Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:16 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

Return tickets.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Sorry to hear that

Do you think the $1000 for all items maximum applies?

We declared everything but probably only had about £400 worth of stuff. No duty was payable except for the m/bike of course.

I spoke to someone yesterday who got stung for $400 by quarantine for dirty shoes/boots.
Tumble Dryer:

Value $400
Duty $20
GST $42
Total $62

I don't know to be honest. We also declared our new laptops at the airport on arrival and the guy said but you're immigrating and we don't need to pay anything.

We also had to pay to get 2 pairs of shoes cleaned or destroyed.

Cleaning and then re-inspection = $165

Destruction = $110

We had them destroyed.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=paulry;9156170]If you're are bringing table lamps, etc you might want to bring spare bayonet type bulbs. The standard bulb here is the screw in type. And bring along any spare UK plugs and double plugs that you have - just in case. [QUOTE]

I think that's changing - Looking in the supermarket its about 50/50 screw in / bayonet - you won't have ny difficulty locating bayonet types, we brought all our lamps out and havent had a problem.

[QUOTE]Decent pillows and duvets, bedding, etc costs an arm and a leg here compared to the UK.[QUOTE]

Dead right - plenty of cheap stuff around, but quality stuff really costs

Worth padding out your wardrobe, depending on what you need - decent, high street standard suits, shoes, coats, etc are well worth shipping as is outdoor gear, boots, trainers, waterproofs etc. (the latter will get much less hard use and will last) Aussie high street stuff (Myers, etc is generally dated and poorly made - you can buy quality clothes, but it will cost)

If you plan to spend your time in boardies and thongs though, don't worry about it.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
BOOOKS

Nearly forgot books...

Books are SO EXPENSIVE it'll blow your mind....

Go to oxfam, garage sales, jumble sales and buy up ALL the books and bring them over for us please....

I CANNOT believe the price of books
Book Depository - cheaper than the UK.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
I don't know of many things that aren't available in Oz except from the normal things like haggis, scotch pies etc.
I would say that if you get the chance then make sure that you have a reasonably modern computer as they are definately more expensive. A good tv led or lcd wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Clothes by all accounts especially childrens clothes. Get a good mobile and make sure it's unlocked so you just need to buy a sim.
Tools also are alot dearer so if your a budding mechanic get them here or if your a budding diy sort of guy then order your stuff from screwfix before you go.
I have found that computers and computer parts are cheaper here.

Tools are expensive in Australia.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

If you're are bringing table lamps, etc you might want to bring spare bayonet type bulbs. The standard bulb here is the screw in type.
You are taking the piss right? Bunnings have racks of bayonet light fittings - right next to the edison screw ones.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by cresta57
You realise that the USA is 110v not 240v? A US vacum cleaner will not be compatible voltage wise here in Australia.
We bought a Dyson dc29 for $349 in last years Boxing day sales. It's not what I'd call expensive & it does a fantastic job [so she tells me]
A lot of modern electrical and electronic equipment is voltage sensing and can be used on voltages from 100-250V. Maybe Dyson machines have this capability.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Tumble Dryer:

Value $400
Duty $20
GST $42
Total $62

I don't know to be honest. We also declared our new laptops at the airport on arrival and the guy said but you're immigrating and we don't need to pay anything.

We also had to pay to get 2 pairs of shoes cleaned or destroyed.

Cleaning and then re-inspection = $165

Destruction = $110

We had them destroyed.
It's costly moving here, huh

I wonder if they'd have stung you for the drier if you'd declared it? It seems to be the general culture in this country: If you don't declare then they sting you but if you do then they are generous. What happened? Did you forget to declare it? TBH, it's easy to forget stuff amongst the mayhem of the move We nearly forgot to declare our new vacuum cleaner.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:49 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You are taking the piss right? Bunnings have racks of bayonet light fittings - right next to the edison screw ones.
In that case, my apologies. I was assuming that they'd also be tough to obtain here since UK standard plugs aren't available - thought it would be the same with bulbs - as was our experience many years ago in South Africa.

We brought our UK lamps, etc and were glad that we could just delve into our collection of bayonet bulbs the other day when one needed replacing. At the time I remember thinking how glad I was I'd brought them.

In Australia are they cheap? And do they cost the same as the edisons?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

In that case, my apologies. I was assuming that they'd also be tough to obtain here since UK standard plugs aren't available - thought it would be the same with bulbs - as was our experience many years ago in South Africa.

We brought our UK lamps, etc and were glad that we could just delve into our collection of bayonet bulbs the other day when one needed replacing. At the time I remember thinking how glad I was I'd brought them.

In Australia are they cheap? And do they cost the same as the edisons?
If you buy decent Osram or Phillips low energy bulbs they cost about $6 for 2 - incandesecent bulbs are no longer sold in Australia.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you buy decent Osram or Phillips low energy bulbs they cost about $6 for 2 - incandesecent bulbs are no longer sold in Australia.
I bought a load of low energy bulbs @ 20p each last year.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick11
Raid boots and buy huge supplies of deoderants, make up, moisturisers.
Buy a rotary clothes line..cost a bloody fortune here!!
If I had my time again..I would have bought our caravan. Caravans here are about 30 years behind and cost a fortune!!!!

I second this, particularly if you only want a small one. The small, inexpensive Argos style rotary clothe lines just don't exist here. The sizes start at huge, and unfortunately the prices match.

S
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I second this, particularly if you only want a small one. The small, inexpensive Argos style rotary clothe lines just don't exist here. The sizes start at huge, and unfortunately the prices match.

S
I would buy some white emulsion and white gloss paint. Paint here is extremely expensive and the quality is awful, Dulux or Taubermmans is the best of the bunch and you still need 3/4 coats of the stuff, they must water it all down for the Australian market.

So buy lots of paint (mound resistant).....
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

I bought a load of low energy bulbs @ 20p each last year.
Yoy can buy really cheap ones here at Crazy Clarks, Red Dot etc but the quality is terrible. I don't buy low energy bulbs anymore as I have moved up to LED lighting.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by macy
I would buy some white emulsion and white gloss paint. Paint here is extremely expensive and the quality is awful, Dulux or Taubermmans is the best of the bunch and you still need 3/4 coats of the stuff, they must water it all down for the Australian market.

So buy lots of paint (mound resistant).....
Paint is expensive ($54 for 2l of bathroom white at the weekend) but I find that the quality is good (Dulux).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.