Reload this Page >

see'ing the uk in a different light

see'ing the uk in a different light

Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:17 am
Badge

Default Re: see'ing the uk in a different light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Lighten up, we cant have any bad publicity can we

Many people have pointed out the UK has less dramatic temp variations than here, I think some in the past have even done graphs n charts
There's a hole in my bucket dear lisa, dear lisa....

Indeed.

However - extremes is one thing as you say. You were the one who brought up the 48 extremes not anyone else. I would rather have extremes than ordinary averages - wtf - who cares - it doesn't matter. The original poster was mature , questioning and insightful not another naive, misinformed poster. This is what gets my goat - the constant lets have an argument and aren't people stupid.

My dear fellow poster, I think you could do with lightening up at times..

It has nothing to do with bad publicity - Australia will carry on to get migration. Australia hardly needs to block the floodgates of inflow. We don't post to say that Australia is paradise - we post because we are bored with sensationalism and vitriol.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 19th 2005 at 8:19 am.

Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:21 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Lighten up, we cant have any bad publicity can we

Many people have pointed out the UK has less dramatic temp variations than here, I think some in the past have even done graphs n charts
Picture yourself by a 4WD on a salt lake, bogged to the chassis under a noon sun and miles to the shore. No tangerine trees or marmalade skies - yet. Fifty degrees and your getting sunburnt under the chin. Away in the distance mallee sticks and a blunt axe are the only salvation.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge

Indeed.

However - extremes is one thing as you say. You were the one who brought up the 48 extremes not anyone else. I would rather have extremes than ordinary averages - wtf - who cares - it doesn't matter. The original poster was mature , questioning and insightful not another naive, misinformed poster. This is what gets my goat - the constant lets have an argument and aren't people stupid.

It has nothing to do with bad publicity - Australia will carry on to get migration. Australia hardly needs to block the floodgates of inflow. We don't post to say that Australia is paradise - we post because we are bored with sensationalism and vitriol.

Badge
The OP isnt offended by my post, you are. It merely ponted out OZ gets a bigger range of temps than the UK, it never said they were day to day temps, that was assumed by the defensive.

Suggest everyone takes a trip outback and would understand WTF as you put it I am talking about.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
Picture yourself by a 4WD on a salt lake, bogged to the chassis under a noon sun and miles to the shore. No tangerine trees or marmalade skies - yet. Fifty degrees and your getting sunburnt under the chin. Away in the distance mallee sticks and a blunt axe are the only salvation.

A sight you dont get in the suburbs, everyone should experience it.

Careful mind temps can range from -5 in winter to 55 in summer

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 19th 2005 at 8:49 am.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

The OP isnt offended by my post, you are. It merely ponted out OZ gets a bigger range of temps than the UK, it never said they were day to day temps, that was assumed by the defensive.

Suggest everyone takes a trip outback and would understand WTF as you put it I am talking about.

I lived out there for 4 years, I think I do know WTF Im talking about.

Looks like the UK gets a large range of temps to me, of course maybe the fact that Australia is almost 32 times the size of the UK so covers a much larger diversity of climate from tropical rainforest to desert has something to do with the differences in temps as well.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jun 19th 2005 at 8:51 am.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:49 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Unfortunately for those in the suburbs a sight they will never see, or feel, tickets to dreamworld more popular. Again -5 in winter 55 in summer

Now picture yourself on a wide open plateaux, the stars a hand's breadth away. A night of dashing for firewood 'tween tossing and turning. The morning's glow reveals the water tap frost broken and the water draining away.

Roll up
Roll up for the mystery tour
Roll up
Roll up (and that's an invitation)
Roll up (to make a reservation)

Magical Mystery Tour

Some like it.

Last edited by Megalania; Jun 19th 2005 at 8:51 am.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I lived out there for 4 years, I think I do know WTF Im talking about.

Looks like the UK gets a large range of temps to me, of course maybe the fact that Australia is almost 32 times the size of the UK so covers a much larger diversity of climate has something to do with it the differences in temps as well.

Bemused by the over reaction to what I said

NOTHING I said was in any way negative to Australia nor was it nasty to anyone. Big read something into somethng thats not there reaction.

All I said was OZ has very diverse temps, and thats true, no need for the lynch mob to pull out the hang man.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Badge

Indeed.

Badge
thanks badge as you can see from post count i dont tend to post just any old drivel i use forums to gain information not to tell the world that a magpie just landed on our bird table and scared the 2 sparrows away.....get my drift.

so after 4 pages of response.........................should i go to oz or enjoy the comfort zone which we have got ourselves into after 16 years hard graft...
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:24 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Bemused by the over reaction to what I said

NOTHING I said was in any way negative to Australia nor was it nasty to anyone. Big read something into somethng thats not there reaction.

All I said was OZ has very diverse temps, and thats true, no need for the lynch mob to pull out the hang man.

The problem is that although you rightly give warning to the 'rose-tinted specs brigade' your own posts can come across as exactly the opposite! (What's the opposite of rose tinted specs?! Shit covered specs?)

Realism is fine but it's always nice to get a balanced response. There must be some good aspects of Australia's climate. I remember reading a post from a guy the other week who had been there for years and he said that the best thing about Australia is exactly that - the weather. Isn't there a certain responsibility of people who are already there to give that balance?

The guy - like all of us - is about to make a big decision. He needs help and those of you in Australia are the best to help. I have some major worries about living there but it can't be as bad as the 'axe grinders' would have us believe. Sure point out that temperatures can hit the 40s but surely you might also want to point out that the many days of blue skies can be a real mood uplifter.
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by baggie
so after 4 pages of response.........................should i go to oz or enjoy the comfort zone which we have got ourselves into after 16 years hard graft...
If you are comfortable in the UK, and don't have a driving need for change, then the UK may be the best place to stay.

Most who come to, and stay in Australia, do so for the comfort level that they get here. Part of that comfort level is having more time to enjoy life, but often at the expense of a reduction in income, due to not working as much.

That is definitely the case for me, and for others that I know.

Ask yourself this, In 10 years time would you regret not risking what you have and trying Australia ?

Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for dragging your thread off topic baggie, just dislike seeing sensationalised crap being posted merely to provoke a reaction.

As for the original question, I dont think I can really help much as being an aussie, Ive never been driven to move anywhere because of the weather. As much as some people may find it surprising, I quite like the weather where I live, although seeing blue skies for most of the year I hardly think I would be complaining .
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NKSK
Sure point out that temperatures can hit the 40s but surely you might also want to point out that the many days of blue skies can be a real mood uplifter.
Also point out Exactly where they hit the 40's, on a regular enough basis for it to be a concern.

Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by NKSK
The problem is that although you rightly give warning to the 'rose-tinted specs brigade' your own posts can come across as exactly the opposite! (What's the opposite of rose tinted specs?! Shit covered specs?)

Realism is fine but it's always nice to get a balanced response. There must be some good aspects of Australia's climate. I remember reading a post from a guy the other week who had been there for years and he said that the best thing about Australia is exactly that - the weather. Isn't there a certain responsibility of people who are already there to give that balance?

The guy - like all of us - is about to make a big decision. He needs help and those of you in Australia are the best to help. I have some major worries about living there but it can't be as bad as the 'axe grinders' would have us believe. Sure point out that temperatures can hit the 40s but surely you might also want to point out that the many days of blue skies can be a real mood uplifter.
Absolutely, positively, totally agree! Tried to give you karma, but it wouldnt let me.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Also point out Exactly where they hit the 40's, on a regular enough basis for it to be a concern.
Camooweal. Now who was it that was migrating there?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:39 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I live on Romney Marsh in Kent which is so bleak in winter.... but in the summer it comes alive.

I feel much happier now BUT it wont change anything - after all we've only had a couple of days of "summer" so far anyway and we're going for more than nice weather........ fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.