Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Old Jun 30th 2006, 5:48 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Warm PJ's......warm dressing gown..........flannelette bedding.........blankets..........fluffy slippers.........

Did we mention it gggets ccccold?

Funny that...cos when i was still "on the other side" don't remember readin any posts on this subject.......so just to re-iterate....

BRING WARM STUFF FOR NIGHT-TIMEs!

Hooker xxx
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:26 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Pads minus the wings!

They've all got wings here :scared: ....or is it just the ones at ALDI?

Hooker xx
That's just Aldi. I heard people saying Lilets couldn't be got here but they can, just under a different name.. They're called .... <runs to bathroom> ... 'Carefree'.

Catchy, eh?
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:38 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
That's just Aldi. I heard people saying Lilets couldn't be got here but they can, just under a different name.. They're called .... <runs to bathroom> ... 'Carefree'.

Catchy, eh?
But can you get them with an applicator?
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vanessa
But can you get them with an applicator?

Not that I've seen.

I haven't tried the Tampax here yet. I'll road test them next month.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:41 am

Not that I've seen.

I haven't tried the Tampax here yet. I'll road test them next month.

Can't use Tampax they make me itch terribly - Not pleasant to scratch in public :scared:
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Can't use Tampax they make me itch terribly - Not pleasant to scratch in public :scared:

Oh my!

Well guys do it, so ....
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:45 am

Well guys do it, so ....
Yes but they also pick their nose (some even eat it :scared: ), fart, belch and pick their arse
Old Jun 30th 2006, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Yes but they also pick their nose (some even eat it ), fart, belch and pick their arse :

What's your point then?

Actually, I'd say the toe and bellybutton fluff thing is probably worse.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Jokat will become famous soon enoughJokat will become famous soon enough

Hi, definately bring your front loading washer with you - I bought one here, not impressed. The front loaders here seem to take so much longer to get through a cycle (mine still takes about 50 mins to get through the quick wash programme).
I agree with everything everyone has said about buying up clothing before you come out here, there's no such thing as affordable quality out here. However, not that it matters in the end because your stuff gets spoiled anyway - the water is different, stain removers just don't work (frustrating if you've got grubby kids like me!), and the sun bleaches everything!
Another thing I would bring if I had the chance again would be duvets (they're nowhere near as fluffy if thats the right word!), infact bring lots of bedding. UK stuff is much better quality, even at the cheaper end.
Also vacuum cleaners are better in the UK - I had a small but very powerful Goblin vac that I left behind, and really wish I'd brought it. The one I've got here, although similar in price, dollar for pound, is nowhere near as good!
My advice would be to bring everything but the kitchen sink!
Just a pity you cant bring your mortgage interest rate with you as well!
Old Jul 1st 2006, 6:41 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

I declared my jam and cake etc at customs and said something along the lines of 'My mother thinks I might starve in Australia so she's made all this stuff for me to eat just in case you guys don't know about jam and fruitcake...'

The guy checked it out and gave me a grin, and told me they didn't have any of that stuff in Australia so my mum was as wise as she was a good cook. Then he let me through with it.
LOL, classic! Always great to hear a story about government geezers with a good sense of humour. What a great attitude.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Originally Posted by Jokat
Hi, definately bring your front loading washer with you - I bought one here, not impressed. The front loaders here seem to take so much longer to get through a cycle (mine still takes about 50 mins to get through the quick wash programme).
I agree with everything everyone has said about buying up clothing before you come out here, there's no such thing as affordable quality out here. However, not that it matters in the end because your stuff gets spoiled anyway - the water is different, stain removers just don't work (frustrating if you've got grubby kids like me!), and the sun bleaches everything!
Another thing I would bring if I had the chance again would be duvets (they're nowhere near as fluffy if thats the right word!), infact bring lots of bedding. UK stuff is much better quality, even at the cheaper end.
Also vacuum cleaners are better in the UK - I had a small but very powerful Goblin vac that I left behind, and really wish I'd brought it. The one I've got here, although similar in price, dollar for pound, is nowhere near as good!
My advice would be to bring everything but the kitchen sink!
Just a pity you cant bring your mortgage interest rate with you as well!
Great post,
thought as much re the quality. Can you get 900mm stainless steel cookers, like the range style, as we will probably need to leave ours with selling the house or will leave a huge gap. We were going to buy a new one here to take over but looking at the house plans etc seems most kitchens are built round a normal 600 mm standard cooker n hob. Do you have any advice ?
Thanks
sarah-jayne
Old Jul 1st 2006, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
Great post,
thought as much re the quality. Can you get 900mm stainless steel cookers, like the range style, as we will probably need to leave ours with selling the house or will leave a huge gap. We were going to buy a new one here to take over but looking at the house plans etc seems most kitchens are built round a normal 600 mm standard cooker n hob. Do you have any advice ?
Thanks
sarah-jayne

I had a thread called for oz cooks and there is a bit of information in there. You can get range cookers but are very expensive to but in oz. If i knew hoe to link to the thread i would but im useless at things like that.
Mandy
Old Jul 1st 2006, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
I had a thread called for oz cooks and there is a bit of information in there. You can get range cookers but are very expensive to but in oz. If i knew hoe to link to the thread i would but im useless at things like that.
Mandy
thanks for info,looking like we might take one with us.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

weenie is an unknown quantity at this point

'Here, here!!' I'm off to UK next week to stock up!!!

I don't care what anyone says, Cadbury Dairy milk is NOT the same over here. It has a higher fat content to stop it melting I heard... Anyway, everything else, jam tarts, whatever, you can get here, but UK Cadbury's is much better tasting and I will be bringing a suitcase with me full of it next time I go for a hol to the UK.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

weenie is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought some bananas yesterday from ALDI at $9.99 a kilo .. bargain (ha!)

Hey, I found $12 a kilo the other day Arkon!
I agree, it's nuts to have them so high in price. It really helps no-one because there seem to be plenty in the shops where I am but I guess people must still be buying them at that price otherwise the price would come down... wouldn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.