too... unlike the poodle Poms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.