Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

I don't recall doing any homework to speak of. I was so lazy I wrote out the questions and left blanks.

When questioned I always gave suitably mature comments which an adult would have given so I recall leaving teachers momentarily stunned.

I once got an A for writing a 3 line essay - just for being cheeky but still came top in the year in the same subject.

I then passed all exams easily much to the disgust of my teachers. My house tutor words still ring in my ears.

"You must be a genius!".

Nope, just got a knack for last minute learning and revision! lol.

I reckon kids get the benefit of reading around the subject more than we did. I find it easier studying now. Sometimes the hard bit is working out, er, what the questions are, not the answers and reading loosely around for 1 hour can be fruitful.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that ABC Diamond is a gourmet.Keep the rump steak I'll settle for anAberdeen Angus anyday. The wine is good I must admit.I do like Aussie food although the attempts at haute cuisine are laughable.At the weekend I ordered oysters and when served they were deep fried and returned to their shell.
I hope none of you think I'm being a snob but the square plates and garnish are ridiculous.
I'll mish the fish and chips when I return in about 110 sleeps
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

I have to live in Canberra for two years because of sponsorship

Only 1 pub I like here and its too far to walk and where the hell are the taxis, looked in the phone book and couldnt believe it.

Cost of bread...wtf, guys its flour and water ffs.

Tailgating and drivers cutting you off, also merge into 1...lol you cant give drivers choices like whos going to go first, at least theres little road rage here compaired to UK

The place I work sucks (it wasnt great in the UK but there isnt even any banter at this place....very serious and will be moving when possible)

Apart from that we love it here.

Of course this is only based on my 5 month experience in the ACT
Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kevin747
At the weekend I ordered oysters and when served they were deep fried and returned to their shell.
You can blame Jamie Oliver for that... http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/reci...ipe.asp?id=569

They must have assumed it's the way the Brits eat them

Now... Deep Fried Ice cream I do like

Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know that.Jamie Oliver tut tut
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You can blame Jamie Oliver for that... http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/reci...ipe.asp?id=569

They must have assumed it's the way the Brits eat them

I had deep fried oysters in Australia long before anyone had heard of Jamie Oliver.

G
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, I don't like......erm....give me a minute......I'll come up with something......erm.......mmmmmm......oooo I have something......I hate the...erm....the......no, it's gone again - can't have been important

Originally Posted by Grayling
I had deep fried oysters in Australia long before anyone had heard of Jamie Oliver.

G

Was that before he was born G?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

Was that before he was born G?
Possibly

G
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:24 am
Banned

chch2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chch2008
hi

Hello
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Next you'll be telling us that you buy the smoked oysters in the tins, next to the pilchards and tuna...

Em x

PS Deep fried oysters?? *shudders*
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:45 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here's my shat list for Straya...
  1. No decent Pork Scratchings
  2. No Scotch Egss
  3. The Clotted Cream here looks and tastes like whale semen and too far from Cornwall to import the proper job. Rodda's Clotted Cream that is, not Cornish whale semen.
  4. ... err, nope that's it. Wouldn't live anywhere else for now

As the Australian Tourist Board says...

Australia - Same shit, different country

StuckInBlighty - Have you considered moving from Packenham ? Perhaps somewhere more Australian ?

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Nov 22nd 2008 at 8:01 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigAPE
....[*]The Clotted Cream here looks and tastes like whale semen....

Al
I'll have to take your word for that.

I agree that the clotted cream is not the same. I suspect that the clotted cream is not the same outside of Cornwall
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:57 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I suspect that the clotted cream is not the same outside of Cornwall
Sadly no. Living 10 minutes from the Rodda's factory we used to be flush with outstanding cream for our crumbles.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:11 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Am I the only one that doesn't miss the British pub?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.