Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

see'ing the uk in a different light

see'ing the uk in a different light

Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:03 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: see'ing the uk in a different light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just trying to work out who on this board wouldnt know what the UK weather is like . Still think by the threads lately many are not prepared for the swings of OZ temps I bet 4 degree winters to 48 summers dont get factored in when movign for better weather
Was just teasing J&R

Yep....I guess you're right re the climate changes being so drastic. Most newbies probably don't expect to get the variations of hot/cold like we do. I've even worn fleecy jimjams and taken a hot water bottle to bed these last couple of nights. Something I never thought I'd have to do in Aus

Bloomin cold here at night times. All's that's missing for bedtime now is me ballaclava, socks and gloves

Not a fetching sight.... I can tell ya

Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

Just trying to work out who on this board wouldnt know what the UK weather is like

Still think by the threads lately many are not prepared for the swings of OZ temps I bet 4 degree winters to 48 summers dont get factored in when movign for better weather
makes me laugh here people already moaning about how hot it is and muggy,then they moan when it goes cold,
seems the majority of people in uk could moaning as their main hobby

with regards the missus missing weekends away thats another reason,she is really scared of the whole friend network thing and i have to admit i see where she is coming from when she says at the start she would have no one to talk to most of the day but a 4 and 2 year old,which can be fun but not the most sane of conversations.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Baggie
I think its difficult because the truth is theres rarely a 'right' answer or a 'wrong' answer...I suppose the best thing is to make a decision and really try to make a go of it.
...it's about weighing up what your family really want...and of course you'll never really know if Australia was a good decision until you've been and tried it! (not v helpful advise I guess!)
It is a long way to come and yes it is a big upheaval! This isn't to say it isn't a wonderful country....(but then I love the UK too!)... I just can't think of many occasions when so much changes at once...new pals, jobs, homes, country, hemisphere!
What I would say is, be clear of your reasons for wanting to move. And think, could you achieve the lifestyle you want closer to home? If its the weather you want, why not move elsewhere in Europe, where it would be easier to travel to see family more often? Or why not rent your house initially and just decide to give it a year or two here to see how you cope?
...or if you're reasonably financially secure, why not just sod it and have an adventure with the kids!
...or why not have another strongbow & wait til your wife gets home and talks some sense into you...
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:20 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by baggie
makes me laugh here people already moaning about how hot it is and muggy,then they moan when it goes cold,

with regards the missus missing weekends away thats another reason,she is really scared of the whole friend network thing and i have to admit i see where she is coming from when she says at the start she would have no one to talk to most of the day but a 4 and 2 year old,which can be fun but not the most sane of conversations.

The friend/family thing seems to be the reason lots of us go home, particularly women, its really easy to meet people here, especially with little ones, but meeting people you want to talk to is more of a challenge After 16 months I still talk to my close friends 2/3 times a week and its just too hard.

Still dont regret it, several of my closest friends have had wonderful holidays here with us!

Good luck,
Michaela.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:24 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Still think by the threads lately many are not prepared for the swings of OZ temps I bet 4 degree winters to 48 summers dont get factored in when movign for better weather
Of course it often gets to 48 degrees in Australia in the capital cities all the time?

It never has swings of temp in the UK from 30+ degrees in summer to -10 in winter?

Thought not
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
Baggie
I think its difficult because the truth is theres rarely a 'right' answer or a 'wrong' answer...I suppose the best thing is to make a decision and really try to make a go of it.
...it's about weighing up what your family really want...and of course you'll never really know if Australia was a good decision until you've been and tried it! (not v helpful advise I guess!)
It is a long way to come and yes it is a big upheaval! This isn't to say it isn't a wonderful country....(but then I love the UK too!)... I just can't think of many occasions when so much changes at once...new pals, jobs, homes, country, hemisphere!
What I would say is, be clear of your reasons for wanting to move. And think, could you achieve the lifestyle you want closer to home? If its the weather you want, why not move elsewhere in Europe, where it would be easier to travel to see family more often? Or why not rent your house initially and just decide to give it a year or two here to see how you cope?
...or if you're reasonably financially secure, why not just sod it and have an adventure with the kids!
...or why not have another strongbow & wait til your wife gets home and talks some sense into you...
thanks for the advice,
looked at europe but the language barrier would be a problem with my job (electrician in construction industry)
my wife talk sense into ? she's as confused as me we have what we call oz days or uk days depending on where we feel would best to live on that day,to be honest the weather is far down our list our main priority is our kids having the best upbringing we could possibly give them whether that is in the uk or oz we cant decide,they have outdoor lifestyle,beaches and parks on hand in perth but in uk they have a big family and friends network grandparents on tap etc dont feel i need to go on you all know the pro's and cons of going or staying,

people keep mentioning the space thing but out in rural areas you can get a few miles between villages and areas which are all green belt?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Of course it often gets to 48 degrees in Australia in the capital cities all the time?

It never has swings of temp in the UK from 30+ degrees in summer to -10 in winter?

Thought not
-10?????

in 33 years dont think i've ever seen a winter with -10

oh maybe that one winter i spent in alaska.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:30 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry, it doesnt seem to stop when they get to Australia either!
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:32 am
Badge

Just trying to work out who on this board wouldnt know what the UK weather is like

48 is an extreme methinks....37-40 is the max in Melbourne - on a few days/weeks(!) a year the reality is that Melbourne summers are very pleasant with occasional changes. Winters are less harsh and the log fire is a beut.

It is 16 today and the sun is out -city friends are over- jaws are dropping when they see what we have here - and no - it is not souless where we live - right now there is no place I would rather be..

You know, I never noticed the weather in the UK - until I moved to australia - now I am interested in it - the 2 places in the world where metrology is interesting. These posts always come out on the best UK days - how many of these days do you get a year!? Apparently - few - if you believe what you read here(!) 2003 was perfect- but that - with hindsight was not usual.

I have spent 2 summers in the UK in 8 years - 2000/2003 when I call home other years everyone is complaining - people who have never been to straya.

BAdge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 19th 2005 at 6:36 am.

Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Gease is an unknown quantity at this point

If you stay longer than 3 months your will have your answer.

The trouble is, its difficult to go back after awhile as you tend to miss England when your here and Aus when your there.

Came for 3 months 28 years ago!
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:37 am
Rocket Scientist

-10?????

Away from the coast, spells of frosty weather with clear and calm nights have produced records such as -15.0 °C at Exeter Airport on 24 January 1958 and Bastreet (Cornwall) on 1 January 1979. Yeovilton (Somerset) reported -16.1 °C on 14 January 1982.
Trust me, in 40 years I have never experienced 48 degrees in summer in Australia either!
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:38 am
Phoenixuk2oz

It's maybe the swing in temp in one day that makes it feel cold on a night time here in Aus. Whereas in UK...it's generally either cold or warm in any one day...... rather than a mixture

I think I know what I mean

If anyone else does ...then could you please explain it to me

Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:39 am
Badge

[QUOTE=Badge] Mrs D - lol- what I thought. Won't nitpick your figures! (probably averaging -3 to 22 really)

Maybe 30 on a good year, -7 (in some parts of the country) on a really bad year. It was unusually -5 in London in 1996/7 I remember. It rarely goes below 0 in the day in London. I have been keeping an eye on stats this year and Perth cops it - 37ish, the outback gets hot but 48 in capital cities is taking the piss we all know that.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 19th 2005 at 6:42 am.

Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Highest recorded 38.5 °C at Brogdale, near Faversham in Kent on 10 August 2003.

Lowest recorded -26.1 °C at Newport (Shropshire) on 10 January 1982.
Thats just England!

48 degrees in Australia is not average either!

Interesting to know if any of the major capital cities have ever reached 48. Brisbane hasnt even come close.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 6:47 am
ABCDiamond

-10?????

We had -9.3°C in NSW on 16th August 2004, but it was in Thredbo

The highest temperature we have had here, in the last 12 months, has been 33.9 °C. By "here" I refer to Cleveland in the Redlands, also known as "Brisbane Bayside"

Cleveland Weather

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.