Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:23 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by Grayling
I did my first degree in the time before PCs and word processors.

Everything was handwritten and all research had to be done by physically tracking down books and articles.

can't imagine how we managed then

G
You have me wondering now ! I remember when the first PC's became generally available. I already ran my own accounting business at the time, but I can't remember how I did the accounts now. It must have been pen, paper and calculator!

It does explain how the kids of today are so much "cleverer" than us oldies.

It took us hours to research, and prepare a report on something that these days it would take them, and google, about 5 minutes to find, and print out ready for school !!

I am glad her school makes them do a draft first, for about 50% of the mark, before the final product.

Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

The national anthem is appalling.The most awful dirge.Written by a Scot I'm sorry to say
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I don't think you can use the Metropolitan Fire Brigade area as a measure. I think the Metropolitan Fire Brigade area was set up in 1958 and as such was the boundary of Metropolitan Melbourne at that time. Places like Frankston are now in Metropolitan Melbourne (there is a sign on the Baxter-Tooradin Rd that tells you so) even though it in the CFA area.
I know - it was just a sort of arbitary limit that sprung to mind. As you know, it pretty much stops at Springvale rd and Melbourne continues E for ages - gives you an idea of expansion.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I haven't got room to comment really, I was always doing mine on the school bus on Monday morning
Terrible habit - I remember it well. B*gger when the bus went over bumps in the road and jogged your writing wasn't it!!!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
The national anthem is appalling.The most awful dirge.Written by a Scot I'm sorry to say
The Australian national anthem and "I'm gonna be" by The Proclaimers. Not much of a track record, is it?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Hutch on that one!.Rolf Harris should write a new one
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:37 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon the Aussie national anthem is better than the UK one.

This was clearly demonstrated to me the other day when one of the kids asked what the UK national anthem sounded like*. Not only is it completely meaningless to my republican soul but it just sounds crap.

* This was just after the kids had been teaching the Aussie national anthem to my wife who was a little embarrassed at not knowing the words at the local Remembrance Day service.

PS: There's also something quite comforting about being girt by sea.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 17th 2008 at 11:42 am.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:47 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Tis full of laid back lazy bassards enjoying life instead of devoting every hour to working.

Don't they realise what they're not missing ?

Farking shameful I call it.

Could be sweating their bollocks off in the coal mine but no, they prefer to tipple a slab or two on a tinnie.

What sort of mentality is that ?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

softshoebanana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bored-silly
LMAO, I will for sure.

I did actually hate Melbourne if it keeps the thread on track. Full of pikeys.
Sorry, better late than never but I couldn't resist this old chestnut......

.....I went to a gypsy fight the other day and a wedding broke out
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

In reply to Bix. The laid back aussie is a bit of a myth as is the larrikin.From where I sit people work to hard ,have fewer holidays and a devoted little lot to the company.More so than the uk

Slabs of beer and burnt meat.Not that great really!

The uk national anthem is crap I agree.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

softshoebanana is an unknown quantity at this point

...put alongisde the rousing 'Land of Hope and Glory', it doesn't stand a chance does it? But as long as we're (he says all the way from Ireland) stuck with that lot, I'll suppose it won't go away.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:10 pm
ABCDiamond

These days it's more like: wine and medium rare steak, at least in my area

Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

In reply to Bix. The laid back aussie is a bit of a myth as is the larrikin.From where I sit people work to hard ,have fewer holidays and a devoted little lot to the company.More so than the uk

Agree also..the myth of the laid back Aussie and as for being a larrikin what a laugh some of the more conforming people that i have met.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
These days it's more like: wine and medium rare steak, at least in my area
same here. had friends over at weekend for some lovely rib fillet and a glass or 2 of a nice barossa shiraz
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kporte
same here. had friends over at weekend for some lovely rib fillet and a glass or 2 of a nice barossa shiraz
I bought a whole rump of beautifully tender steak last week, my daughter was almost convinced it was a chateaubriand I had cooked.

Oh, wait a minute this is a negative thread isn't it... ummm.. Oh yes... It cost me more than I normally pay for steak ... this was $9.95 kg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.