Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:17 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

I'm sure The Chairman of the Board at M&S would be really pleased to hear how you all miss their products!!!!!!!!!! I will let them know when I go to work on Monday......C x
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:18 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
No but you could post it on for yourself . If you have an address that is.
Mandy
I know....doesn't that make what the customs people do, look like a total waste of time!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:20 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
I'm sure The Chairman of the Board at M&S would be really pleased to hear how you all miss their products!!!!!!!!!! I will let them know when I go to work on Monday......C x
Get him to introduce M&S international online shopping....that would solve loads of peoples problems

Knickers!!!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I know....doesn't that make what the customs people do, look like a total waste of time!

Absolutly. When we moved from Germany back to the UK, we packed our drinks cabinet with full bottles. the packers had no probs . Even though we were told we couldn't take it.
Mandy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:26 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Get him to introduce M&S international online shopping....that would solve loads of peoples problems

Knickers!!!!
I will suggest it....but don't hold your breath will you......
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Knickers!!!!
No M&S is the top 1 cause of homesickness for Brits in Aus for generations past, My Aunt moved to Melbourne thirty summin years ago and still yearns for m and s underwear. I am stocking up before we go, what a market they would have in Aus, they would make a fortune, stress this to your boss . Its the only downside to Aus from my point of view and it would so make the best xmas , aus has ever seen, just wont be the same without m and s

x sarah-jayne
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:49 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
No M&S is the top 1 cause of homesickness for Brits in Aus for generations past, My Aunt moved to Melbourne thirty summin years ago and still yearns for m and s underwear. I am stocking up before we go, what a market they would have in Aus, they would make a fortune, stress this to your boss . Its the only downside to Aus from my point of view and it would so make the best xmas , aus has ever seen, just wont be the same without m and s

x sarah-jayne
I thought they had some sort of outlet out there as a previous boss [of about 11 years ago] moved out to OZ to develop, mind you this was before the so called 'downfall' of M&S when they closed all overseas franchises..... I will ask about it.......C x
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not allowed to take food stuff through customs
You CAN bring food through Customs, I know I do it in large quantities
Always declare it - I have a list with me which I hand over!! You can't bring fruit, veg, milk products, meat products, fish, that kind of thing. theres a full list on www.aqis.gov.au
But you can certainly bring sealed packets of biscuits, chocolate, sweets, tins of Homepride Sauce Mint Sauce, Bisto, crisps, packets of jelly cubes, Christmas Pudding, cider....and thats just MY luggage!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You CAN bring food through Customs, I know I do it in large quantities
Always declare it - I have a list with me which I hand over!! You can't bring fruit, veg, milk products, meat products, fish, that kind of thing. theres a full list on www.aqis.gov.au
But you can certainly bring sealed packets of biscuits, chocolate, sweets, tins of Homepride Sauce Mint Sauce, Bisto, crisps, packets of jelly cubes, Christmas Pudding, cider....and thats just MY luggage!
Or aye....forgot you could bring sealed stuff

It was the bananas that put me off
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:03 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog
I've just eaten a toffee crisp it was nice and cold out of the fridge and it was lovely. I'm not going to eat chocolate in Oz I've decided.
why not? All the other fat Australians do, do need to fit in if you come here and put on about 10 stone extra!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:06 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Ok, so what have I missed, what is the deal with bananas being soooo expensive?! Don't they grow them over there? I've seen the Big Banana!
A sore topic. the UK that must have huge banana plantations and charge 64p a kilo and you can get them all year round, and this tropical paradise currently $14 a kilo if you can find any. Now what stocks we do have are perishing because they are too expensive to buy!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely agree with the knickers, one thing I would have brought a lot more of, (and white bras), luckily I have a friend arriving next week, who I have known for long enough to be able to ask her to shop for some in the UK for me and bring them with her.

Kids clothes, I think there is a lot more variety in the UK so would stock up.

UK Australia adapters/ for things that you cant easily change the plug on such as playstation/ gameboy adapters etc.

If you have a particular brand of deodorant or toiletry that you use, check whether its available in Oz, I have used the same deodorant for more years than I can remember as I have sensitive skin and you cant get it here. I am trying different brands but some of them make my skin sore.

Of all the foodstuffs, can live with the change in the chocolate taste, it still goes down ok (was hoping it was as revolting as some people led to believe so I could try and lose weight). One thing that stands out is Bisto gravy, so if that is a brand you use, bring some over till you find a replacement here that you like, because some of them are disgusting (I find Greens to be ok here).

Julia
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
One thing that stands out is Bisto gravy, so if that is a brand you use, bring some over till you find a replacement here that you like, because some of them are disgusting (I find Greens to be ok here).

Julia
'Gravox' is supposed to be the alternative, but I heard there is another. I'm sure it began with an 'S' and they said it was made by the same company.

Anyone know which one that was, as it's bugging me now
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Ah yes of course. We import ours though so I'm sure there are enough to go round! Best get chomping on them now, get my potassium levels up!

Britain also gives the banana growing countries HUGE subsidies to compensate for the slave trade it indulged in. THAT'S why British bananas are so cheap. Over here, there are no subsidies, and when hurricane's strike and spoil the crop, the price goes up.

I bought three the other day as a special treat for my kids. LOL ... they were thrilled.

Still this week kiwi fruit are dead cheap, and I picked up a massive pineapple for $3. And pears are lovely right at the moment... Lots of lovely produce that is here instead of the bananas.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring 4-way power strips so you don't have to change so many plugs.

Buy spare fuses for the plugs that you don't change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.