Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:59 pm
  #136  
Australia's Doorman
 
Hutch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Shoalhaven, New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 11,056
Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Seems like we are taking advantage of something that we're denouncing, or like to be seen to be denouncing. It did trouble me a bit while I was in Australia.

I always thought Amazulu's "white man came, fought with black man, white man won, get over it" attitude was more honest somehow, but I was never very comfortable with that either.
As someone who's Australian on my father's side (they weren't free settlers!) I'm taking advantage of nothing more than the chance to go home.
Hutch is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 8:20 pm
  #137  
MODERATOR
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,932
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by MartinLuther View Post
I've seen scotch eggs occasionally it's that they're not local.

I saw a Hozelock pump the other day and I was wondering if the fittings could be found as well. Have they recently arrived or have I not been looking hard enough?
I thought you were being facetious so didn't bother with an initial reply. You can buy the fittings your talking about from most hardware stores. I have a couple on our fire hoses just so I can change nozzles without getting wet, saves kinking the hose to change them.
Better to buy the brass ones than the cheap Chinese plastic ones.
cresta57 is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 8:27 pm
  #138  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
I thought you were being facetious so didn't bother with an initial reply. You can buy the fittings your talking about from most hardware stores. I have a couple on our fire hoses just so I can change nozzles without getting wet, saves kinking the hose to change them.
Better to buy the brass ones than the cheap Chinese plastic ones.
I've obviously not been looking hard enough. I'll get my leather jacket on and start looking again.

Cheers
MartinLuther is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:09 pm
  #139  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Power Cuts !!

According to the radio, Brisbane has just had the biggest storm in 20 years, and 230,000 houses went without power last night.

Our power went out some time around 5pm (I think) and didn't come back till about 8pm.
That's about the longest we have been without power. I have heard that some houses are still without power though.

I cooked dinner on the BBQ, and brought all the garden solar lights inside, to give us light

But with no computer, my daughter could not do her homework! (oops.. that's a positive in her eyes)
 
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:13 pm
  #140  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond View Post
Power Cuts !!

According to the radio, Brisbane has just had the biggest storm in 20 years, and 230,000 houses went without power last night.

Our power went out some time around 5pm (I think) and didn't come back till about 8pm.
That's about the longest we have been without power. I have heard that some houses are still without power though.

I cooked dinner on the BBQ, and brought all the garden solar lights inside, to give us light

But with no computer, my daughter could not do her homework! (oops.. that's a positive in her eyes)
That will teach her for leaving it till Sunday evening!
northernbird is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:27 pm
  #141  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by northernbird View Post
That will teach her for leaving it till Sunday evening!
I was tempted to say the same to her, but we let her go down the Gold Coast for the weekend with a school friend and her family, so maybe I should have ensured it was done first

I am at the stage of allowing her the responsibility to look after these things herself, and face consequences if she doesn't do it. But without the power cut, she may have done it ?
She has however agreed that it may be best to do things earlier, in case of unexpected situations.
In the end, it was a good learning event for her
 
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:30 pm
  #142  
Australia's Doorman
 
Hutch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Shoalhaven, New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 11,056
Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond View Post
Power Cuts !!

According to the radio, Brisbane has just had the biggest storm in 20 years, and 230,000 houses went without power last night.

Our power went out some time around 5pm (I think) and didn't come back till about 8pm.
That's about the longest we have been without power. I have heard that some houses are still without power though.

I cooked dinner on the BBQ, and brought all the garden solar lights inside, to give us light

But with no computer, my daughter could not do her homework! (oops.. that's a positive in her eyes)
I'd consider a laptop. Even a power-hungry 'desktop replacement' should be able to go for about 2 hours on battery if you turn the wi-fi and bluetooth off. No Internet of course, but if it's an emergency, relocate with the laptop to McDonalds and use their Internet.
Hutch is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:33 pm
  #143  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond View Post
I was tempted to say the same to her, but we let her go down the Gold Coast for the weekend with a school friend and her family, so maybe I should have ensured it was done first

I am at the stage of allowing her the responsibility to look after these things herself, and face consequences if she doesn't do it. But without the power cut, she may have done it ?
She has however agreed that it may be best to do things earlier, in case of unexpected situations.
In the end, it was a good learning event for her
I haven't got room to comment really, I was always doing mine on the school bus on Monday morning
northernbird is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:35 pm
  #144  
Bitter and twisted
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Upmarket
Posts: 17,503
Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

What's wrong with pen and paper?

It's all I ever had
Grayling is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:37 pm
  #145  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,784
kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
What's wrong with pen and paper?

It's all I ever had
aye and a cup of cold poison for breakfast
kporte is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:41 pm
  #146  
Bitter and twisted
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Upmarket
Posts: 17,503
Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by kporte View Post
aye and a cup of cold poison for breakfast
Poison?










....luxury.
Grayling is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:49 pm
  #147  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,784
kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
Poison?










....luxury.
kporte is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:54 pm
  #148  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
What's wrong with pen and paper?

It's all I ever had
She had already done the pen and paper draft of the work, but it needed to be typed up for final presentation !! Not like my days at school

That is something that I find not too good here, where they get more points for final presentation.
So far it has cost me the price of a colour laser printer for her, so she gets even better marks.
Mind you, I have been thinking of checking that with the teacher
 
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:58 pm
  #149  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
I'd consider a laptop. Even a power-hungry 'desktop replacement' should be able to go for about 2 hours on battery if you turn the wi-fi and bluetooth off. No Internet of course, but if it's an emergency, relocate with the laptop to McDonalds and use their Internet.
A laptop is a no-no. She will take it everywhere and probably lose it. She does keep asking for one though. Although I did quickly look at the one in ALDI this week, for $599.

And I am trying to wean her off McDonalds


A Manual Typewriter !!!
 
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:58 pm
  #150  
Bitter and twisted
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Upmarket
Posts: 17,503
Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond View Post
She had already done the pen and paper draft of the work, but it needed to be typed up for final presentation !! Not like my days at school

That is something that I find not too good here, where they get more points for final presentation.
So far it has cost me the price of a colour laser printer for her, so she gets even better marks.
Mind you, I have been thinking of checking that with the teacher
I did my first degree in the time before PCs and word processors.

Everything was handwritten and all research had to be done by physically tracking down books and articles.

can't imagine how we managed then

G
Grayling is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.