Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

see'ing the uk in a different light

see'ing the uk in a different light

Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:14 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: see'ing the uk in a different light

Originally Posted by Megalania
I think you mean 24 kWh - the difference between today's and yesterday's reading on your electric meter.

So how much does your electricity cost in $ per kWh? Mine - $0.1 / kWh.
I think he means kW which is the amount of kilowatts he has used today.
a kilowatt is 1 unit. therefore he used 24 units that particular day.

If he had used 24 kW in a day, then he has used 1kWh

alk
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:15 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: see'ing the uk in a different light

People must realise that temperatures in Australia are higher than in the UK, and going by the 48°C example quoted ( although not sure about how well inhabited that area is) and when compared to 10/8/2003 38.1°C in Gravesend, Kent, (a pretty well inhabited area 56,000+ pop) then they must expect it to be about 10°C higher on average ?

Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:18 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
So if my annual figure is about $1,220 py then the heating running costs must cost a bit less than the cooling ?
In your location, I'd expect winter heating to be less than summer cooling.

Consider the inside to outside temperature difference maintained in winter and summer. Also, your outside heat exchanger probably does not ice in winter so no extra energy to de-ice it, whereas in summer a substantial amount of energy goes condensing water vapour on the inside heat exchanger during summer.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by alkristensen

alk
Hmm, confusing, but in English Yes, I did use 1kW every hour, on average

Would 24kWh mean 24 Kw per hour ?

I think the Electric people look at it differently, eg: my bill says I use 26.5kWh per day (average in 12months) = 1.1kW per hour

Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:19 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

alk
Other way around.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:21 am
ABCDiamond

In your location, I'd expect winter heating to be less than summer cooling.

Consider the inside to outside temperature difference maintained in winter and summer. Also, your outside heat exchanger probably does not ice in winter so no extra energy to de-ice it, whereas in summer a substantial amount of energy goes condensing water vapour on the inside heat exchanger during summer.
ICE ? What's that, my memory is bad Oh yes.. it's that stuff you put in drinks

Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:23 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

no. if you use 1kwh (1 kilowatt per hour)
And there is 24 hours in the day
How many kilo watts have you used

24 kilowatts
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:26 am
Banned

ICE ? What's that, my memory is bad Oh yes.. it's that stuff you put in drinks
Actually, in winter, if the outside heat exchanger produces water of condenstation (but not ice) then you get the heat of condensation - making the heat pump more efficient because the temperature of the air flowing through the outside heat exchanger does not fall as much as it would if the air was dry.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:29 am
Banned

no. if you use 1kwh (1 kilowatt per hour)
And there is 24 hours in the day
How many kilo watts have you used

24 kilowatts
Insist all you like, you are still wrong - unless British physics has redefined power as energy and energy as power while I was not watching.

No, kW and kWh still retain their conventional meanings in British English:
kilowatt-hour

as in non-British Eglish:
kilowatt-hour

Last edited by Megalania; Jun 20th 2005 at 1:46 am.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:59 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

People must realise that temperatures in Australia are higher than in the UK, and going by the 48°C example quoted ( although not sure about how well inhabited that area is) and when compared to 10/8/2003 38.1°C in Gravesend, Kent, (a pretty well inhabited area 56,000+ pop) then they must expect it to be about 10°C higher on average ?
I used to live less than 60 miles from Thargomindah (population about 250!), temps do quite often get to 40+ in summer, but I doubt many people on this forum are ever even going to visit there, let alone live there. Also, you are taking about the equivilent latitude of somewhere in Spain or Portugal - would people from the UK be so very surprised to realise that it gets hot there too?

I also cannot for the life of me figure out why people wouldnt expect it to get cold in parts of Australia????? If it was positioned on the equator I could understand it - but we arent! Its called seasons - summer & winter!

As for the heating debate - Ive had exactly the same conversation with Dagboy about people on this forum plenty of times. If it is cold in the UK, people turn their heating on or put warmer clothes on. So what makes it any different when it gets cold in Australia?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:00 am
Banned

Insist all you like, you are still wrong - unless British physics has redefined power as energy and energy as power while I was not watching.
Quote abcd

I think the Electric people look at it differently, eg: my bill says I use 26.5kWh per day (average in 12months) = 1.1kW per hour

Are the elctric company wrong or do my sums add up to this evaluation too?

Watt do you generate the answer to be?

26.5kilowatts/24 hours =1.1416667 kilowatts per hour.

How is this aussie companie working this out. Or are they brits?

Anyway to get back on thread.
To original poster:
Only you can decide whether 2 good days of sun in the uk per year (i live in manchester and thats the truth)and whether to leave your friends, family and lovely english countryside behind.
Weigh up all the pros and cons and dont do it lightly. Rent out your house if necessary as we are mortgage free and will have a nice rental income while we are making our minds up what to do (jobwise) and where to live, and if we hate it that much, then we always have a fall back plan as the house isnt going anywhere, and if all goes to plan, then we sell and can buy 2 or 3 properties in oz and rent the others out and not bother having to work as hard. Its all about lifestyle changes for us, and obviously the education system is better in oz with all the long words that megalamania comes out with, im all for antidisestablishmentarianism, bot speeling isnt my field, i am in chemistry and floccinaucinihilipilification is boring.

We have just learnt about a tryptophan synthetase A protein, an enzyme with 267 amino acids whos name is methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleuc ylphenylalanyla lanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglut amylglycylalany lphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonyll eucylglycylaspa rtylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylle ucyllysylisoleu cylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylgl ycylalanylaspar tylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolyl phenylalanylser ylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylth reonyliso leucylglutaminylaspfraginylalanylthreonylleucylarg inylalanylpheny lalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanyl glutaminylcyste inylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucy lisoleucylargin ylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylpr olylisoleucylgl ycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginyll eucylvalylpheny lalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglut amylphenylalany ltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvaly lglycylva lylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvaly lprolylvalylglu taminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginy lglutaminylalan ylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalany lprolylisoleucy lphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylasparty lalanylaspartyl aspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisole ucylalanylseryl tyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylle ucylleucylseryl arginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutam ylasparag inylarginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylasparagin ylhistidylleucy lvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparag inylalanylalany lprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylgly cylisoleucylser ylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylal anylisoleucylas partylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucy lserylglycylser ylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucylisoleucylgluta mylglutaminylhi stidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylglutamylly sylmethio nylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylv alylglutaminylp rolylmethion yllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine.

good luck with what you decide, its not easy.
alk
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:10 am
ABCDiamond

No, kW and kWh still retain their conventional meanings in British English:
kilowatt-hour

as in non-British Eglish:
kilowatt-hour
You have to agree, that to the layman, it is confusing
The kilowatt-hour (symbolized kWh) is a unit of energy equivalent to one kilowatt (1 kW) of power expended for one hour (1 h) of time. The kilowatt-hour is not a standard unit in any formal system, but it is commonly used in electrical applications.
kWh = Kilo Watt Hour - which sounds like it means Kilowatts per hour

Yet if I use 24kWh every day, it seems to be saying that I use 24 Kilowatts per hour per day, which is do I use 24 kilowatts every hour or every day.

Who isn't confused ? (excluding electricians )

Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:24 am
diegomaradonna

You have to agree, that to the layman, it is confusing

kWh = Kilo Watt Hour - which sounds like it means Kilowatts per hour

Yet if I use 24kWh every day, it seems to be saying that I use 24 Kilowatts per hour per day, which is do I use 24 kilowatts every hour or every day.

Who isn't confused ? (excluding electricians )
the bottom line is ABCD , its cheaper than the uk. as are most things and its getting worse too.
I heard on the radio the other day they are thinking of making you pay for calls recieved on your mobile as well as sent!!

Also, we may be getting charged per mile of what we drive soon.

Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:36 am
Banned

Quote abcd

Are the elctric company wrong or do my sums add up to this evaluation too?

Watt do you generate the answer to be?

26.5kilowatts/24 hours =1.1416667 kilowatts per hour.

How is this aussie companie working this out. Or are they brits?

Its all about lifestyle changes for us, and obviously the education system is better in oz with all the long words that megalamania comes out with, im all for antidisestablishmentarianism, bot speeling isnt my field, i am in chemistry and floccinaucinihilipilification is boring.

We have just learnt about a tryptophan synthetase A protein, an enzyme with 267 amino acids whos name is methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleuc ylphenylalanyla lanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglut amylglycylalany lphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonyll eucylglycylaspa rtylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylle ucyllysylisoleu cylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylgl ycylalanylaspar tylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolyl phenylalanylser ylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylth reonyliso leucylglutaminylaspfraginylalanylthreonylleucylarg inylalanylpheny lalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanyl glutaminylcyste inylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucy lisoleucylargin ylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylpr olylisoleucylgl ycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginyll eucylvalylpheny lalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglut amylphenylalany ltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvaly lglycylva lylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvaly lprolylvalylglu taminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginy lglutaminylalan ylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalany lprolylisoleucy lphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylasparty lalanylaspartyl aspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisole ucylalanylseryl tyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylle ucylleucylseryl arginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutam ylasparag inylarginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylasparagin ylhistidylleucy lvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparag inylalanylalany lprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylgly cylisoleucylser ylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylal anylisoleucylas partylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucy lserylglycylser ylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucylisoleucylgluta mylglutaminylhi stidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylglutamylly sylmethio nylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylv alylglutaminylp rolylmethion yllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine.

good luck with what you decide, its not easy.
alk
Well, if you are "in chemistry", you must have had years of profound and selective narcolepsy in physics classes or a profound lack of curiosity in the basics of our world.

x kW per hour is grammatic nonsense. x kW for y hours is grammatically correct.

Is a 100 W electric light rated at 100 W per hour or is it simply rated at 100 W - regardless of the time it is connected to electric power?

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Last edited by Megalania; Jun 20th 2005 at 2:41 am.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:41 am
Banned

Well, if you are "in chemistry", you must have had years of profound and selective narcolepsy in physics classes or a profound lack of curiosity in the basics of our world.

x kW per hour is grammatic nonsense. x kW for y hours is grammatically correct.

Is a 100 W electric light rated at 100 W per hour or is it simply rated at 100 W - regargless of the time it is connected to electric power?

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
yes to all the above.xxx :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.