Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Ok, so what have I missed, what is the deal with bananas being soooo expensive?! Don't they grow them over there? I've seen the Big Banana!
The crop up in Queensland was destroyed a few months ago by Hurricane something. Sorry, it is too late for me to remember names!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Teliko21
The crop up in Queensland was destroyed a few months ago by Hurricane something. Sorry, it is too late for me to remember names!!
Ah yes of course. We import ours though so I'm sure there are enough to go round! Best get chomping on them now, get my potassium levels up!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psaint7
Hi,

Has anyone got any suggestions on what things to buy in the UK before leaving for Oz??

Thinking of things that may be more expensive or hard to get hold of down under??

Any suggestions welcome

Knorr ham stock cubes im lost without them and if you dont want them then please send them to me lol
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iPom
I don't care what anyone says, Cadbury Dairy milk is NOT the same over here. It has a higher fat content to stop it melting I heard... Anyway, everything else, jam tarts, whatever, you can get here, but UK Cadbury's is much better tasting and I will be bringing a suitcase with me full of it next time I go for a hol to the UK.

Well I wouldn't want any UK cadbury's at the moment... they are recalling massive amounts of it as it has been infected with salmonella :scared:
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Were waiting on visa 137 hoepfully here soooooooon!!!!!!, however, Since our last holiday I noticed that clothes are not in the same league. I have 2 girls so i have bought practically ever summer outfit possible from NEXT. Through the directory of course. When Next does their summer sale at end of July, iam going credit card fantastic. It seems a bit obsessive but if you want good quality clothes which wash good and look cute, stock up. Even their high street designer stuff is like our everyday casual stuff like geroge at asda.

Hope this helps.x
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:32 pm
bjw
Forum Regular

bjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nice

A lady after my own heart!

I to will be at the next summer sale which should be 21st/22nd July to buy up all the summer bargains! usually my hubby goes and queues with all the mad woman at 5am! He spends about £600 and then comes home. we do a big try on and then £550 goes back 2 days later! Bless him he just loves the battles with the woman over the clothes!

Bec
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bjw
A lady after my own heart!

I to will be at the next summer sale which should be 21st/22nd July to buy up all the summer bargains! usually my hubby goes and queues with all the mad woman at 5am! He spends about £600 and then comes home. we do a big try on and then £550 goes back 2 days later! Bless him he just loves the battles with the woman over the clothes!

Bec

Lol, thats just like us. But it may seem mad at the time, but when your in aus for your first summer, everyone will complement your attire and even want to feel your material and ask, did you bring that with you?. Even a good idea to buy vases and photo frames etc from next home as far more modern designs than the aus stuff just now.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

another piece of advice for the ladies, if anyone is planning a future pregnancy in aus, take some baby goods over from uk, such as mamas and papas nursery interiors. Forward thinking, but the baby products are very basic and styles as fairly old fashioned, plus other than target baby, there is no mothercare or mamas and papas stores, just little shops or supermarkets, department stores selling them etc.

in case anyone is feeling broody.

x
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Originally Posted by wren
Well I wouldn't want any UK cadbury's at the moment... they are recalling massive amounts of it as it has been infected with salmonella :scared:
Apparently the new "Salmonella" flavoured bar was not as popular as focus groups had suggested.

Look out for the new "CJV" and "Bird Flu" bars next year.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Things to buy in UK before leaving for Oz

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
another piece of advice for the ladies, if anyone is planning a future pregnancy in aus, take some baby goods over from uk, such as mamas and papas nursery interiors. Forward thinking, but the baby products are very basic and styles as fairly old fashioned, plus other than target baby, there is no mothercare or mamas and papas stores, just little shops or supermarkets, department stores selling them etc.

in case anyone is feeling broody.

x
BabyShop Online.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

had a look, but its just not got the same amount of gear as we have , and definately, interiors are not in the same league.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Apparently the new "Salmonella" flavoured bar was not as popular as focus groups had suggested.

Look out for the new "CJV" and "Bird Flu" bars next year.

Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thribble
M&S tights. Polos. Bananas, if you could bring them in. Certainly eat lots before you come - I paid $5 for 2 the other day
However, there really isnt' anything over there that you can't get over here.

Except bananas. Did I mention them?
Chomping on a banana right now, mmmm. Bought 1.5kg's today and paid a mere £1.29
Will stuff my face silly with all the fruit I can get right now, the stores here are well stocked. Making the most of it until our departure in November.

Thinking of you all....

Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:04 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by it_hooker
Anything you can get your hands on!! Especially bananas!! ;-) It only seems to be electrical stuff here that's cheaper - so if you could pick up an Asda or Tesco store you'd be good!!! Marks and Spencer knickers, chocolate, Garibaldi biscuits, Jam tarts.
Not allowed to take food stuff through customs
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Not allowed to take food stuff through customs

No but you could post it on for yourself . If you have an address that is.
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.