The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:35 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
1. Ours do
2. Bunnings do a similar one, so when you take of the nozzle, the water supply stops.

Or: http://i31.twenga.com/3/tp/13/55/626...49351355vb.png from the UK site for £5.29
is also available in NSW for $5.95 AUD or (£2.53)

I do apologise for the positive nature of this post... so...

I positively agree that Books are expensive here...
I've seen scotch eggs occasionally it's that they're not local.

I saw a Hozelock pump the other day and I was wondering if the fittings could be found as well. Have they recently arrived or have I not been looking hard enough?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 16th 2008 at 9:37 am.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Odd comment, since most towns can have up to 5 or 6 pubs and clubs. At least they are down to earth and most have some atmosphere, with none of the shite that is found in so-called city "pubs", which are pubs in name only now. A proper term for city pubs could be sterile boutique hotels with no atmosphere.
I'd like to know how many "rural" pubs you have been to? Better yet, have you spent anytime in rural areas, and I don't mean outer suburbs?
Our town has one pub. The next town has none. The town after that has 4. I must be odd to consider that few and far between.

"sterile boutique hotels" does not describe the city pubs I was talking about.

I've been on a few wildfire strike teams and I'm fairly sure that at least one of them may have been in a rural area. Not sure though, it was hard to tell with all those trees and paddocks But I can check with the other members of my Rural Fire Brigade if you like?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The site is not necessarily for British Expats, but was started by British Expats. Lots of us here are not British, have never been to UK and don't ever intend to be in UK.

Site rules are quite simple actually. See here.
Ah, perfectly logical.

Just trying to think of similar sites.....a site about living in Oxford called "The Melbournian" because it was designed by someone from Melbourne.

A site called "Christians" selling used cars - the people setting it up were....yep, you guessed it.

Jesus Dorothy give us a break...
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:12 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

The site is not necessarily for British Expats, but was started by British Expats. Lots of us here are not British, have never been to UK and don't ever intend to be in UK.

nice avatar
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Crow
Agree - plenty of great pubs in and around the Dandenong Ranges
I may be wrong but I thought half the Dandenong Ranges were inside Metropolitan Melbourne. Wouldn't that fall under what The Bloke calls outer suburbs?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
[*]Not far enough from Europe and the sanctimonious, holier-than-thou occupants of said region who spent the last 700 years ****ing up the rest of the planet and the people who live there.

Interesting comment from someone of European origin who chooses to go and live in one of the places that was stolen, occupied and ****ed up.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Ah, perfectly logical.

Just trying to think of similar sites.....a site about living in Oxford called "The Melbournian" because it was designed by someone from Melbourne.

A site called "Christians" selling used cars - the people setting it up were....yep, you guessed it.

Jesus Dorothy give us a break...
Just answering the question.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:27 am
Account Closed

I've got another.

The roads are more dangerous. I'm not talking about the driving but the roads themselves. There are a lot more uncontrolled junctions (e.g. turning right onto and off a dual carriageway without the help of lights or roundabout). The soft verges can cause trouble if you hit them at speed. Last week one car did that locally and went sideways into a power-pole. Also the urban speed limits are faster and despite stricter speed enforcement people still break these limits. The road toll is higher here.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:37 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Just answering the question.
not that I asked the question but hell I'll bite I'm pissed, OK why dont you change the site name then? I am sure many people surfing the web would presume this is a site for british expats .. like I say clue in the name...
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I may be wrong but I thought half the Dandenong Ranges were inside Metropolitan Melbourne. Wouldn't that fall under what The Bloke calls outer suburbs?
Even if it's officially 'metropolitan' it's a million miles from the feel of typical outer burbs.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Interesting comment from someone of European origin who chooses to go and live in one of the places that was stolen, occupied and ****ed up.
In what sense? Can hardly make things any worse, can I?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
In what sense? Can hardly make things any worse, can I?
Seems like we are taking advantage of something that we're denouncing, or like to be seen to be denouncing. It did trouble me a bit while I was in Australia.

I always thought Amazulu's "white man came, fought with black man, white man won, get over it" attitude was more honest somehow, but I was never very comfortable with that either.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Have to agree that a lot of the Dandendongs just about do fall under Melbourne Met, even if the Metropolitan Fire Brigade does not serve them, (apart from the Lilydale spur lol) and yes, some are moreorless the furthest suburbs that currently exist..

However, the thing is, though, is that life in some of them feels like a rural place in the UK - many, many more miles away from any other equivalent city. To me, this is in the Top 5 reasons to live here. That rural/city mix.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Crow
Even if it's officially 'metropolitan' it's a million miles from the feel of typical outer burbs.
Okay. I stand corrected. If you and The Bloke say that rural pubs in Aus are plentiful and excellent then they must be. They truly put their UK equivalents to shame
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Have to agree that a lot of the Dandendongs just about do fall under Melbourne Met, even if the Metropolitan Fire Brigade does not serve them, (apart from the Lilydale spur lol) and yes, some are moreorless the furthest suburbs that currently exist..

However, the thing is, though, is that life in some of them feels like a rural place in the UK - many, many more miles away from any other equivalent city. To me, this is in the Top 5 reasons to live here. That rural/city mix.
I don't think you can use the Metropolitan Fire Brigade area as a measure. I think the Metropolitan Fire Brigade area was set up in 1958 and as such was the boundary of Metropolitan Melbourne at that time. Places like Frankston are now in Metropolitan Melbourne (there is a sign on the Baxter-Tooradin Rd that tells you so) even though it in the CFA area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.