Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

see'ing the uk in a different light

see'ing the uk in a different light

Old Jun 18th 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future
Default see'ing the uk in a different light

now that summer seems to arrived (at least this week anyway) does anyone else see the uk in a different light opposed to the gloomy winters,
the fields are green and yellow you can go out for a picnic, the countryside is beautiful,long light evenings sat outside getting dark at 10,the schools (in our area anyway)are very good,grandparents get to see the grandchildren at least once a fortnight rather than maybe once a year,i have a good job well paid,nice house blah blah blah

spose what i'm trying to say is
we have been planning to emigrate since last october during the winter (while perth is in the 30's and we are dropping to 1-10 degrees)but now we are approaching our summer(fingers crossed)i'm thinking is the uk really that bad,do we really need the upheavel my kids are 2 & 4 so could cope with it,but after a lovely day like this does it make anyone else question why they are leaving all that they know to fly to the other side of the world for a 'better life' which could well be on their doorstep...

sorry for the waffle i'll blame that on the strongbow and the heat...

karl
Old Jun 18th 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice
Default Re: see'ing the uk in a different light

it's not just the weather

derek
Old Jun 18th 2005, 6:49 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by baggie
now that summer seems to arrived (at least this week anyway) does anyone else see the uk in a different light opposed to the gloomy winters,
the fields are green and yellow you can go out for a picnic, the countryside is beautiful,long light evenings sat outside getting dark at 10,the schools (in our area anyway)are very good,grandparents get to see the grandchildren at least once a fortnight rather than maybe once a year,i have a good job well paid,nice house blah blah blah

we have been planning to emigrate since last october during the winter (while perth is in the 30's and we are dropping to 1-10 degrees)but now we are approaching our summer(fingers crossed)i'm thinking is the uk really that bad,do we really need the upheavel my kids are 2 & 4 so could cope with it,but after a lovely day like this does it make anyone else question why they are leaving all that they know to fly to the other side of the world for a 'better life' which could well be on their doorstep...

karl

The obvious response is - put yourself forward to the end of October this year!!

I agree with you completely - I've always said that there's nowhere better in the world than England on a summers day. The trouble is of course is that it's so unreliable.

Having said that a report in the times today suggested that England will be like the med in 50 years time. So our grand kids probably won't be emigrating to Aus for weather reasons!
Old Jun 18th 2005, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NKSK
The obvious response is - put yourself forward to the end of October this year!!

I agree with you completely - I've always said that there's nowhere better in the world than England on a summers day. The trouble is of course is that it's so unreliable.

Having said that a report in the times today suggested that England will be like the med in 50 years time. So our grand kids probably won't be emigrating to Aus for weather reasons!

but is moving to aus worth it just for the good weather?

instead of wrapping the kids in woolys and coats they get covered in sun cream every couple of hours..

sorry for the smart arse answers but we are stock between a rock and a hard place about moving to oz and days like today been to the park,been with the grandparents/parents and makes me wonder if ourlife change could be something as simple as moving out to a rural area
Old Jun 18th 2005, 7:25 pm
aussie73

Yes, but is'nt there more to be gained immigrating to OZ then nice weather which it has alot more of then the UK, for example OZ is a country 70 times the size of the Uk with 3 times less the population which means plenty of open spaces, less crowds, conjestion, pollution. OZ as the largest island on earth has thousands of miles of scenic, unspoilt coastline which is great for swimming, surfing etc. Oz has plenty of great national parks and a variety of scenic places and landscapes, from tropical islands and the great barrier reef and rainforests in Queensland, snowcapped mountains in NSW and Victoria etc. The cost of housing is cheaper which means many people immigrating can live in a larger house mortgage free.

Old Jun 18th 2005, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aussie73
Yes, but is'nt there more to be gained immigrating to OZ then nice weather which it has alot more of then the UK, for example OZ is a country 70 times the size of the Uk with 3 times less the population which means plenty of open spaces, less crowds, conjestion, pollution. OZ as the largest island on earth has thousands of miles of scenic, unspoilt coastline which is great for swimming, surfing etc. Oz has plenty of great national parks and a variety of scenic places and landscapes, from tropical islands and the great barrier reef and rainforests in Queensland, snowcapped mountains in NSW and Victoria etc. The cost of housing is cheaper which means many people immigrating can live in a larger house mortgage free.

thx for your reply

i'm not looking for an argument but just someone to counter my questions

we got back from perth 6 weeks ago and have thought of nothing since the old should we go or is our life that bad that we need such a radical change other than a little tweek.

oz is big yes agreed but how often do you venture further than say 10 miles from where you live in you day to day life,

houses are bigger agreed but we are mortgage free in uk and have a 200k house (bought and sold the right propertys at the right time)

the uk (scotland and wales included also europe now that flights are so cheap)also have some stunning coastline/history/heritage.

we have lower tax

free nhs (admittedly more health tourists)

karl
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:24 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

thx for your reply

i'm not looking for an argument but just someone to counter my questions

we got back from perth 6 weeks ago and have thought of nothing since the old should we go or is our life that bad that we need such a radical change other than a little tweek.

oz is big yes agreed but how often do you venture further than say 10 miles from where you live in you day to day life,

houses are bigger agreed but we are mortgage free in uk and have a 200k house (bought and sold the right propertys at the right time)

the uk (scotland and wales included also europe now that flights are so cheap)also have some stunning coastline/history/heritage.

we have lower tax

free nhs (admittedly more health tourists)

karl
Terminal 3 at Heathrow looks very attractive on a summers day! Dont be seduced by the sun here...it wont last! (But I do seriously understand where you are coming from...but all the same...........)

Lucy
Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Ladybird is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=baggie]but is moving to aus worth it just for the good weather?

instead of wrapping the kids in woolys and coats they get covered in sun cream every couple of hours..

No. Its not worth it just for the weather. People kept saying that to me and it made me really cross. Weather should be very low down on your list of reasons for moving to Oz.

And yes having to put suncream on two kids everytime you so much as put a toe outside the door is a pain in the bum, and even after 9 months my youngest still kicks up one hell of a fuss!
Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be sure in your own mind that you are doing the right thing in moving before you move otherwise you will be one of the many who question wheter they should be moving back to the UK after they get here and who eventually return.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 4:41 am
Phoenixuk2oz

I would agree with NedKelly.

If you have no reason to think you'd enjoy Aus any more than UK....then why put yourself and your family through the trauma of emigrating and starting again?

No matter how well off you are you are going to find yourself out of pocket, in a strange country, buying a house and maybe finding jobs. However you dress this up, it's upheaval and expenditure so in my view you have got to want it badly enough.

IMHO...anyone who considers going through this who is half-hearted is going to find it much more difficult than someone who comes here with 100% commitment. Of course no one can tell who's going to make the biggest success of it. There's no way of knowing, or no known recipe for emigration success, or everyone would be 100% happy

The only person / people who can say if it's worth the risk is you and your family Baggie. You have to make that call as it's a personal decision that's based on many variables, and everyone /every family has different reasons for emigrating. Emigration doesn't come without sacrifices of some sorts or another. Unfortunately.

Is it worth it? It was for us. It's what we wanted and what we got. We took a gamble, made sacrifices and went for it and it's not been easy at times. We've been lucky...... and are happy with our "lot"

Good luck...on whatever it is you decide. Your choice will be the right choice

Old Jun 19th 2005, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

karl
Nobody would believe till you have lived it, but when its 38 (or 2) in Perth, 44 in adelaide, a humid day in the city in brisbane, or 4 degrees in a unheated uninsulated house in Melbourne you will dream of the weather in the UK and wonder why you are in OZ

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 19th 2005 at 5:17 am.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 5:24 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Nobody would believe till you have lived it, but when its 38 (or 2) in Perth, 44 in adelaide, a humid day in the city in brisbane, or 4 degrees in a unheated uninsulated house in Melbourne you will dream of the weather in the UK and wonder why you are in OZ
Or:

Nobody would believe till you have lived it, but when its minus degrees in UK, a frosty freesing day, roads gridlocked and you're stranded and can't get home....or in the mornings on your way to work when its cold and the sky is grey....and you've got a car that won't go anywhere until the windscreen defrosts ands you have to pour warm water on it cos the heater isn't quick enough.....then you will dream of the weather in Aus and wonder why you are in UK

Brrrrrrrr

It's all about choice. No right, no wrong. Just personal choice

Old Jun 19th 2005, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

thanks for all our replies still not made our minds up but looks like another beaut day 30 degrees again in the uk,maybe a trip to stratford for a picnic by the river will help.

how come making the decisision doesnt get any easier???

forgot to mention the missus is in dublin for the weekend with her mates so i got no one else to unload my confusion on

karl
Old Jun 19th 2005, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Or:

Nobody would believe till you have lived it, but when its minus degrees in UK, a frosty freesing day, roads gridlocked and you're stranded and can't get home....or in the mornings on your way to work when its cold and the sky is grey....and you've got a car that won't go anywhere until the windscreen defrosts ands you have to pour warm water on it cos the heater isn't quick enough.....then you will dream of the weather in Aus and wonder why you are in UK
Just trying to work out who on this board wouldnt know what the UK weather is like

Still think by the threads lately many are not prepared for the swings of OZ temps I bet 4 degree winters to 48 summers dont get factored in when movign for better weather
Old Jun 19th 2005, 5:52 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You need to be sure in your own mind that you are doing the right thing in moving before you move otherwise you will be one of the many who question wheter they should be moving back to the UK after they get here and who eventually return.
Not necesarily..... how about just doing it for the experience? why does it have to be forever?
Its not for me but I am very glad I came and tried it and have no regrets at all.
Michaela

PS Your wife missing weekends in dublin with her friends may be a much bigger issue than the weather

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.