Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

see'ing the uk in a different light

see'ing the uk in a different light

Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:06 pm
Badge

Default Re: see'ing the uk in a different light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The OP isnt offended by my post, you are. It merely ponted out OZ gets a bigger range of temps than the UK, it never said they were day to day temps, that was assumed by the defensive.

Suggest everyone takes a trip outback and would understand WTF as you put it I am talking about.
I am not offended by your post I just think you are a troublemaker. If it wasn't for the smilies and the humour you would be a troll at times basically. You always jump in with a piss take/sensationalist comment regardless of where the discussion is going that's all - you know what I mean.

I have been outback and I have worked in temps approaching 40+ .Many don't ever need to.

badge

Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
I am not offended by your post I just think you are a troublemaker. If it wasn't for the smilies and the humour you would be a troll at times basically. You always jump in with a piss take/sensationalist comment regardless of where the discussion is going that's all - you know what I mean.

badge

The sensational post that caused your massive over reaction merely stated many places in OZ get a big swing in temps from winter to summer, nothng else nothng nasty at all. Go back and read it.

That fact is backed up by lots of threads with people saying they are freezing in Perth/Brissie and the current one running do you get used to the heat. If it was summer there would be threads on people not coping with the heat. We do get extremes.

Last month you were accusing my wife of troll like behaviour because she wrote about a couple of forum member english friends who found out they needed permits before they could serve coffee, if you dont find that amusing tough! Get a sense of humour.

I seriously cant believe people need to be so defensive they can read something into a comment on the weather.

This forum has a very defensive crowd who go to great extremes to stop anyone coming out with an alternative opinion and that in itself is troll behaviour.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

This is the sort of thing that certainly puts the UK in a different light: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...0&in_a_source=
Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:32 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

The sensational post that caused your massive over reaction merely stated many places in OZ get a big swing in temps from winter to summer, nothng else nothng nasty at all. Go back and read it.

That fact is backed up by lots of threads with people saying they are freezing in Perth/Brissie and the current one running do you get used to the heat. If it was summer there would be threads on people not coping with the heat. We do get extremes.

Last month you were accusing my wife of troll like behaviour because she wrote about a couple of forum member english friends who found out they needed permits before they could serve coffee, if you dont find that amusing tough! Get a sense of humour.

I seriously cant believe people need to be so defensive they can read something into a comment on the weather.

This forum has a very defensive crowd who go to great extremes to stop anyone coming out with an alternative opinion and that in itself is troll behaviour.
Well, I'm amazed and disappointed that so many Pom Immos here grizzle and groan about temperatures (ignorance?) and seem quite incapable of formulating a considered response to temperature change (impractical?).

Is it that the grizzlers and groaners are wallowing in that Pom cultural heritage - whinging, or just have an unfortunate turn of phrase when it comes to light conversation, or are they simply, plainly, the ignorant and impractical?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:43 pm
ABCDiamond

I keep reading comments on the fact that it gets cold here, and houses have no heating, such as:
Most homes have no heating, so a small gas fire is no compensation for the central heating we have here
It puzzles me no end.

The first house that I bought in the UK had no heating, but I had it installed, and that fixed the cold house problem in the UK.

The first house that I bought in Australia had no heating, but I had it installed, and that fixed the cold house problem in Australia.

I personally can't see what the difference is.

We are running our reverse cycle air conditioning on the heating cycle at night at the moment, and that keeps us warmer than we really need.
During the last 24 hours we used 24kW of Electric power, including that heating, hot water and cooking, etc. So the running costs for that heating to us are negligble.

Admittadly it will be more expensive to run in the colder areas, but even then, we ran it 24 hours per day when we lived in Sydney, and it was cheaper than running the gas central heating in the UK, during 1996-2000.

If it is so cold why don't people have something like reverse cycle air con installed ?
Anyone considering moving to Australia, but has concerns about the cold houses, should consider doing what you would do in the UK.

Make sure you have Roof Insulation and Heating installed. And if it is really that bad, then you can even have double glazing put in.
I have even known some people to go to the extreme and have houses built with double brick walls with insulation inbetween. Yes, that's available here in Australia too, if you want it.

Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:59 pm
Badge

You are wiggling out of it. Many people have commented on the swing - and have said what you have said - but they do not sensationalise like you do - that was my only point - I do not care about the specifics, as for the defensive crowd- we (they) are defending against sensationalism that's all. By taking the piss constantly you may confuse and mislead. You do it regardless of the way something is going when you know people get confused and anxious. yes I have read your first post in this thread. I am just reading between the lines to get your apparent intent. We'll move on - I probably need not have said anything but I did.

badge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 20th 2005 at 12:05 am.

Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:00 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
During the last 24 hours we used 24kW of Electric power, including that heating, hot water and cooking, etc. So the running costs for that heating to us are negligble.
I think you mean 24 kWh - the difference between today's and yesterday's reading on your electric meter.

So how much does your electricity cost in $ per kWh? Mine - $0.1 / kWh.

Last edited by Megalania; Jun 20th 2005 at 12:18 am.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:05 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by baggie
thx for your reply

i'm not looking for an argument but just someone to counter my questions

we got back from perth 6 weeks ago and have thought of nothing since the old should we go or is our life that bad that we need such a radical change other than a little tweek.

oz is big yes agreed but how often do you venture further than say 10 miles from where you live in you day to day life,

houses are bigger agreed but we are mortgage free in uk and have a 200k house (bought and sold the right propertys at the right time)

the uk (scotland and wales included also europe now that flights are so cheap)also have some stunning coastline/history/heritage.

we have lower tax

free nhs (admittedly more health tourists)

karl
I for one have found it VERY difficult to settle in OZ. Miss family, friends, everything in England by bucketloads. Now that I have spent 6 months here, I can look back at England, from the outside, and see that it has alot to offer in terms of history and culture, and cheap holidays to Europe.

Yes, the weather IS better here, but it doesn't compensate for what we have left behind.

You've put it all down there, lower tax, free nhs. here, its lower salaries, higher tax, and same cost of living. There are lots of extras you have to pay for, such as $54 for a docs visit (ok you get $30 back), but thats still £10. You have to pay $350/$400 for school stationaery and fundraising, you have to pay stamp duty on 2nd hand cars, you have to pay to go to the household tip......

and the supermarkets are c**p
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Fastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant future

Hi it's difficult to give advice on whether the move is worth it or not. We have been here for 5 months and I love it but hubby wants to return as Sydney is a lot more expensive than we realised and kids missing grandparents is a big deal if you are close. I Love the weather now (winter) but not sure how much fun 40 degrees with two kids will be. In UK we could go away for weekend when ever and leave kids with grand parents and when they are small the break is needed!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Megalania
I think you mean 24 kWh - the difference between today's and yesterday's reading on your electric meter.

So how much does your electricity cost in $ per kWh? Mine - $0.1 / kWh.
Kw, kW, KWH, kWh, it's all so confusing

The First 100 kWh per month costs $0.1927
Next 300 per month $0.1309
Remainder $0.1168

So basically any extra usage, above the basic norm would be at $0.1168 per kWh

Overall though, and using air con and/or heating as and when required to maintain a decent comfort level, my electric bills come to:
Total over the entire year (encompassing all seasons)
Tariff 33 - 3,344kWh at a cost of $264 (Hot water only)
Tariff 11 - 6,981kWh at a cost of $956 (All other power, heating ,cooling & cooking)
Total being $1,219.35 equivalent to $23.32 per week

I wonder how that compares to a UK Electric and Gas combination ?

Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kendodd
I for one have found it VERY difficult to settle in OZ. Miss family, friends, everything in England by bucketloads. Now that I have spent 6 months here, I can look back at England, from the outside, and see that it has alot to offer in terms of history and culture, and cheap holidays to Europe.

Yes, the weather IS better here, but it doesn't compensate for what we have left behind.

You've put it all down there, lower tax, free nhs. here, its lower salaries, higher tax, and same cost of living. There are lots of extras you have to pay for, such as $54 for a docs visit (ok you get $30 back), but thats still £10. You have to pay $350/$400 for school stationaery and fundraising, you have to pay stamp duty on 2nd hand cars, you have to pay to go to the household tip......

Of course the UK has a lot to offer - it and Aus are two of the world's better places to live in many ways. If you want confirmation of this try living amongst the locals in Papua.

But why would you bugger off to Aus if Pommy history and culture and cheap holidays in the rest of Europe is your thing? Surely this shows an abysmal lack of understanding of geography at the very least? I say it shows a regrettable lack of adaptability to translate those interests into an interest in local history, culture and local cheap travel.

Regards lower salaries, why not go get a higher one - or is your inflexibility showing again? As to taxes, overall taxes are lower in Aus than the UK or did your Pommy shooling not equip you with the required numeracy skills to work that out?

Perhaps you should return to PommyLand and get a job in a supermarket if that is such an important part of "life".
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Kw, kW, KWH, kWh, it's all so confusing

The First 100 kWh per month costs $0.1927
Next 300 per month $0.1309
Remainder $0.1168

So basically any extra usage, above the basic norm would be at $0.1168 per kWh

Overall though, and using air con and/or heating as and when required to maintain a decent comfort level, my electric bills come to:
Total over the entire year (encompassing all seasons)
Tariff 33 - 3,344kWh at a cost of $264 (Hot water only)
Tariff 11 - 6,981kWh at a cost of $956 (All other power, heating ,cooling & cooking)
Total being $1,219.35 equivalent to $23.32 per week

I wonder how that compares to a UK Electric and Gas combination ?
k = kilo = 1,000.
W = Watt = unit of power named after James Watt - a bright lad.
h = hour.

kW = power - the rate of work.
kWh = energy - the amount of work.

So 24 kWh / day @ $0.1168 / kWh = $2.80 / day (at the margin) = $1,022 / year.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kendodd

But it can vary....

I like the fact that we don't need to pay anything for our doctors, (we have used bulk billing doctors in my entire 16 years in this country) and we like the fact that our local council tip is free.
My wife gets paid more here in Australia than she could in the UK.
Our school stationery costs about $150 per year.

Things are different in different parts of Australia, I am not saying that this is the same everywhere, but just pointing out that it isn't all the same.

Many people on here will say that they can't find a bulk billing doctor, and I agree that the number of Doctors doing it has been dropping. But... a quote from a newspaper complaining about this drop says:
Feb 2003
The number of GP services that were bulk-billed fell to 69.6 per cent for the December 2002 quarter, down from 71.2 per cent in the September quarter.

Describing the fall as confirming the demise of bulk-billing, the Australian Medical Association called on the Government to announce its plan, flagged earlier in the week, to provide equitable and affordable health care.

Bulk-billing rates peaked at 80.6 per cent in 1996/97, the year the Howard Government came to office, the association said.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...927802183.html
however the news is getting better:
May 2005
The national GP bulk-billing rate has reached a three-year peak of 73.7 per cent - an increase of 7.2 percentage points since the government introduced its Medicare package in early 2004, the Minister for Health and Ageing, Tony Abbott, said today. This is the first time in 10 years that bulk-billing rates have increased over five successive quarters.
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/mi...-ta-abb052.htm
So, even taking the old figures, if 70% are bulk billed, only 30% have to pay ?
I am one of the 70%

Ohh yes, and we like our Supermarkets, but we buy most of our fresh food at proper shops

Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Just trying to work out who on this board wouldnt know what the UK weather is like

Still think by the threads lately many are not prepared for the swings of OZ temps I bet 4 degree winters to 48 summers dont get factored in when movign for better weather
Here you go, I think some people are forgetting feb 2004, just little over a year ago :

Brisbane city 41.7 (Feb 22 2004) - which doesn't take into account other areas around Brisbane, which hubby has said it did reach a bit higher than that where we live in Pine .
For the same month:
Thargomindah ( Qld) 46.3 ( feb 16 2004 ) - close to your 48, but again again doesn't take into account surrounding areas, it is where the weather stations are these readings of course, so will probably find 48 in other parts around that area

Missed it myself, It was the month I was back in the UK, but had a full blown account from Hubby who was moaning about it lol. It was the same period that we had some bad storms too, lost a few trees on our property, and apparently had a beautiful river running through our land ( from the creek we have at the back of the property) - I missed all the fun
http://www.bom.gov.au/announcements/...20040223.shtml
cheers
.................................................. .................................................. ....

sun - what sun? I'm enjoying the "British like drizzle" we are having at the moment here in Brisbane, weather has been like this since yesterday - lovely, lovely, lovely lol . sun gets a bit boring, give us rain on the trees , on the earth - nothing smells quite like it.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Megalania
k = kilo = 1,000.
W = Watt = unit of power named after James Watt - a bright lad.
h = hour.

kW = power - the rate of work.
kWh = energy - the amount of work.

So 24 kWh / day @ $0.1168 / kWh = $2.80 / day (at the margin) = $1,022 / year.
So if my annual figure is about $1,220 py then the heating running costs must cost a bit less than the cooling ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.