Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Old May 13th 2003, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Did I actually read here that some people now may think of emigrating to NZ instead of OZ because of a TV programme!!!

This is incredible, you people seriously need a 6 month working holiday in both countries to make up your minds.
Not particularly helpful advice is it? How do you expect most people to legally or practically do this?
Old May 13th 2003, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I must have missed the best bits, I thought it ws about emigrating to NZ ?????????

Mash...

Originally posted by sputnikspouse
Hi Dean what are you going to be doing in N.Z. are you also buying into a franchise?
we are hoping to go into retail
Old May 13th 2003, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I thought it was good and everyone needs to "breathe in and out...stay calm"!! A woman after my own heart with cleaning and NZ shows very little signs of litter etc (it's all I chunter on about here).
Moving away is a very VERY stressful experience, we did it and you do act irrationally under pressure. All I can say to those who critised Julie is wait until you are in the same situation...it will be nothing like you expect, your emotions will be all over the place and remember the programme is edited for 'dramatic' effect.
Personally I really do wish them lots and lots of luck and hope they keep in touch to let us all know what is happening
Old May 13th 2003, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sofistek
Not particularly helpful advice is it? How do you expect most people to legally or practically do this?
I guess watching a TV show, fantasising about how perfect life there will be, ignoring any facts you dont like is far more sensible.
No wonder so many immigrants end up feeling like they landed on Mars in 1985.

Hey change your TV channel its "Life in the flaming Maldives" Now I bet the pictures of that place alone could attract a few thousand sun starved pommes. Suppose a bloke with a mullet haircut appears in NZ next week and its raining do you all swop Countries again. The Mind boggles.

I am now contemplating making a doco of my life, big cars, big houses, own boss, unlimited internet perks. Nice looking kids, big fluffy dog, live in silly town with Sunshine in the name, bet I could up the immigration to this place in 25 mins minus ads. (as long as it was not raining that day and I did not sport a mullet).

Oh and we have a pool, if I don bikini, spray myself with bisto more points. Koala in tree, treble points, Shrimps on the bb points off the scale. Off to find the video cam.
Old May 13th 2003, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by dotty
I guess watching a TV show, fantasising about how perfect life there will be, ignoring any facts you dont like is far more sensible. [original advice: a 6 month working holiday]
OK, I guess that not answering the question shows that it is, indeed, impractical advice. As others have already noted.

Your advice can only be taken up by very few people, however attractive it might sound. So are you suggesting that those who can't legally get a working holiday visa or who can't, for many practical reasons, spend 6 months in several countries before deciding, should just banish any thoughts of emigrating anywhere?
Old May 13th 2003, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all
firstly thanks to everyone who has stood up for us with the comments made by certain people on this thread. i hope for his sake that he's not considering moving anywhere near us in tauranga.
you are dead right about the stress levels and the way the bbc edit for effect.
julie has been very upset reading this thread so i thought i would reply. no one loves her kids more than my wife and yes it's great coming home to a clean house. it's the last thing i'd want to do after coming home from work.
anyway the whole cleaning issue was a joke with the director as julie told them all off for walking mud through the house when we first met them hence they obviously made a point about the cleaning. my wife probably doesn't clean anymore than most people. Again its creative editing.
we have been together for 13 yrs so i think ian should take that reality check that somebody mentioned and should of had the decency not to be so abusive to people he has never met.
like i said , it seems most of you realised that this was a snapshot of what was and is a very stressful time in our life.
nz is good and we are meeting people and going out. they did film us going out but chose not to show it probably to make out that it can be lonley here.
we needed to move from the rental into a house purchase because our dogs were coming over and none of the rentals would allow dogs. also we didn't want to keep moving the kids around and need them to settle.
yes we did chose to be on the tv program but that doesn't mean that we wouldn't tell the kids off just because there was a camera there.
any way for the messages of support thankyou!
as for the other messages (i think there were 2 people) i think you should realise that this was a tv show so you didn't get to see everything that was going on + don't send such abusive comments when you don't know the full story!
Old May 13th 2003, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Good on you for replying.

I wish yourself and your family the bext if luck in NZ and it doesn`t mean much after most of the comments written, however have watched the whole programme this morning and have to agree with my other half. It was definately the best programme by far and it shows what research and planning can achieve.

Best wishes and enjoy your new lifes.

footie chick
Old May 13th 2003, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Talking

hi i am zoe from the tv program.
i love nz and made lots of new friends.i dont like people talking about my mum she is a great mum and does not clean all day. i am glad i moved to nz it is much better than england and can do more stuff here like go to the beach.
Old May 13th 2003, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by firing1
hi all
firstly thanks to everyone who has stood up for us with the comments made by certain people on this thread.
Now we are getting more of the story, it makes more sense. Getting your dogs over was clearly a major factor in buying a home, when the rented place didn't allow pets. That could be a problem for us, even with only one cat.

Have you sold your Coventry house yet?
Old May 13th 2003, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

not yet ,but interest has picked up and we have until next april to sell it before we have to buy this one.
we had a nice house in england and so wanted a better one here. we didn't work hard to move to nz to be worse off than we were in the uk. we lived in a bedsit 13yrs ago and have worked hard to get where we are now. i wish the bbc could have shown more about what went on but we knew they would pick up on the stressful bits.
Old May 13th 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Lynn W
did'nt hear any difference in their accents steve, sounded like au to me !
For a Pom, the difference is quite subtle, but it seems to me the NZ accent has more that a bit of South African twang to it.

Yis, theuy seem ti tok wid a beet of a Joburg ting!!!!
Old May 13th 2003, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by firing1
hi all
firstly thanks to everyone who has stood up for us with the comments made by certain people on this thread. i hope for his sake that he's not considering moving anywhere near us in tauranga.
you are dead right about the stress levels and the way the bbc edit for effect.
julie has been very upset reading this thread so i thought i would reply. no one loves her kids more than my wife and yes it's great coming home to a clean house. it's the last thing i'd want to do after coming home from work.
anyway the whole cleaning issue was a joke with the director as julie told them all off for walking mud through the house when we first met them hence they obviously made a point about the cleaning. my wife probably doesn't clean anymore than most people. Again its creative editing.
we have been together for 13 yrs so i think ian should take that reality check that somebody mentioned and should of had the decency not to be so abusive to people he has never met.
like i said , it seems most of you realised that this was a snapshot of what was and is a very stressful time in our life.
nz is good and we are meeting people and going out. they did film us going out but chose not to show it probably to make out that it can be lonley here.
we needed to move from the rental into a house purchase because our dogs were coming over and none of the rentals would allow dogs. also we didn't want to keep moving the kids around and need them to settle.
yes we did chose to be on the tv program but that doesn't mean that we wouldn't tell the kids off just because there was a camera there.
any way for the messages of support thankyou!
as for the other messages (i think there were 2 people) i think you should realise that this was a tv show so you didn't get to see everything that was going on + don't send such abusive comments when you don't know the full story!

Good on ya mate. Its incredible that people don't realise that the programme makers dont give a toss about how you are portrayed - its just about entertaining television!

The real dumb-nuts are those two relocators. I wouldn't pay them in washers. Their criticism of you investing in your business and buying the house is unfair. You did what you set out to do, with an appropriate level of enthusiasm, commitment and planning. What did they expect you to do?

If it wasn't for those two turning up on your doorstep in Coventry grinning like a pair of simpletons, your would probably have been able to sell your house before you left, as the majority of us are doing. You took the risk of a double mortgage, so they could make their programme.

Good luck for the future.
Old May 13th 2003, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Ianha77
I totally agree. She already is!

Ian,

1 year olds do NOT run rings around you. There is a world of difference between a child at 1 and one at 4. Believe me. Youve become a parent, and gained wisdom as we all have, which is great, but you still have so much to learn.

So calm down, shut the f@*k up, and listen to others.
Old May 13th 2003, 8:20 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hello

sorry for joining in at the end of a very interesting (and heated) discussion about last night's programme.

I watched with interest as NZ was my original choice but I was ineligible so am heading (hopefully) to Oz. My main criticism was of the male relocator. Everytime the woman said something positive about the fact that the familiy were clear on their reasons for going, organised, and had cash to back them up, the man would come back with the "ah, but I can see the business failing and their house hasn't sold yet - disaster".

In my view this was to try and create a "will they, won't they" aspect to the programme that was not there. The programme was clearly editied to support this, highlighting the difficult days only.

I think the family have an excellent chance of succeeding. Anyone who has ever looked after young children will tell you that it is not easy - especially (I imagine) if one of them manages to get both arms in casts (poor lamb). Julie seemed to cope remarkably well, and I wish all four of the family members the best.

As for the relocators, my advice is "Get a new job!"

Well that's my two pence worth

Mel
Old May 13th 2003, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by mika24me
As for the relocators, my advice is "Get a new job!"
Mel
Don't completely diss the relocators. True, the bloke did nothing except stress the negatives but the woman at least provided some help. She found them their initial rental property, discovered a school open day and checked on various essential services that they needed.

Just as the programme didn't give the full story on the family, it probably didn't give the full story on the relocators' work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.