Tasmania??

Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Tassiedevil35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tasmania??

H Cathy

My hubby got a spending fine of $80 and 1 Demerit point on his licence.Not bad considering hes an ex driving instructor and never had any point on his UK licence and never got a spending fine in the 21 years hes been driving!
You do see alot police here but most of them are in unmarked cars! Thats how they get you spending!!!!
The Car Tax depends on the price of the car we paid $13000 for our car and the Tax on that was about $400.

Sam
(Tassiedevil35)
xxx

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Sam, how much are the parking tickets over there?
do you see a lot of police about? i do recall seeing a couple of police cars when we were on the Island but didn't take much notice really....although we definitely noticed a lot more in Perth - as they seemed to be doing a lot of random pull-overs on the road..
whilst talking about cars - how much is car tax over there?

Cathy
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tassiedevil35
Hi all

And thanks for the Welcome!

First of all i was born here in Tassie, but left when i was 9 to move to the Gold Coast i lived there for 4 years before my parents decided to move back to the UK,( i lived in SE London) We (meaning my hubby and the kids) came out here back in July 03 and my hubby feel in love with the place so we came back again in Oct.04 to see if it was what we really wanted to do ( to move here) And we decided yea it was . But saying that it has changed so much in the last 4/5 years.
Everything from the house prices to the price of food , which i did expect to go up but not as much as it has!
As for the Schooling here well where do i start with that???????
I think it depends on what school u decide to send your kids to but the only advice i will give you is to have a good look at the schools and what it offers your child!

I could go on all day about the down falls of Tassie but that wont help some people reading this thread. Unfortunately it hasnt worked for us!

But on the other hand Tasmania is the most beautiful place i have ever been, with the mountains( which at the moment has snow on!) and land and Vine yards......

As for the amount of time it took to ship all our things over .....it took 9 weeks! Hope this helps!

Sam
(Tassiedevil35)
xx
Hi Sam

Sorry to hear things aren't going so well for you. Would you consider else where in Oz before returning to the UK?

I know what you mean about the cost of living, we have been very surprised at how much many things are. I'm getting used to where to go for the best bargains but I think I was spoilt in the UK with Tesco's always cutting their prices etc!

If we return to the UK (and it is a possibility) it will be because of money, OH is earning half what he had in the UK but houses etc are not half the price are they? I have not started work yet as wanted to settle my children in first but will need to get something soon.

Where are your children going to school, we are over in Blackmans Bay and I was quite impressed with the schools we looked at over in this area. They seem to have settled very quickly although I have noticed that my 12 year old is not being stretched particularly, so will keep an eye on that.

Have you made plans to return to the UK or still mulling it over. Every week I have at least one day when I want to go home but then I realise I don't have a home anymore Rest of the week I love it here and feel really positive

Sam
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:25 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Glad the drum making went well! It did sound like a good weekend so i'm not surprised you both enjoyed it. What was the Indian guy that taught you like? I bet he was a character?
Do the drums smell a bit until they're dry? - silly question i know but just wondered if they smell like that "new leather" smell!

Cathy
Hiya he was fantastic really great guy turns out he doesnt live that far from us so hopefully we will meet again soon the hides came from the mainland and had been treated and didnt really smell because they hadnt dried, however after you have cut your round and 9 metres of string... yep 9 METRES!! then you have to wash it to get the chemicals out after that it smelt a little but of flesh not leather not overpowering though.

out of one hide we got 2 rounds for the skin of the drum and 18 metres of string. the string is used to thread the skin around the drum and tie it up and the back.

to be honest when I first saw the hides I was upset I didnt think I could handle them but then it dawned on me that this animal still had a purpose and it will be a beautiful instrument for years to come

there was a lot of meditation and spiritual awareness during the weekend it was really life changing ... sounds corny but true.

it was held in Forth which is near Devonport is a beautiful place we were in the woods with a river running through full of wildlife and birds, saw lots of scarlet robins and splendid wrens, fab place
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:36 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

First of all i was born here in Tassie, but left when i was 9 to move to the Gold Coast i lived there for 4 years before my parents decided to move back to the UK,( i lived in SE London) We (meaning my hubby and the kids) came out here back in July 03 and my hubby feel in love with the place so we came back again in Oct.04 to see if it was what we really wanted to do ( to move here) And we decided yea it was . But saying that it has changed so much in the last 4/5 years.
Everything from the house prices to the price of food , which i did expect to go up but not as much as it has!
I think it depends on what school u decide to send your kids to but the only advice i will give you is to have a good look at the schools and what it offers your child!

I could go on all day about the down falls of Tassie but that wont help some people reading this thread. Unfortunately it hasnt worked for us!

But on the other hand Tasmania is the most beautiful place i have ever been, with the mountains( which at the moment has snow on!) and land and Vine yards......

As for the amount of time it took to ship all our things over .....it took 9 weeks! Hope this helps!

Sam
(Tassiedevil35)
xx
Hi Sam sorry to hear things aren't too good at the moment we also saw a big difference when we arrived, it was 2003 when we last visited and house prices especially down south had gone crazy, they are just not worth the money.

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi Sam

Sorry to hear things aren't going so well for you. Would you consider else where in Oz before returning to the UK?

I know what you mean about the cost of living, we have been very surprised at how much many things are. I'm getting used to where to go for the best bargains but I think I was spoilt in the UK with Tesco's always cutting their prices etc!

If we return to the UK (and it is a possibility) it will be because of money, OH is earning half what he had in the UK but houses etc are not half the price are they? I have not started work yet as wanted to settle my children in first but will need to get something soon.

Where are your children going to school, we are over in Blackmans Bay and I was quite impressed with the schools we looked at over in this area. They seem to have settled very quickly although I have noticed that my 12 year old is not being stretched particularly, so will keep an eye on that.

Have you made plans to return to the UK or still mulling it over. Every week I have at least one day when I want to go home but then I realise I don't have a home anymore Rest of the week I love it here and feel really positive

Sam
I too cannot get over how expensive the food is, I said this a few years ago on this site and got hounded for it but you I would not have come here without some money behind us we just would not have been able to survive. I still maintain that.

Col is near enough earning what he did back in the UK but the cost of living is much higher here.

not just food and clothes but everything, I go to an Art class near by and the tutor has come from the mainland she is astounded by the prices is Tas just compared to over there, a tube of a particular brand of paint cost her $2 in NSW it is $10 here!!

the homesickness does get easier, I wanted to go home the day we arrived in Hobart its much easier now
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Hi All, we are back from our trip to Spain where it was 41 degrees plus each day and 34 plus each night!!!!! bit of a shock to get back to Blighty to the weather!!!! Poor OH is ill in bed, day 5 now, with salmonella he got it 3 days before we came back so ruined the last part of hol, first part was ruined with my litte boy getting an ear infection!!!! bit of a bummer really but hey ho and all that!!!!!

Just caught up on the threads, so a big hello to the newbie Tassiedevil, can understand exactly where you are coming from as the cost of living was one the reasons we decided to come back to the UK. It is true though that you do get slated on this site for mentioning things about cost of living etc, after a few slatings I decided that you can but advise and let people make their own choices. Are you defo coming back to the UK or will you move elsewhere in Oz?

Kathy, any news on putting your house back on the market? Lenmil, is there no way you can just rent your place in the UK out and go back to Tas and just rent there till the housing market in the UK pics up? Sam great to hear you are still enjoying it?

Kezza, the snow sounds great, its good to know there is more than just one ski place in Tas and OH and I do like skiing, although not been with the dustbin lids, know H will love it!!!!

Love C x
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi all

Sam
(Tassiedevil35)
xx
Hi Sam , i think all the concerns/things that aren't making you happy i've heard other people say. It does all worry us a little, but i think if we dont try Tas for ourselves then it would be a decision that we'd possibly always regret. The money side of things is a bit worrying as we're used to having spare cash to spend and when we arrive in Tas - especially if we eventually buy a property we certainly wont have any spare money each month with what Andy my OH is potentially going to earn.
Whereabouts in SE London did you live? are you planning to return back to the same area?
Cathy
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

H Cathy

My hubby got a spending fine of $80 and 1 Demerit point on his licence.Not bad considering hes an ex driving instructor and never had any point on his UK licence and never got a spending fine in the 21 years hes been driving!
You do see alot police here but most of them are in unmarked cars! Thats how they get you spending!!!!
The Car Tax depends on the price of the car we paid $13000 for our car and the Tax on that was about $400.

Sam
(Tassiedevil35)
xxx
Sounds similar prices to over here then for the car tickets and tax! My younger brother is contesting a car park fine at the moment with our local council. He belongs to the same gym as we do - and you have to pay to park if you drive there - because it's a multi-storey carpark in the centre of Romford where we live and not just the gym's carpark. Anyway, the ticket machine unbeknown to my brother re-sets itself at 8am everyday. He arrived at 6.30am - paid for what he thought was 2 hours parking....came back to his car at 8.20am and had a £50 ticket waiting for him as the ticket he had was allegedly for the day before!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi Sam

Sam

Hey Sam, do you seriously think you might return to the UK? not in the near future i hope ? you cant come back before i've even got there!

How much do you think you're spending on shopping each week for the 4 of you compared to what you did back here?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:33 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Food prices in Tassie are shocking. I could not bleive how much it was going up. I was there 8 months and most stuff had gone up by 50 cents then a dollar (roughly) It's way cheaper in the UK but saying that the price of petrol here is a shocker too. But i miss the clean air, the sceanery (i know you can't eat it, i said that about NZ too) and the not so busy roads.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Possums
Hiya he was fantastic really great guy turns out he doesnt live that far from us so hopefully we will meet again soon the hides came from the mainland and had been treated and didnt really smell because they hadnt dried, however after you have cut your round and 9 metres of string... yep 9 METRES!! then you have to wash it to get the chemicals out after that it smelt a little but of flesh not leather not overpowering though.

out of one hide we got 2 rounds for the skin of the drum and 18 metres of string. the string is used to thread the skin around the drum and tie it up and the back.

to be honest when I first saw the hides I was upset I didnt think I could handle them but then it dawned on me that this animal still had a purpose and it will be a beautiful instrument for years to come

there was a lot of meditation and spiritual awareness during the weekend it was really life changing ... sounds corny but true.

it was held in Forth which is near Devonport is a beautiful place we were in the woods with a river running through full of wildlife and birds, saw lots of scarlet robins and splendid wrens, fab place

Hi Sounds like you had a great time - and are now an expert at making drums!
I'm glad the hides didn't smell too bad. I was curious as to whether they smelt as i'd watched a TV programme not too long ago about the dying of leather - it was based in Morocco and the place where the hides were soaked the smell apparently took this guy's breath away!
Me and some friends met a great American Indian guy when we went to the Grand Canyon a few years back. He drew a picture of an American Indian on a piece of rock from the Grand Canyon and i still have it now - he signed and dated it for us too...
Did you take any pictures whilst you were there? if so, pop them on your gallery as i'd love to see them....

Cathy

Last edited by travelbug; Aug 19th 2008 at 9:04 am.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bishop3912
Hi All, we are back from our trip to Spain where it was 41 degrees plus each day and 34 plus each night!!!!! bit of a shock to get back to Blighty to the weather!!!! Poor OH is ill in bed, day 5 now, with salmonella he got it 3 days before we came back so ruined the last part of hol, first part was ruined with my litte boy getting an ear infection!!!! bit of a bummer really but hey ho and all that!!!!!

Just caught up on the threads, so a big hello to the newbie Tassiedevil, can understand exactly where you are coming from as the cost of living was one the reasons we decided to come back to the UK. It is true though that you do get slated on this site for mentioning things about cost of living etc, after a few slatings I decided that you can but advise and let people make their own choices. Are you defo coming back to the UK or will you move elsewhere in Oz?

Kathy, any news on putting your house back on the market? Lenmil, is there no way you can just rent your place in the UK out and go back to Tas and just rent there till the housing market in the UK pics up? Sam great to hear you are still enjoying it?

Kezza, the snow sounds great, its good to know there is more than just one ski place in Tas and OH and I do like skiing, although not been with the dustbin lids, know H will love it!!!!

Love C x
Hi Corinne, just a tiny bit hot over there then! Hope you had a fan or airconditioning for the night time - otherwise i'd be surprised if you managed to sleep in that heat!
Sorry to hear that Mark has food-poisining and that one of your boys had an ear-infection. Do you have a pool? It's very common isn't it for kids to get them on holiday. I once went away and there was about a dozen kids with an ear-infection all in the same hotel. Hope you all managed to enjoy the holiday before the illnesses struck though.

I dont think people should get slated for saying anything about Tas on this site.....personally i like to hear all the pro's & con's. Everywhere has them, be it Australia or the UK - it's a case of weighing up what they are and i guess trying to gage how they're going to affect us all as each family is so different. I've enjoyed hearing everyone's updates...

Our house isn't back on the market as yet. To be honest we're being a bit lazy at the moment with getting the house ship shape for when the agent comes round. We have done some work on the garden and Andy did a few things on Sunday, but we have a busy weekend planned for the bank holiday weekend coming - catching up with friends etc so it's possible that we wont get an agent around till the weekend after.... Otherwise we know what will happen - we'd sign with Beresfords on the Saturday morning/lunchtime - and then they'd ring later that day with someone to come round the very next day, which is what they tend to do around here....i think to make them look good initially! We're not holding out much hope of selling quickly to be honest - i have a feeling we'll still be here come Christmas this year - which is not something we're looking forward to!

Anyway, enough of us - how are you feeling lately? getting a little bump yet?
Not wanting to be horrible to Mark - but it's a good job it wasn't you really that got the salmonella....

Cathy
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Food prices in Tassie are shocking. I could not bleive how much it was going up. I was there 8 months and most stuff had gone up by 50 cents then a dollar (roughly) It's way cheaper in the UK but saying that the price of petrol here is a shocker too. But i miss the clean air, the sceanery (i know you can't eat it, i said that about NZ too) and the not so busy roads.
This is what Andy my OH keeps saying, that a beautiful destination will come at a price. I guess the same applies to the Caribbean Islands i wouldnt mind living on - we couldn't afford the cost of living on those either!
it is shocking though i think how much extra food does cost in Australia - including the mainland compared to here.
Andy's niece from Perth that's now living over here for two years (she's been here a few week's now) - hasn't stopped shopping since getting here - they were amazed at the cost of shoes as well as the food/clothes shopping...but then we were doing a cost comparison on things like rent & council tax & utility bills etc and Oz did win on some things i guess....
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

We really struggled when we first came, battling with high food prices etc. But luckily for us Duncan's wages are actually more here than the UK so after about 3-4 months we had it sorted. I know it isn't always the same for some professions though, so can understand where you're coming from.

OMG Corinne please give Mark our love, in my younger days I had a holiday in Majorca and came back with Salmonella poisoning, it's very nasty. I came very close to being hospitalized, but luckily started eating and keeping it down just in time. I went down to 6 stone, the doctor was really concerned there for a while. I hope he kicks it soon. You have to be very careful with the kids and yourself too, as you can get it off him if your not careful. Make sure he has a bottle of dettol to clean up after himself and make sure the kids wash their hands regularly. The thing with Salmonella is it stays in your stomach even after you've gotten over it, so if he is ever ill again you have to be very careful to clean up properly afterwards. I know this shit cos I was working at Macca's at the time and the Dept. of health and environment were all over me when I contracted it. I had to leave it 5 days after I was well before I was allowed back to work and my brother was even taken out of the Bakery in Tesco's, as he was a baker there at the time. It's serious stuff. I hope he gets well soon.

Kerry
X (this one is for Mark X) on the cheek of course
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kezzabird
We really struggled when we first came, battling with high food prices etc. But luckily for us Duncan's wages are actually more here than the UK so after about 3-4 months we had it sorted. I know it isn't always the same for some professions though, so can understand where you're coming from.

OMG Corinne please give Mark our love, in my younger days I had a holiday in Majorca and came back with Salmonella poisoning, it's very nasty. I came very close to being hospitalized, but luckily started eating and keeping it down just in time. I went down to 6 stone, the doctor was really concerned there for a while. I hope he kicks it soon. You have to be very careful with the kids and yourself too, as you can get it off him if your not careful. Make sure he has a bottle of dettol to clean up after himself and make sure the kids wash their hands regularly. The thing with Salmonella is it stays in your stomach even after you've gotten over it, so if he is ever ill again you have to be very careful to clean up properly afterwards. I know this shit cos I was working at Macca's at the time and the Dept. of health and environment were all over me when I contracted it. I had to leave it 5 days after I was well before I was allowed back to work and my brother was even taken out of the Bakery in Tesco's, as he was a baker there at the time. It's serious stuff. I hope he gets well soon.

Kerry
X (this one is for Mark X) on the cheek of course

Nasty bacteria old Salmonella....Did you know that the animals you're most likely to catch it from if handled and you dont wash your hands are reptiles - ie, lizards,turtles & snakes and more commonly small birds like chickens
as they hold the bacteria in their poo and that's what's often transferred to food being eaten by other people....
Some people are not allowed back to work until they've done a stool test and it comes back clear....
Corinne should get some of that anti-bacterial handgel stuff....that's good for getting rid of most germs nowadays....and easy for the kids to use too as you dont need to use water with it.
Hospitals are increasing the usage of the gels etc for visitors and patients (my Dad was recently given an anti-bacterial shower gel by the London Chest Hospital when he arrived and told to shower in it) which is a good thing although i doubt it'll stop the MRSA bugs etc....
Anyway, drifting off a bit from the original subjects here (Sorry Corinne!)...

Cathy
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:48 pm
(^v^)

Hi Sounds like you had a great time - and are now an expert at making drums!
I'm glad the hides didn't smell too bad. I was curious as to whether they smelt as i'd watched a TV programme not too long ago about the dying of leather - it was based in Morocco and the place where the hides were soaked the smell apparently took this guy's breath away!
Me and some friends met a great American Indian guy when we went to the Grand Canyon a few years back. He drew a picture of an American Indian on a piece of rock from the Grand Canyon and i still have it now - he signed and dated it for us too...
Did you take any pictures whilst you were there? if so, pop them on your gallery as i'd love to see them....

Cathy
LOL no I'm no expert, I didnt take any photos I'd forgot my camera but others did and will be sending some so I'll let you see them

Oh I would love to see the grand canyon, hopefully next year as my nephew is getting married ... he lives in L.A and is talking of getting married in Vegas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.