British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/things-buy-uk-before-leaving-oz-382138/)

psaint7 Jun 29th 2006 10:32 am

Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Hi,

Has anyone got any suggestions on what things to buy in the UK before leaving for Oz??

Thinking of things that may be more expensive or hard to get hold of down under??

Any suggestions welcome

Teliko21 Jun 29th 2006 10:57 am

Re: Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Originally Posted by psaint7
Hi,

Has anyone got any suggestions on what things to buy in the UK before leaving for Oz??

Thinking of things that may be more expensive or hard to get hold of down under??

Any suggestions welcome

Hula Hoops and Cherry Coke :D It's amazing the things you miss :D

it_hooker Jun 29th 2006 11:27 am

Hi,

Any suggestions welcome

Anything you can get your hands on!! Especially bananas!! ;-) It only seems to be electrical stuff here that's cheaper - so if you could pick up an Asda or Tesco store you'd be good!!! Marks and Spencer knickers, chocolate, Garibaldi biscuits, Jam tarts.

thribble Jun 29th 2006 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by it_hooker
Anything you can get your hands on!! Especially bananas!! ;-) It only seems to be electrical stuff here that's cheaper - so if you could pick up an Asda or Tesco store you'd be good!!! Marks and Spencer knickers, chocolate, Garibaldi biscuits, Jam tarts.

M&S tights. Polos. Bananas, if you could bring them in. Certainly eat lots before you come - I paid $5 for 2 the other day :eek:
However, there really isnt' anything over there that you can't get over here.

Except bananas. Did I mention them?

iPom Jun 29th 2006 12:21 pm

I don't care what anyone says, Cadbury Dairy milk is NOT the same over here. It has a higher fat content to stop it melting I heard... :confused: Anyway, everything else, jam tarts, whatever, you can get here, but UK Cadbury's is much better tasting and I will be bringing a suitcase with me full of it next time I go for a hol to the UK.

arkon Jun 29th 2006 12:30 pm

Hi,

Any suggestions welcome

If you like Maltesers bring a ton over with you, they just don't taste anywhere near as good here. As IPom says bring chocolate, the UK stuff tasted much better. M&S socks because they last more than a few weeks. Power distribution blocks 4 or 6 way are essential and like rocking horse sh!t to find here. Walkers sensation crisps, toffee crisps and Dime bars.

psaint7 Jun 29th 2006 12:32 pm

Right then, chocolate is on the list.

As a bloke i'll ignore M&S underwear!

What about clothes in general? Are they generally cheaper or more expensive?

arkon Jun 29th 2006 12:35 pm

Right then, chocolate is on the list.

As a bloke i'll ignore M&S underwear!

What about clothes in general? Are they generally cheaper or more expensive?

I'm a bloke and I meant M&S mens socks and pants. Much better fit, material and longer lasting than any Oz stuff I've found so far. Brought 20 pairs of both back with me on the last trip home. Also trousers don't come in as many inner leg lengths as back home so things like 29 are impossible to find, I currently have turnups! Usefull for catching the insects in.

nicanjoe Jun 29th 2006 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by iPom
I don't care what anyone says, Cadbury Dairy milk is NOT the same over here. It has a higher fat content to stop it melting I heard... :confused: Anyway, everything else, jam tarts, whatever, you can get here, but UK Cadbury's is much better tasting and I will be bringing a suitcase with me full of it next time I go for a hol to the UK.

Nothing to do with the op's original question, but just wanted to mention I'm in Canada, my mums from Scotland and the cadbury Dairy milk is NOT as good here either!!! So there you have it, it's a world wide issue! Mum brings it back when she goes 'home' to visit and there is a big difference, so much better from the UK. Can I get Haagan Daz rocky road?

Nicanjoe

rossifumi Jun 29th 2006 1:15 pm

One of those large shiny steel kitchen waste bins that we threw away for some reason. :rolleyes:

Deer Hunter Jun 29th 2006 1:19 pm

Apparently tampons are a hot item as well :p

hedgehog Jun 29th 2006 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by arkon
If you like Maltesers bring a ton over with you, they just don't taste anywhere near as good here. As IPom says bring chocolate, the UK stuff tasted much better. M&S socks because they last more than a few weeks. Power distribution blocks 4 or 6 way are essential and like rocking horse sh!t to find here. Walkers sensation crisps, toffee crisps and Dime bars.

I've just eaten a toffee crisp it was nice and cold out of the fridge and it was lovely. I'm not going to eat chocolate in Oz I've decided. :)

toon williams Jun 29th 2006 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Apparently tampons are a hot item as well :p

:D :D :D

sparkley23 Jun 29th 2006 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by thribble
M&S tights. Polos. Bananas, if you could bring them in. Certainly eat lots before you come - I paid $5 for 2 the other day :eek:
However, there really isnt' anything over there that you can't get over here.

Except bananas. Did I mention them?

Ok, so what have I missed, what is the deal with bananas being soooo expensive?! Don't they grow them over there? I've seen the Big Banana!

it_hooker Jun 29th 2006 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Ok, so what have I missed, what is the deal with bananas being soooo expensive?! Don't they grow them over there? I've seen the Big Banana!

They had a bit of a breeze blow up in QLD which sank all the banana boats.