Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

see'ing the uk in a different light

see'ing the uk in a different light

Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:52 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: see'ing the uk in a different light

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
It's maybe the swing in temp in one day that makes it feel cold on a night time here in Aus. Whereas in UK...it's generally either cold or warm in any one day...... rather than a mixture

I think I know what I mean

If anyone else does ...then could you please explain it to me
It's not the actual temperature that makes us feel cold, its the Change

eg: If it is normally 20.0 °C in the UK, and it drops to 5.0 °C, then it feels cold ( a drop of 15°C )
So.. here in Australia if it is 35.0 °C, and it drops by the same figure of 15°C, then we will feel just as cold even though it is still 20°C here.

Does that make sense ?

Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:55 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's EXACTLY what I meant. Cheers ABCDiamond

Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

eg: If it is normally 20.0 °C in the UK, and it drops to 5.0 °C, then it feels cold ( a drop of 15°C )
So.. here in Australia if it is 35.0 °C, and it drops by the same figure of 15°C, then we will feel just as cold even though it is still 20°C here.

Does that make sense ?

makes perfect sense like here in uk we been having about 15 degrees so when it jumps up to 26 like yesterday it's like someone opening the oven door,

nice weather for cricket tho..

cant wait to see the papers tomorrow with pictures of people packed onto brighton beach like sardines in can just enough space for their 5ft by 2ft beach towel they usually use once a year when they go to benidorm...
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:58 am
Badge

Good to see our panel of experts MrsD and ABC bringing some credibility to the forum. 33.something is quite low, even by Melbourne standards.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 19th 2005 at 7:00 am.

Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

ha ha ha just found this link keep an eye on it should prove my point...

http://www.worldlive.cz/en/webcams-1...brighton-beach
Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:01 am
Phoenixuk2oz

[QUOTE=baggie]makes perfect sense like here in uk we been having about 15 degrees so when it jumps up to 26 like yesterday it's like someone opening the oven door [\QUOTE]

Not quite: We're talking about a swing in temp in one day here in Aus

Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by baggie
makes perfect sense like here in uk we been having about 15 degrees so when it jumps up to 26 like yesterday it's like someone opening the oven door,

nice weather for cricket tho..

cant wait to see the papers tomorrow with pictures of people packed onto brighton beach like sardines in can just enough space for their 5ft by 2ft beach towel they usually use once a year when they go to benidorm...
Yes Brighton beach is going to be even more packed today as the London- Brighton bike race is on also and I think there is a big barbie planned as well.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by baggie
now that summer seems to arrived (at least this week anyway) does anyone else see the uk in a different light opposed to the gloomy winters,
the fields are green and yellow you can go out for a picnic, the countryside is beautiful,long light evenings sat outside getting dark at 10,the schools (in our area anyway)are very good,grandparents get to see the grandchildren at least once a fortnight rather than maybe once a year,i have a good job well paid,nice house blah blah blah

spose what i'm trying to say is
we have been planning to emigrate since last october during the winter (while perth is in the 30's and we are dropping to 1-10 degrees)but now we are approaching our summer(fingers crossed)i'm thinking is the uk really that bad,do we really need the upheavel my kids are 2 & 4 so could cope with it,but after a lovely day like this does it make anyone else question why they are leaving all that they know to fly to the other side of the world for a 'better life' which could well be on their doorstep...

sorry for the waffle i'll blame that on the strongbow and the heat...

karl
How long does the weather last like that in the UK? Couple of weeks at best, maybe 6 if its a good year....In Sydney we've been here 5 months and had about 2 weeks in total of overcast/rainy weather....
Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:52 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Mean Surface Temperature K:
Earth 288
Moon 250
Mars 213

Minimum Surface Temperature K:
Earth 184
Moon 126
Mars 161

Maximum Surface Temperature K:
Earth 331
Moon 373
Mars 265
Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:55 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Megalania
Earth 288
Moon 250
Mars 213

Earth 184
Moon 126
Mars 161

Earth 331
Moon 373
Mars 265

Megs...have you been drinking that Possum urine mixture again

Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:02 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Megs...have you been drinking that Possum urine mixture again
Bit early. Do teach temperature in PommyLand schools or are they waiting for numeracy skills first?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:08 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Bit early. Do teach temperature in PommyLand schools or are they waiting for numeracy skills first?
PMSL.....I suggest you start on it now then. You need it

Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Of course it often gets to 48 degrees in Australia in the capital cities all the time?

It never has swings of temp in the UK from 30+ degrees in summer to -10 in winter?

Thought not

Lighten up, we cant have any bad publicity can we

Many people have pointed out the UK has less dramatic temp variations than here, I think some in the past have even done graphs n charts

Australia has a huge variety of temps much of many states reach 48 and way above, very surpirsed most dont know that, not everyone lives on the coast.
Queensland this year has had -5 and to over 50 out west, WA and SA can also experience such extremes. Victoria, even Melbourne can and does reach over 40 just because it hasnt this year doesnt mean it doesnt badge.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 19th 2005 at 8:21 am.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Earth 288
Moon 250
Mars 213

Earth 184
Moon 126
Mars 161

Earth 331
Moon 373
Mars 265

Thank you I had always wondered about that.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
In Sydney we've been here 5 months and had about 2 weeks in total of overcast/rainy weather....
The downside of which is called drought and soon we will be washing and cooking with dust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.