Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:39 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

I believe Bisto is called "Ahhh' over here.

LJJ
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
A sore topic. the UK that must have huge banana plantations and charge 64p a kilo and you can get them all year round, and this tropical paradise currently $14 a kilo if you can find any. Now what stocks we do have are perishing because they are too expensive to buy!

Hey, I found $12 a kilo the other day Arkon!
I agree, it's nuts to have them so high in price. It really helps no-one because there seem to be plenty in the shops where I am but I guess people must still be buying them at that price otherwise the price would come down... wouldn't it?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
No M&S is the top 1 cause of homesickness for Brits in Aus for generations past, My Aunt moved to Melbourne thirty summin years ago and still yearns for m and s underwear. I am stocking up before we go, what a market they would have in Aus, they would make a fortune, stress this to your boss . Its the only downside to Aus from my point of view and it would so make the best xmas , aus has ever seen, just wont be the same without m and s

x sarah-jayne

I stocked up before we came, promptly lost a load of weight and now I can't wear them. I'll eBay the unworn still in packet ones I guess.
I like Bond's underwear here for ladies, plus Holeproof, but I think Bond's is better. I don't have a problem with bras and things because I go to Myer and get them there. Myer is about the equivelent of M+S and I see no difference in the quality or the price.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wren
Well I wouldn't want any UK cadbury's at the moment... they are recalling massive amounts of it as it has been infected with salmonella :scared:

Ooops!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:48 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, bring some elecrical extension leads the ones with 4-6 plug outlets, you can then just stick an Oz plug on it and use your UK appliances, great for the study with computers, printers etc,
I got stacks of stuff with uk plugs,
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
Were waiting on visa 137 hoepfully here soooooooon!!!!!!, however, Since our last holiday I noticed that clothes are not in the same league. I have 2 girls so i have bought practically ever summer outfit possible from NEXT. Through the directory of course. When Next does their summer sale at end of July, iam going credit card fantastic. It seems a bit obsessive but if you want good quality clothes which wash good and look cute, stock up. Even their high street designer stuff is like our everyday casual stuff like geroge at asda.

Hope this helps.x
Myer sale. Kids stuff is gorgeous. I am always spoilt for choice. They also do 15% and 20% off days every few weeks. Recently bought hub shirt, sports top and body warmer thing for under $100. Thought that was pretty good really.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Not allowed to take food stuff through customs

Yes, you can as long as they can have a look at it. No egg products, but chocolate is fine. I have bought in home made jam, a huge fruit cake as a christmas gift from my mum etc and once I sent through a whole Lancashire cheese which was huge. Quarantine kept it for a couple of days (probably slicing bits off!) and then let it through. The cheese was a few years back so prob wouldn't succeed now though.

I declared my jam and cake etc at customs and said something along the lines of 'My mother thinks I might starve in Australia so she's made all this stuff for me to eat just in case you guys don't know about jam and fruitcake...'

The guy checked it out and gave me a grin, and told me they didn't have any of that stuff in Australia so my mum was as wise as she was a good cook. Then he let me through with it.
There are many things you can bring through but it depends on how they are presented and packaged, and which country they have come from or through.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiels
I'm sure The Chairman of the Board at M&S would be really pleased to hear how you all miss their products!!!!!!!!!! I will let them know when I go to work on Monday......C x

It's no good. I've written before. They told me it wasn't cost effective 'at this time'.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I always used to buy hubby the dirt cheap Tesco jeans £3 for work use and the £1 t-shirts. I can't find anything really dirt cheap like that here. Oh and soccerworld usually have £3-£5 Diadora joggers during the sale, I can't find those that cheap either.

If you want a good quality front loading washing machine and tumble drier then bring them over. Not that there is anything wrong with quality here but it is more expensive and some guy in a shop the other day was telling us that the Bosch washing machines here are made in Asia. I brought my German made one over. Wish I had brought a tumble drier as well as they are much more expensive here.

The call the Bisto gravy granules Soooo! Gravy. I'm looking at a tub right now
Old Jun 30th 2006, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sunbather
If you want a good quality front loading washing machine and tumble drier then bring them over. Not that there is anything wrong with quality here but it is more expensive and some guy in a shop the other day was telling us that the Bosch washing machines here are made in Asia. I brought my German made one over. Wish I had brought a tumble drier as well as they are much more expensive here.

Sunbather, I see no difference in the price of a good washing machine here at my local Retravision or whatever. KMart has top loaders on sale nearly every week. Westinghouse is also a good brand and made in Australia out Dubbo/Orange way, so supporting the economy and all that. I guess it depends on whether you wait for the sales or you buy top brands at Myer (which is waaay more expensive than local Retravision etc stores).

Not only that, but depending on where you are going to be in Aus, some places have more accessability than others. I have good choice here, but I suspect those like Arkon maybe and others who are a bit 'back of beyond' have limited availability.
All things to consider if you're coming here to live.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:45 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

If you have kids - especially babies - then stock up on baby clothes, especially bodysuits/babygrows/sleepsuits as I have found them much more expensive over here than in the UK. I bought one short sleeved body suit in K-Mart the other day for the $7.99 I would have paid £5/6 for a 7 pack in Asda.

Also, if you like Hot English Mustard, bring Colemans. Being an Aussie, I can't stand the stuff, but my husband says the brands you get over here are not a patch on Colemans (speaking of which, has anyone managed to find any in Perth?).

Re:chocolate - I read the other day that someone said the two main factors of childhood nostalgia are sweets/lollies and TV. Well, I can say i've never enjoyed my chocolate so much as I do now I am back home in Australia. I couldn't stand Cadbury's in the UK . But if you're a true chocolate lover, nothing can beat Lindt, Milka or the other European chocolates.

Michelle
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:49 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Oh, and re-comfy Knickers has anyone tried the Holeproof "The Knicker" brand? I think they are the most comfy knickers I have every worn - I've seen them in Kmart, Target Big W etc. The g-strings with the lace feel like you're wearing nothing (TMI? Sorry!) as are the briefs. You can also buy fuller Bridget jones-style knickers too (not my scene but some might like them).

Michelle
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michellemac
If you have kids - especially babies - then stock up on baby clothes, especially bodysuits/babygrows/sleepsuits as I have found them much more expensive over here than in the UK. I bought one short sleeved body suit in K-Mart the other day for the $7.99 I would have paid £5/6 for a 7 pack in Asda.

Also, if you like Hot English Mustard, bring Colemans. Being an Aussie, I can't stand the stuff, but my husband says the brands you get over here are not a patch on Colemans (speaking of which, has anyone managed to find any in Perth?).

Re:chocolate - I read the other day that someone said the two main factors of childhood nostalgia are sweets/lollies and TV. Well, I can say i've never enjoyed my chocolate so much as I do now I am back home in Australia. I couldn't stand Cadbury's in the UK . But if you're a true chocolate lover, nothing can beat Lindt, Milka or the other European chocolates.

Michelle
My husband also likes his mustard and I have been buying Masterfoods hot english mustard, he says its on a par with colemans. Available from Woolies. M
Old Jun 30th 2006, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I'm a bloke and I meant M&S mens socks and pants. Much better fit, material and longer lasting than any Oz stuff I've found so far. Brought 20 pairs of both back with me on the last trip home. Also trousers don't come in as many inner leg lengths as back home so things like 29 are impossible to find, I currently have turnups! Usefull for catching the insects in.

My oh has to have his socks shipped out - they are the ones you can only buy in the army reserve shops and cost about 12 pound a pair - but they last for yonks
Old Jun 30th 2006, 5:43 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Apparently tampons are a hot item as well
Pads minus the wings!

They've all got wings here :scared: ....or is it just the ones at ALDI?

Hooker xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.