British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-uk-items-should-we-buy-before-we-leave-703947/)

colonel Feb 5th 2011 8:25 pm

What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

Me again folks !

Just a quick question, what items (legal, of course !) should we be bring with us from the UK which is not available in Oz.

Thanks

Colonel

mvagusta Feb 5th 2011 8:50 pm

Re: What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

Originally Posted by colonel (Post 9154857)
Me again folks !

Just a quick question, what items (legal, of course !) should we be bring with us from the UK which is not available in Oz.

Thanks

Colonel

I don't know of many things that aren't available in Oz except from the normal things like haggis, scotch pies etc.:D
I would say that if you get the chance then make sure that you have a reasonably modern computer as they are definately more expensive. A good tv led or lcd wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Clothes by all accounts especially childrens clothes. Get a good mobile and make sure it's unlocked so you just need to buy a sim.
Tools also are alot dearer so if your a budding mechanic get them here or if your a budding diy sort of guy then order your stuff from screwfix before you go.

colonel Feb 5th 2011 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by mvagusta (Post 9154896)
I don't know of many things that aren't available in Oz except from the normal things like haggis, scotch pies etc.:D
I would say that if you get the chance then make sure that you have a reasonably modern computer as they are definately more expensive. A good tv led or lcd wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Clothes by all accounts especially childrens clothes. Get a good mobile and make sure it's unlocked so you just need to buy a sim.
Tools also are alot dearer so if your a budding mechanic get them here or if your a budding diy sort of guy then order your stuff from screwfix before you go.

All of them those items mentioned will be taken. Also, we have just ordered 5 UK/AUS travel adaptors. We have a number of extension leads already.

Any other items that you can think of ?

mvagusta Feb 5th 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by colonel (Post 9154900)
All of them those items mentioned will be taken. Also, we have just ordered 5 UK/AUS travel adaptors. We have a number of extension leads already.

Not too many things come to mind, athough kitchen utensils and books if you read will come in handy.
Normally anything to do with kids would be a good investment.

Nearly forgot a good home brew kit. :thumbsup:

Alfresco Feb 5th 2011 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by colonel (Post 9154900)

Lots of spare ink cartridges if your printer is zoned like HPs are. They won't use Oz cartridges straight out the box, you need to get your printer re-zoned to Oz.

colonel Feb 5th 2011 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by mvagusta (Post 9154918)
Nearly forgot a good home brew kit.

Good point mate....a trip to tesco tomorrow I think !

[quote=alfresco[Lots of spare ink cartridges if your printer is zoned like HPs are. They won't use Oz cartridges straight out the box, you need to get your printer re-zoned to Oz.[/quote]

Thanks Alf....we do indeed own a HP printer...however, have managed to pilfer 8 cartridges from work already and we still have four weeks to go ! :eek:

eddie007 Feb 5th 2011 9:58 pm

A really good vacuum cleaner.... Dysons are stoopid money here... Miele washing machine and dryer...

If I had spare space in a huge container and money was no object i'd bring over washing powder... I miss uk washing powders...

If you're into your denby, le crueset, wedgwood, and good quality cook wear... Its really pricey here... Not that I buy... But I do look...

And some bananas... Ey're going to be bloomin expensive.. Already leapt in price from 99 cts a kilo to $4.99 a kilo ... The only way is UP

eddie007 Feb 5th 2011 10:22 pm

BOOOKS

Nearly forgot books...

Books are SO EXPENSIVE it'll blow your mind....

Go to oxfam, garage sales, jumble sales and buy up ALL the books and bring them over for us please....

I CANNOT believe the price of books

Wendy Feb 5th 2011 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9155037)
BOOOKS

Nearly forgot books...

Books are SO EXPENSIVE it'll blow your mind....

Go to oxfam, garage sales, jumble sales and buy up ALL the books and bring them over for us please....

I CANNOT believe the price of books

You so need to buy a kindle. They're fantastic :thumbup: (cheaper for books too!)

eddie007 Feb 5th 2011 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 9155039)
You so need to buy a kindle. They're fantastic :thumbup: (cheaper for books too!)

You know an 80 year old patient I was looking after last week had a kindle... Hadn't even heard of them... She told me all about it... I would LOve one...

But isnt there something nice about having books about the house??? Going to a shelf and browsing, picking out a book, blowing the dust off it???

Will have to give it a go

Wendy Feb 5th 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9155047)
You know an 80 year old patient I was looking after last week had a kindle... Hadn't even heard of them... She told me all about it... I would LOve one...

But isnt there something nice about having books about the house??? Going to a shelf and browsing, picking out a book, blowing the dust off it???

Will have to give it a go

I still have paper books on my shelf. You know the special ones that I can read over and over. Not to mention the hundreds of them that I have bought since getting here because I just can't walk past a book shop without going in (books are my weakness, like most women's shoes and handbags!!) :o:D

But I do like my kindle. If there's something I want to read, I can just browse for it and download it there and then. It's great for reading in bed, so easy to hold and I can lie down and read! Also fabulous for reading outside, doesn't dim in the sunlight. I love mine, it's the best thing I ever bought :D

eddie007 Feb 5th 2011 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 9155054)
I still have paper books on my shelf. You know the special ones that I can read over and over. Not to mention the hundreds of them that I have bought since getting here because I just can't walk past a book shop without going in (books are my weakness, like most women's shoes and handbags!!) :o:D

But I do like my kindle. If there's something I want to read, I can just browse for it and download it there and then. It's great for reading in bed, so easy to hold and I can lie down and read! Also fabulous for reading outside, doesn't dim in the sunlight. I love mine, it's the best thing I ever bought :D

Can you have two or three books on the go at the same time with a kindle???

Wendy Feb 5th 2011 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9155060)
Can you have two or three books on the go at the same time with a kindle???

Yes.

On mine, I have created a folder for me and a folder for my daughter.

I also have two different books on the go. I just select to go into whichever book I want to read at the time, and it takes me right to the last page I was reading.

eddie007 Feb 5th 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 9155069)
Yes.

On mine, I have created a folder for me and a folder for my daughter.

I also have two different books on the go. I just select to go into whichever book I want to read at the time, and it takes me right to the last page I was reading.

Just ggogled them... Theyre bloody expensive....

Sorry OP... I think you need to bring a kindle...

She says desparately trying to cover up the thread has been hijacked....

Jen1977ni Feb 5th 2011 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9154985)
A really good vacuum cleaner.... Dysons are stoopid money here... Miele washing machine and dryer...

If I had spare space in a huge container and money was no object i'd bring over washing powder... I miss uk washing powders...

If you're into your denby, le crueset, wedgwood, and good quality cook wear... Its really pricey here... Not that I buy... But I do look...

And some bananas... Ey're going to be bloomin expensive.. Already leapt in price from 99 cts a kilo to $4.99 a kilo ... The only way is UP

I second the washing powder thing, the stuff here isn't the best scent wise, it's so weak, the OH's folks brought over some Bold for us at Christmas and wow it smells just fab mmmmm