Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

Originally Posted by paulry
Nope. Just finsihed off a bit of retail therapy. Bought a book from the US @ 2/3 the price of the UK and 1/2 the price of Aus*. Also bought other items from the UK at just over 1/3 of the Aussie price* and from the US @ 1/2 price*.

* = Including postage

Don't get me started. I bought an Australian Intellectual Property law textbook from the Book Depository. The book had been printed and published in Australia, flown to the UK, stocked by the Book Depository, then flown back to Australia for me.

Still AU$25 cheaper than buying it at the bookshop at the Uni.

Utterly ridiculous.

S
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Don't get me started. I bought an Australian Intellectual Property law textbook from the Book Depository. The book had been printed and published in Australia, flown to the UK, stocked by the Book Depository, then flown back to Australia for me.

Still AU$25 cheaper than buying it at the bookshop at the Uni.

Utterly ridiculous.

S
The Book Depository is excellent!

Meanwhile, with it's ridiculous pricing Australian business is causing serious damage to itself.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I don't think you're allowed to pack toiletries in the container either.
What???

Well you can defo bring them when you have a small load in a shared seafreight container as I did........
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:37 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I always take mine on the plane with me and give the excess away. I've never fancied the risk of shampoo running all over my furniture or though tutus and leather jackets and things. But just checked Allied's website and it looks as though you can.

Here's what they say you can't pack:

Nail polish remover
Paints and paint thinners
Lighter fluid
Gasoline
Fireworks
Oxygen bottles
Propane cylinders
Automotive repair and maintenance chemicals
Radio-pharmaceuticals
Matches

Other items not recommended for transport on the van include:

Firearms
Food in glass jars and perishable foods
Prescription drugs needed for immediate use
You just tape up the top of the bottles, pack them in plastic bags and send them in a separate box thereby not risking spillage onto tutus, furniture and leather jackets.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:38 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by avi
What about food grade cake decorating colours can these go in the container?
What you need to check is the labels, if it is flammable or perishable food then no you can't, otherwise it is OK.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:34 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beedubya
What you need to check is the labels, if it is flammable or perishable food then no you can't, otherwise it is OK.
Cool should be able to take them because I use them to colour the icing on top of the celebration cakes I make so I wil buy new ones then and pack them along with shower gel and washing powder cool so this will help us save a bit of money when we first land in april
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You just tape up the top of the bottles, pack them in plastic bags and send them in a separate box thereby not risking spillage onto tutus, furniture and leather jackets.
Have you seen what customs do when they check boxes?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:41 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few of our boxes and packages were checked but other than the tape/plastic wrapping being cut and then re-sealed there wasn't much evidence of any other activity. In fact I got the impression that they didn't examine very closely.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Quite a few of our boxes and packages were checked but other than the tape/plastic wrapping being cut and then re-sealed there wasn't much evidence of any other activity. In fact I got the impression that they didn't examine very closely.
Well customs were pretty rough with our stuff. We saw how it was packed into the container and how it was brought off and they customs even bothered to tape up boxes they'd cut or close the trunk they'd opened. I think it's the luck of the draw and not worth the risk.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:07 pm
Banned

Well customs were pretty rough with our stuff. We saw how it was packed into the container and how it was brought off and they customs even bothered to tape up boxes they'd cut or close the trunk they'd opened. I think it's the luck of the draw and not worth the risk.
On unpacking there were quite a few minor-ish breakages but I put that down to the overall journey that the stuff had to travel. But I agree, with customs it's probably the luck of the draw.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:06 pm
Home Sweet Home

They are one of my former employers.

Not many in the industry will treat your goods with kid gloves like you would treat your own stuff.

I only had a part load when I came back last year and it wasn't inspected at all.

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 9th 2011 at 7:10 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you're allowed to pack toiletries in the container either.
I brought over virtually every product produced by LUSH in our shipping... Maybe I just got lucky, but there was no issue for us.....
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:06 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
I brought over virtually every product produced by LUSH in our shipping... Maybe I just got lucky, but there was no issue for us.....

When I arrived here, in 2006, LUSH were still importing from the UK. It seemed odd buying soap stamped with a label claiming to be made in Dorset!

Seems it's all made locally now though...

S
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
When I arrived here, in 2006, LUSH were still importing from the UK. It seemed odd buying soap stamped with a label claiming to be made in Dorset!

Seems it's all made locally now though...

S
Dont get me started on LUSH... I simply wont buy it now... Only a very few items are actually manufactured in australia... Tokenism in the extreme.... They are still i ported from the uk and other countries...

For a company that sells itself as being eco friendly and bangs on about its carbon foot print it disgusts me that they do this.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:34 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by eddie007
Dont get me started on LUSH... I simply wont buy it now... Only a very few items are actually manufactured in australia... Tokenism in the extreme.... They are still i ported from the uk and other countries...

For a company that sells itself as being eco friendly and bangs on about its carbon foot print it disgusts me that they do this.

Ah, ok. I assumed that since the Made in Dorset stickers had gone, they were producing them locally.

Interesting.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.